You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is the word 'Party' English or Hindi?

As per my understanding, the word 'Party' is an English word, not a Hindi word. We being Hindustani, we mix up the word English word Party with other Hindi words. Take the example of a major political party BJP. BJP is expanded as Bharathiya Janatha Party. While the words Bharathiya and Janatha are of Hindi, the word Party is of English. Also JP (Janatha Party) SP(Samajwadi Party) BSP(Bahujan Samajwadi Party) TDP(Telugu Desam Party) etc.

We could drive away the British, but we could not drive away their English. We cannot be pure Indian with Hindi without mixing English in our language, may it be Hindi or any regional.

Why not we Indians who love and respect Hindi think of party names without mixing the word Party? Do you have any reason to support the use of Party in BJP/JP/SP/BSP or any other political party with the word party in their name?
    Author illistrate very funny language culture vto set the party name by mixing the Hindi and English. We can say it a tail the Englishmen left behind and we are using it. There is another party it's name is Janta Dal United. I am also suprised that the tradition of ending party name with an English word. Congress, sashtrawadi Congress are other examples.
    Prasanna
    Well done is better than well said

It's a normal course to choose the name which reflect the identity & the opinion of the party but at the same time easy to understand to the commons & I don't feel that adding with the "PARTY" word would make the overall impression in the negative perspective.

If we go as per the understanding of the author than any of us should have some Sanskrit word with our identity such as name but than this would be complicated because we are not aware of this language even on the elementary stage. I have used the Sanskrit language because this land was most fond of this language with the individuals having the knowledge of this had been considered with the most literate & educated personalities of the society once.

I think, while forming the parties, the founder leaders did not give a good thought it. Now our Hindi is blended with English. And we are unable to get the word party out from the party.

Thanks to Prasanna for coming out with other parties with a mixture of Hindi and English.

No life without Sun

Yes. It is true. Bharatiya and Janatha are Hindi words but the party is an English word. Telugu and Desam are Telugu words but Party is a Hindi word. Like this there is a mix up of the' party' word is there with almost all the other names of the parties. In India, English is very popular in almost all areas of the country. Always they mix up English words with their local words. We rarely speak a sentence in our local language without an English word. Even for some English words, we don't know the equivalent local language word.
    I don't know the equivalent word for Party in Hindi. Maybe it is only to see that the name of the party will be easily remembered they are using this mix-up. Otherwise, they may have to name their party as Bharathiya Janata parishat (BJP) and Telugu Desam parishat(TDP) or so.
    But the names of Congress and Communist parties are completely in English only. If we have to use only Hindi words for Parties the names of these two parties should be completely changed.

drrao
    always confident

The Hindi speaking politicians think that the word party is a Hindi word. They don't take time to think well while forming the party. Their chief aim is to form a party, but with utter ignorance to the party's name.

In that aspect, I like the Tamilnadu political parties who stick to choose pure Tamil names only.

No life without Sun

A good point by the author. I wish he should form a political outfit keeping in mind this Hinglish way of naming things. There are many English words we use in our everyday life that are much popular than their equivalent regional terms. Especially in Bengal, we use many such words like that.

For example, take the word 'Vote'. There may be a Hindi or other regional terms for that word but in Bengal, even in Bengali newspaper and media also it is written 'Vote'. Another example is the words 'Table' & 'Chair'. Though they have their equivalent Bengali term, but people use the words 'Table' & 'Chair' while writing too.

Actually, we use the terms which are more popular among people. The word 'Party' is very much popular to denote a political group since long. I think a very few have thought of any Hindi equivalent of it and most of the political outfits are using the term 'Party' without thinking of the British legacy.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Of course, the party is an English word, not a Hindi word. It's ironical that we got independence from the Britishers but we could not get rid of their language. English is widely used in India. Few of the words we don't speak in Hindi but like to speak in English and one such word is the party which author has mentioned in the thread.

Few words like sorry and thank you are often uses by us even by the people who don't know the English language. It's very sad that though we have got freedom but in some way, we are still the slave of Britishers.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Strictly speaking we should not use english words in hindi.

If we see the practical side there are many english words which have been amalgamated in hindi as they were in use for a long time. Some such words are - office, market, road, house, school, student, boy, girl, lunch, dinner etc.

So whether the hindi lexicographers agree or not, these words are now a part of hindi language.

If we go through the history we find that in the beginning English was having limited words but as the Britishers ruled almost over the entire globe they took many words from other languages and today it is the richest language in the world. Every race finds their words in the english dictionary and due to this English is becoming richer day by day.

So our parties used the popular word PARTY in place of a regional equivalent for it.

Knowledge is power.

The word 'Party' has entered the Hindi dictionary or any other Indian language dictionary, just like table, chair, vote, seat, etc. Similarly, many Indian words have entered the English dictionary.

So, it is not necessary to discuss this issue at the fag end of 2018. This topic could have been successfully discussed and debated in 1918.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

"The word 'Party' has entered the Hindi dictionary or any other Indian language dictionary, just like table, chair, vote, seat, etc. "

Is that so? And which dictionary would that be?

As far as I know (I may be wrong here), there is no official organisation, in India, that makes additions to the Hindi language by adopting foreign words. Unlike, of course, the West, where official lists of new words are introduced to the dictionary.

The Hindi equivalent of the word 'party' is 'dal'. The word 'sangathan' could also fit in here, to describe a political party.

While I agree that some topics should have been discussed, debated and destroyed in 1918. This is not one of them. The author has brought up quite a relevant topic for discussion.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

Why this issue is discussed so much. All of us know that every language is improving by adding to its vocabulary, continuously. In our country most of the languages have borrowed words from several other languages. Sanskrit as a language has contributed to almost all Indian languages. No language can develop itself without borrowing words from other sister languages. Whenever a new edition of Oxford dictionary or any other dictionary is published the editors explain about the new words included in their new edition. Also they will give the names of the languages where from these words are taken. Thus it is only natural to borrow words from other languages which only help developing any language.
    tmsankaran

TM Sankaran Sir,
    It is to keep up the originality. A language is something special to a country or state and its citizens. There are people who feel proud of their language and even ready to die for their language. They cannot tolerate any insult to their mother tongue. They strive hard to maintain its originality. Take the example of Tamil. There are politicians who don't mix up English with Tamil. Late Dr. Karunanidhi, the former CM of Tamilnadu belonging to DMK (Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam) is one such leader who lived for Tamil. While Tamil has no English mixture, why not Hindi?

There are many Hindi words to substitute the word Party. BJP could have been BJD(Bharathiya Janata Dal)Likewise SP (SD) BSP(BSD) TDP(TDD) etc.

Is there any leader from Hindi belt who feel proud of Hindi in its original form?

No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments