You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why not put in place some education initiatives for children of migrants?

It was a great experience chatting with a few migrant employees from the Hindi belt, who are employed on contract with the sub-contractor of a major auto ancillary company. The local lot migrate to Chennai or somehow study the Diploma courses in Mechanical or Electrical engineering and get fairly good jobs, even if they are on contract. With some experience, they get even regular jobs. Hence, there are always vacancies for jobs that are not skilled in a big way. The training period is hardly ninety days.

The Hindi guys were very humble. At least two of the five spoke very good Tamil, having survived in this place for a full 48 months. They know that their wages are less than that paid to local workers. However, they are provided with some sort of shared accommodation and also free food. They manage to send back some money to their wives and children. They claim that they cannot even educate their children back home.

Why not the respective State Governments tie up with some schools to offer basic education? Even the Corporate houses can be expected to support some of such initiatives. I mean, the Hindi State Governments. Since Hindi is a big barrier, the Tamil Nadu Government will not do anything. However, some initiatives from the respective State Governments can be thought of. The social organizations can also be approached for some help. Let the children learn through the Hindi medium and let them be taught some English too. After all, there is enough scope for employment of wives in some ancillary units in all places.

How do we go about doing something in this direction? One also learns that there are hundreds from AP who work in Maharashtra or MP. Can we think of some support?
    There are some people from Odisha also in AP and Telangana. Basically they will come with their families and stay. There is no problem for them as there are schools where Hindi will ne taught and they need not study Telugu.The wife also will be working some where. Yearly once or twice they will be going to their native places for 20days and coming back. But in Tamilnadu it is a problem as no Hindi is taught there. There are some private schools in Tamilnady also where they can teach Hindi. But the fees may be very high and parents may not be able to spend that much. So some well to do families or NGOs can sponsor some students for the education so that these people will also have good education. Otherwise the central government should start some CBSE schools and provide free education to thes children so that the total family can be in one place and they can educate their children well.
    drrao
    always confident

AB Sivakumar,

May I advise you not to constantly refer to people as from the 'Hindi belt' and 'Hindi guys'? I frankly dislike it when people get compartmentalized based on the language they speak, where they are from, which culture they follow, etc. And why label a State Government as a 'Hindi State Government'? If I were to submit a thread like this, I would, instead, put it across somewhat like this:
    People who move from one State to another for a job face difficulties in understanding the local language of the new place of work. They may, to a certain degree, be successful in doing well for themselves, picking up language skills to a certain extent and being able to enhance their skills through courses....then go on to suggest setting up the initiatives.

The topics you come up with are interesting, but it gets watered down by such perspectives. So kindly focus on people as individuals when you come up with such topics.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Am sorry Vandana Madam. I shall totally desist from using such words. In this case, since there are such a huge number of them, I suggested that the State Governments from where they come can possibly take interest. When I discussed this issue with a particular NGO they did say that finding teachers who can teach only through Hindi might be a big problem.

Am once again sorry.

This is really a problem as state Govt can not arrange a Hindi medium school for such a small number of students. This problem of migrant workers in remote places where there is no Hindi language teaching is an old problem and so far there does not seem to be a solution to it.

One thing which is the natural corollary of these occupations is the children of these workers should learn the local knowledge as early as possible as there are chances that the migrant workers might settle in these places.

In European countries many students know more than two languages as it helps them in seeking jobs in the neighbouring countries.

Knowledge is power.

Sir,even the adults learn languages such as Tamil or Telugu. However, since Hindi is their mother tongue, they may find it a bit difficult to learn any subject through any other language. If there is any attempt by some voluntary organization, perhaps we can make a small difference. The idea is to make them migrate to other places with their families so that they live better lives. As such, they did tell me that they spend huge money on going to their native places very often.

If these migrant workers are keeping their children with them then only this problem is coming. If they are admitting them in the schools in their home town then language is no issue.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments