You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

RIP John Clifton Bogle!

He left the industry more than 20 years back. He was happily spending his retirement days. But his impact was deeply felt after his retirement. John Clifton Bogle (born on 8th May, 1929) was associated with the investment management (in India, mutual fund) companies of the US since his youth. After more than 25 years of association, in 1976, he formed Vanguard Company, world's first index fund, in the U.S. The index fund simply replicates the index which it follows. It is the low-cost mutual fund scheme suitable for retail investors. The management fee is minimum in the index funds because there is almost no role of fund managers in the index funds (passively managed funds). Bogle's investment philosophy was very simple. He said: "... 'trying to beat the market was wasteful and expensive for common investors."

Although, his investment philosophy and index fund started becoming popular when Bogle was active in the industry, only 12% equity mutual fund assets were passively managed in the U.S. in 2000. But the retail investors of the USA started investing in index funds in a far greater number only after 2008 after getting badly hit by the global financial crisis. Retail investors (including Indian investors) realized the importance of asset allocation and preferred the safer route of passive investing. In 2017, the share of passively managed equity assets jumped over 42% in the USA.

This great man of the investing world made a huge contribution in making the mutual fund industry, especially passive investing, popular all over the world. At an age of 89-plus, he left the world on 16th January, 2019.

RIP John Clifton (Jack) Bogle, Father of Passive Investing!
    It is very sad to note that the Father of Passive Investing, John Clifton(Jack) Bogie is no more and he passes on 16th January 2019. I pray my respects to him and may his soul rest in peace,
    drrao
    always confident

Very informative post on a person who has done so much in the field of mutual funds and due to his vision the investors in US were benefitted heavily and MF industry in other countries flourished.

I thank author for bringing such an exhaustive information related to the investment world in this thread and we are really benefited with this knowledge.

I also join with other members to pray for the soul of John Clifton Bogle to rest in peace.

Knowledge is power.

A pioneer in the field of investment management is no more. It's sad news and the author has described nicely a few of the things related to John Clifton Bogle and his works. From the comments "... 'trying to beat the market was wasteful and expensive for common investors." it is understood how well he studied the nature of the markets and his works in the field will keep him alive among his followers.

May the departed soul of John Clifton Bogle rest in peace.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

RIP John Clifton Bogle!
    I have no knowledge about this guy and the investment - mutual fund - index fund etc.
    Anyway, I too join the ISC men to say RIP John Clifton Bogle!

No life without Sun

An informative narration for the people interested in investment in MF schemes. I was not knowing about this stalwart of investment world.

My sincere homage to the deceased.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.