You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Cricket

My favourite batsman is batting brilliantly!

So far as cricket is concerned, I am in the league of old-timers. I think Test Cricket is the best form of cricket which reflects the skill of players and strategies and techniques of a team. I prefer attacking bowlers who give runs but take wickets than the defensive bowlers useful in ODIs and T-20s. So far as batsmanship is concerned, I prefer slow and steady batsman over flamboyant batsman.

I preferred Sunil Gavaskar over GR Viswanath and Md. Azharuddin. I preferred Rahul Dravid over Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag. Similarly, I prefer Cheteshwar Pujara over Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma.

I am delighted to find that Pujara is batting brilliantly in the ongoing Gavaskar-Border Trophy between India and Australia. Today, at Sidney, he has scored his third century in the current series. He is the best Indian batsman in this series way above even Kohli.

In Test Cricket, patience, perseverance and technique count more than flamboyance.
    In my high school days, GR Viswanath and Gavaskar were the two best batsmen who used to save India in test matches. As mentioned by the author many cricket lovers those days used to like Viswanath over Gavaskar. I am a big fan of Viswanath. These days we have all seen Sachin and Dravid. Many people will accept that Dravid much better in technique when compared to Sachin. Dravid always plays for the country rather than his personal records. I definitely accept that Dravid is the best player among his contemporaries.
    Yes, Pujara is showing a good promise. He is also a good technical player. He is best suited for the test matches. The real calibre of the player will be known in Test matches only. But not in other formats of the game. He scored 130 in the match going on against Australia and still not out. A good going.
    Hope our country team will win this match and win the series.

drrao
    always confident

Even I always used to love the batting style of Gavaskar. I am surprised that you didn't mention about VVS Laxman. He was one of my favourite batsman in the world. Apart from him, I love to see Brian Lara and Allan Border on the crease. Rahul Dravid was one of the best batsmen India ever produced. He had a very good temperament that's the reason he was called the wall of India.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

The same reason. Although VVS played some really great innings, his consistency and temperament could not be compared with those shown by Dravid. The overall batting average reflects this.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Cheteshwar Pujara also is a very good test player and one can see the same sort of feeling I used to see playing VVS Laxman or Rahul Dravid. He is consistent and dont come in pressure.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

• Sign In to post your comments