You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Cricket

An extra-ordinary happening in an extra-ordinary Test match

It was the last Test of the series being played between India and England at Chepauk, Madras (now Chennai). It was in 1951-52. England was leading the series 1-0. England was batting after winning the toss. At the end of the first days' play, the score was 224 for 5.

The players left the ground and got the news in the dressing room. British King George VI had died of coronary thrombosis. Immediately a meeting was called by the officials and the Test was re-scheduled. The second day of the Test was declared a rest day.

But why was this particular Test match extra-ordinary? Well, this was the first time, India, led by Vijay Hazare, won a Test match. That was the first time India tasted victory in a Test match, thanks to the heroics of Vinoo Mankad, and that too against England (the country which taught India to play cricket).
    Yes, this was a historic match for India. Vinu Makand was the hero as he took 12 wickets in the match. It was due to him only India won by an inning and 8 runs.

England test team was always an extraordinary team. I remember when Graham Gooch scored 333 runs, 6th ever highest run in test cricket ever. It was against India only.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Mr. Gupta, Gooch was an English batsman of eighties and nineties. He played forty years later.
    Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

Yes I know he was a player of 1980s. That's when I started watching cricket. And he was the one player who was tough to be get out by the bowlers.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Vinu Mankad is a good player of those days. I heard that he is the father of Ashok Mankad. I know Ashok Mankad playing cricket. Winning for the first time in test matches that to with a strong time like England will be a great accomplishment. Really the mentioned match is historic match only. India might have won many test matches afterwards. But first victory is always special and it will be remembered forever by many people. I am happy that the author brought out a beautiful thread on this great test match and my sincere thank to him.
    drrao
    always confident

An interesting thing about the first test match won against England.

I was not aware of this incident though I was a regular listener of test match commentary time to time, of course at a later period.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

The extraordinary thing is that the rest day was changed immediately after receiving the news of the death of British King George VI. It is unthinkable that both the teams agreed to this. Further, the departed king was saved from the ignominy of getting the news of the loss of England team in the hands of Indians within 5 years of independence of India.
    Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

An interesting and charming narrative by the author and for me it was really interesting as my knowledge of cricket is not hat encyclopaedic.

Cricket is not only a game full of statistics but also such interesting episodes and narratives. Re-scheduling the day of rest in honour of the king is as per the legacy of Colonial empire and the Indian team had no option except accepting this directive.

Such events are registered in the history for time immortal and brought to notice of the contemporary world as has been done in the post by the knowledgeable member.

Knowledge is power.

A good thread reminding us about the first Test match victory by the India team. It was indeed a great moment for the country because they defeated England where the game of cricket originated. It also has a special significance since India got freedom from the British rulers just five years prior to this historic Test match. Few events always remain glorious and this particular Test match is among them.

I again thank the author for sharing this wonderful information with us.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

• Sign In to post your comments