You must Sign In to post a response.
Would a Presidential form of democracy be helpful in abolishing reservations entirely? Share your views on this intriguing suggestion.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Reservation can be abolished only in the Presidential system of democracy

Sociologists consider India heaven for research in their field. In India, there are hundreds of castes, thousands of sub-castes and hundreds of tribes. More than 500 languages are spoken all over the country. People from all major religions including the atheists live here and enjoy equal rights. And each and every group has its own group. Each and every caste has importance in the present form of governance in India.

But why am I stating all these well-known facts? In another thread, we have been discussing the proposed 10% reservation for economically-backward people from the upper castes. In that thread, many Members of ISC have opined that reservation should be abolished.

I am also firmly against this merit-killing method. There are various other problems which I, as a Government official, face every day due to this policy. I don't want to elaborate on those problems in this thread. But I feel that if a leader or a party genuinely wishes to abolish this system, the leader or party won't bee able to do this in the present form of democracy in India. Vote bank politics appeasing communities and castes will continue. So, the reservation with all its demerits will continue.

So, I feel that to abolish reservation, we need a Presidential form of democracy where a leader will be chosen Supreme Head by overall popular mandate. Only then, he/she will be able to bring a welcome change to abolish reservation as he won't have to be worried about the caste/community equations in every State, Lok Sabha Constituency and Assembly Constituency.

Only a President will be able to abolish reservation system in India. Members, do you agree?
    [Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

True. If today's government abolish reservations, in the next elections all other parties will promise again implementation of reservations and thus they will try to get the votes and win the elections and they may reintroduce the reservations as promised. So no party will be ready to do that. All political parties should come together and decide that they want to abolish this system and nobody is going to make an agenda point in the elections. Then only it is possible. But in India, I think there is no way this unity will come for removing the reservations. As long as the system of majority vote is there in a country like India where there are many castes, religions and creeds, it is very difficult to change the present system. That is the reason many of the merit students are leaving this country and settling abroad for a lively hood.
    As mentioned by the author only presidential form of democracy may be able to do it.

drrao
    always confident

This seems to be a good idea but how can it be achieved? I mean, for changing the present system to Presidential democracy, certain changes in the constitution will be required. Whether the members of parliament will agree for this change is another issue. The post of PM will also be not there.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

The proposal of NOTA had been a popular demand for around 15 years. Thereafter, this reform has been carried out, although partially. Similarly, people have to demand Presidential form of democracy. Ultimately, the Government and the political parties will have to bow their head and accept the popular demand.

In case of a singular head (President), the short-term interest of small groups can be ignored. In this way, the reservation system can be abolished gradually.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

The Presidential system of democracy will definitely be a good thing for all of us but it will require a lot of revamping of the present constitution and the directive principles of the state policy. Anyway if the top leadership desires and the citizens cooperate such system can be adopted.

The opposition parties may not like such a change as there is no chance for them to come to govern after each five or ten years in a rhythmic way taking advantage of ignorance of people regarding assessment of good leaders.

Knowledge is power.

Abolishing reservation may not be as easy as we think even in a Presidential form of government because the section of people who have been enjoying this facility has already taken it as their right. It is akin to something like bringing home chocolate for your child daily when you return from the office. You begin the exercise just to see the smile on his/ her face but when it becomes a daily affair, the child starts expecting chocolate daily when you return from the office and if one day you miss it out, he/ she will ask for it. An excuse for a day may be tolerated but the demand will gain another level the next day. I doubt (and may not) whether Dr. Ambedkar, who is the pioneer of the present reservation policy envisaged this level but that is the fact. Leave alone abolishing but even including another in the group is now considered as an encroachment into their rights. We have come a long way now and it would be difficult to do away with the reservation system though most of those who suffer due to this policy have strong objections to the same.
    'Any fool can know. The point is to understand."- Albert Einstein

If we adopt the Presidential form of democracy, then the single Head won't have to depend upon any of the numerous groups, castes, sub-castes, religions and sects. Because the support of individual groups won't have much effect on the electoral outcome.

Only then, a true visionary leader can take the necessary steps to abolish this system without bothering about one or many pressure groups.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

• Sign In to post your comments