You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you have any clarity with regard to the reservation for the Economically Weaker Section?

Do you think that the 10% reservation allotted to the economically weaker section will reach the actual beneficiaries? Are you clear about the criteria that have been mentioned in the bill that would make a person in the category eligible? Let us discuss the point by sharing our knowledge on the topic.

One of the wise things that Mr.Modi's government did in this 4.5 years regime is that of allowing 10% EWS reservation and passing the bill with the wholehearted support of the opposition parties. This will surely help the people from the economically weaker section to get benefited in education and job opportunities to some extent.

But till now there is no clarity with regard to the rules and regulations which regulate the eligibility criteria for the beneficiaries. The media is giving some clues like Rs 8 lakh annual income would be the main benchmark for deciding the beneficiaries. But in the bill, some other regulations like cultivable land and residing area possession are also given. Will all these factors be taken into consideration or is the income source the only main criteria to select EWS beneficiaries? It has also been reported that States will have to frame their own rules based on the economic condition of the State.

What is the actual position? Does anyone have a clear idea?
    We should congratulate and thank Modi's government for bringing out reservations for economically backward classes. The opposition parties know that if they say no to this they will definitely loose support from this section of voters. They supported. In Rajya Sabah some changes were proposed by some opposition leaders. But the bill passed without any changes.
    This 10% reservation is above the existing all reservation which are amounting to 50%. The economical status of the family will be decided by the levels of income. In news papers I read that the limit for financial income will be decided by the State Government. They state government based their financial status, I think will decided these limits.

drrao
    always confident

Is a person economically weak with an annual income of 8,00,000 (Rupees Eight Lacs) which works out to be a monthly income of Rs, 66,000? I am sure, the person is economically moderate. Is someone possessing some land of their own is economically weak? Is a person holding his/her own residential accommodation on a few square feet land economically weak?

In that case, the whole reservation system for the castes and communities should be abolished, and 50 percent reservation to all who are economically weak should be introduced.

The economically weak are those whose income is not sufficient for a square meal, no own accommodation but living in a rented house, no farmland to get any yield.

I am not sure, how this 10% reservation is going to work for the economically weak upper-class people.

No life without Sun

Earlier also the matter has been discussed. In that thread raised by me, Mr. KVRR questioned the criteria fixed for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS). He also opined that all types of reservation should be withdrawn. I mentioned that it would be better if some constructive criticism is done. The Members who have objections to the criteria fixed can give their opinion to the concerned Ministry (Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment). How many Members have done this? Criticism for the sake of criticism won't help.

As far as I am concerned, I don't have much idea about the land ceiling and value of lands in the urban area or in the rural area. So, I don't want to comment.

However, I have noted that during the discussion about the Bill in both Houses of the Parliament, no MP raised any objection on these grounds or proposed any Corrigendum.

Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

The proposal made by the prime - minister is welcome step and should work in the direction of alleviating poverty ultimately but considering the income of Rs Eight Lakh annually for the weaker section of the society seems to be a cruel joke especially when there are lots of upper class people in the villages having not enough resources to support the expenses of their kids for education and at the same time entire family is undernourished due to severe financial crunch. The immediate remedy lies in encouraging such children for better education so that they are not deprived of this basic right and later to have the dignified life, the quota of reservation up to 10 percent would be a feasible option.

When the intention of the government itself is to keep the provisions of this bill vague, due to whatever reasons, I don't see any reason for us to seek clarity.

To be frank, this bill allotting 10% reservation to the economically weaker section is another political gimmick. The presentation of the bill was so well timed that the opposition had no choice but to play into the hands of the government. This law will, in all likelihood, fail the test of judicial scrutiny. The Supreme Court has clearly laid down the law and guidelines in this regard in the famous Indra Sawhney case of 1993. Any attempt to raise the reservation above 50% may not be legally viable and may be struck down as unconstitutional. It may be noted that earlier attempts in this direction never materialized due to the prudent intervention of the judiciary.

Even if the Supreme Court admits reservation for the economically weaker section, the 50% mark will have to be maintained and in such a situation, the only option that would be left with the government will be to carve out the 10% from the existing reservation quota for the socially backward classes. We can very well imagine the reaction from that section of the people in such an eventuality. We are all aware of the widespread disturbances that occurred across the country when V.P.Singh tried to implement the Mandal Commission report. It is not that the present government is not aware of the consequences.

I don't think it would be practically possible to filter the actually eligible lot, based on the criteria mentioned in the bill. There would be so many people who fall within the bracket. How would you then choose and select? The lack of clarity in the bill will only create more confusion and disparity in society.

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance' - Confucious.

I think the ultimate aim of Govt is to end all types of reservations. The present controversial 10% reservation to EWS is a step in that direction only.

There are already many complications and ambiguities in the existing reservation policy and this step is only going to exaggerate that further.

Anyway, more chaos leads to the final solution and I believe that we are inching towards a reservation less society.

Theoretically speaking if an analysis of reservation system is to be done then it requires honest data of the income of the people and to find out how many are benefitted in each category. We must exclude the elements who are availing these through wrong and illegal information.

So the explanations are not so easy as they appear on the surface.

Knowledge is power.

The 10% reservation for the economically weaker sections (EWS) may have passed the parliament but we need to wait for the judgement of the apex court in this regard. According to its earlier ruling, reservation, in any case, cannot exceed 50% and when this 10% reservation for EWS is taken into account it is going up to 59.5%.

Reservations are always created for a particular section and when the reservation was first implemented in the country, it was meant for a particular period. Every successive government has found ways and means to increase the quota on various grounds and it is still continuing even after 71 years of independence. The economic criteria given for availing this reservation is a yearly income of less than 8 lacs. Well, I don't think the government is planning to define the BPL category in a new way.

Reservation was implemented for the upliftment of socially deprived sections and in a huge country like India, we see lots of segregation in terms of caste, creed and religion. Let all the politicians come together and decide among themselves what does this deprivation means and then formulate the reservation criteria on that. I find all kind of reservation is a way to garner votes and this is always a way to create more divisions.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

The contents of the bill will be more clear in coming times but I personally welcome this as this is a sincere attempt to give reservation on income basis rather than the cast or creed. The bill is vague but sometimes it may be intentional and might have some hidden agenda.

So this is only the beginning and more will follow by the Govt who must be having some surprises to release at an opportune time may be after the 2019 elections.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments