You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

George Fernandes passes away

Former Defence Minister of India George Fernandes passed away today morning at an age of 88 years. He was in the hospital with a prolonged illness in Delhi Fernandes was suffering from Alzheimer's disease
    Fernandes was the Minister for Defence from 2001 to 2004 under the NDA government and had also held the portfolios of communications, industry and Railways under various governments.
    As a defence minister, he was very much known for frequent trips to the Siachen glacier to look after the well being of the soldiers there.
    May his soul rest in peace. I convey my deep condolences to his family members.
    Sorry to note that Mr. George Fernandez has passed away. He was a very simple but able leader who led the Defence ministry efficiently. A bold and courageous leader who could even sack the Chief of the Naval staff. May his good soul rest in peace.
    No life without Sun

George Fernandes will always be remembered as a true leader of the working class, an able administrator and a great Parliamentarian. He was a man of guts and never minced his words in speaking out the truth. He believed in quick action and was always ready to take risks.

I take this opportunity to pay my respects to the departed soul. May his soul Rest in Peace!

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance' - Confucious.

George Fernandes basically started his career from worker's union and rose to the position of Defence Minister. He was an efficient politician having good leadership and managing qualities.

His services will always be remembered in the history of our nation. I pray Almighty for the peace of departed soul.

Knowledge is power.

George Fernandes first came into prominence during the early part of 1970s, when as a labour leader he joined the movement started by Jaiprakash Narayan. He and his brother Lawrence faced lots of hardship during the emergency. When the Janata Government was formed, he, as a Cabinet Minister, banned coke in India. During the NDA Government, he was the defence minister. During his tenure, Kargil war happened.

During the last 10 years or so, he had been suffering from dementia and other age-related ailments. He passed away today morning.

Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

George Fernandes was a prominent leader of the trade union and will always be remembered as the leader of the mass. He was instrumental in various important decisions and played a significant role in laying out the Konkan Railway. He formed the Samata Party in 1994 and his party was a prominent ally in the previous NDA government led by late A B Vajpayee. Between 1998 and 2004, he served twice as defence minister and eventually during his term the Kargil war and Pokhran nuclear test took place. He was an able administrator and because of his numerous capabilities, he was the convenor of that NDA government.

My deepest respect to the departed soul. May his soul Rest in Peace.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

I pray for the departed soul. May it rest in peace.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Late Shri George Fernandes was a renowned figure. His contribution to national politics was quite evident. He suffered for long from an Alzheimer's disease which may not be a painful suffering but a very unbearable agony for the family and the attendants. May his soul rest in peace!
    shampasaid

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.