You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Explain the pattern behind the bleed marks on Indian notes of new series

Bleed marks are the protruded oblique lines and zeros on the sides of the front of Indian notes of new currency. The bleed marks are made for blind people, because of which they can know the denomination of the note by touching or by drawing a finger over the bleed marks. I have not been able to feel any protrusion when I touch the bleed lines, though.

The notes below Rs 100 denomination do not have any bleed marks, but all the notes above Rs 50 denomination have bleed marks.

Rs 100 note has four oblique lines on each of the frontal sides.
    Rs 200 note has four oblique lines and two zeroes on each of the frontal sides.
    Rs 500 note has five oblique lines on each of the frontal sides.
    Rs 1000 note is yet to come.
    Rs 2000 note has seven oblique lines on each of the frontal sides.

There has to be some pattern for those increasing bleed marks with increasing denomination. Can someone explain the pattern of bleed marks, and with that pattern what type of bleed mark can we expect on a Rs 1000 note when it is released?
    Probably, Rs 1000 note might have six(6) oblique lines on each of the frontal sides. Six is the number missing between Rs.500 and Rs.2000 notes reserved for Rs.1000 note.
    No life without Sun

This could be a design strategy to differentiate the notes from each other. Another thing is in the beginning when the printing of the note is decided a particular pattern is conceived in the printing machine which depends on the size of the note, variation in the adjustments in the machine and the approved map of the design of the currency.

So it is difficult to conjecture at this juncture about the 1000 rupee note which is yet to come but it would also be having bleed marks as is the practice in the existing notes. It could have anything between 5 to 7 marks with some additional feature. It is too early to guess that.

Knowledge is power.

I didn't know about the bleed marks. So, I can't answer the query raised by the author. However, I have learnt many new things about Indian currency notes from this thread.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Reserve bank will arrange for the design of the currency notes. Once the design is approved they will go for printing. I never see these notes with such an interest and understand the various features of the notes. Thst is why I never know about these bleed marks. It is an input to me. Let us get the information from the known people.
    drrao
    always confident

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

The bleed marks are not any kind of design. There is some sort of pattern, I think. It is like one of those mathematical sequences, generally asked in competitive exams, where one has to guess the next or the missing number.
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

Gypsy,

It is highly likely that RBI would not want anyone to know/to reveal the sequential pattern which determines the number of the bleed lines on a currency note.

With regard to the inability to feel the lines, today's Hindustan Times reported that the National Association of the Blind (NAB) filed a court petition about the difficulty in distinguishing the new currency notes and coins. It seems the tactile features of the new notes are very bad as compared to the older ones. Even the size of the older notes did help, but the additional problem of the similarity in size of the new ones, the visually impaired are having a lot of problems. Accordingly, the High Court has issued instructions to RBI officials to check out foreign currencies to understand how tactile features used in them are user-friendly for those who cannot see.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

• Sign In to post your comments