You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

It's the end of an era. RIP Mrinal Sen

The renowned filmmaker Mrinal Sen is no more. He breathed his last on Sunday, 30th December 2018. He was a prominent director and won many awards for his contribution to Cinema. In 1969, his film Bhuvan Shome won many awards and he started receiving acclamations thereafter. He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 1981 and Dadasaheb Phalke in 2003. He was a contemporary of Satyajit Ray and Ritwik Ghatak and started a new genre in Bengali Cinema during 1950-70.

He directed films in different languages and a few famous among them are Mrigaya (Hindi), Khandahar (Hindi), Oka Oori Katha (Tamil) and Baishe Sraban (Bengali). His films were based on middle-class society and carried many socio-political messages. His critics at times called him a Marxist Artist. He had a mass appeal because of his aesthetic sense and he will remain with us through his illustrious works. My tribute to the legendary filmmaker through this thread. May his departed soul rest in peace.
    Although I don't consider Mrinal Sen in the same league of Satyajit Ray and Ritwick Ghatak, no doubt, he was a good film-maker and represented Bengali and Kolkata from a different angle. He was not active during last twenty years of his life but his best films made in the sixties, seventies and early eighties are still very famous.

Bengal has been losing one after another of its greats. On 25th December this year, we lost famous poet and former editor of Anandamela, Nirendranath Chakraborty. He was also in his nineties. Who can forget his famous poems like 'Kolkatar Jishu' and 'Ulongo Raja'.

My respect to Nirendranath Chakraborty and Mrinal Sen.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Yes, it is indeed the end of an era in Indian cinema. My heartfelt tributes to the great filmmaker Mrinal Sen! It was the Ray-Ghatak-Sen trio that brought about a revolution in Indian cinema by rewriting the way our films were then made. I was overawed by his movie 'Genesis' which I believe is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Movie lovers in other parts of India were introduced to Bengal and the pulse of the Bengalis through his movies. Mrinal Sen will always remain in the hearts of all of us. I once again pay my respects and tributes to the great creator of wonderful films.
    'Any fool can know. The point is to understand."- Albert Einstein

Legendary filmmaker Mrinal Sen is known very well in the country for his contribution to Bengali cinema. He was 95. He died at around 10:30 am yesterday due to age-related ailments.

Let his soul rest in peace.

]

drrao
    always confident

Dr. Rao: Mrinal Sen also made many award-winning Hindi films also.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

It is a sad news that legendary Indian filmmaker, Mrinal Sen, is no more. He was instrumental in putting the Indian cinema on global stage.

He was recognised by the international audience when he made the film "Baishey Shravan". It was his third film.

He got many accolades for his films and some of his films were presented for the Berlin and Cannes awards. He got Berlin awards for his films "Chorus", "Parashuram" and "Akaler Sandhane". In Cannes, he bagged juries award for "Kharij".

Like his contemporaries Satyajit Ray and Ritwik Ghatak, he was also well known for artistic depiction of social reality in his films.

I offer my respect for the departed soul.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments