You must Sign In to post a response.
Looking for the solved education crossword puzzle? Check it out in this thread and know how many of the boxes you filled in correctly.
  • Category: Winners

Education crossword puzzle - answers

Participants of the Education crossword puzzle can check the answers in the attachment to this thread. Please confirm the number of correct answers you have given as per the list which is given below. You can congratulate the winners in this announcement thread.

In order of the entries received via email –
    1. Juana = 38 - 20 Jan 2019, 12:06
    2. Aditya = 36 - 20 Jan 2019, 12:22
    3. Rosie Ray = 37 - 20 Jan 2019, 15:11
    4. Joyshree = 32 - 20 Jan 2019, 15:29
    5. Srimathi = 31 - 20 Jan 2019, 16:14
    6. Soundharya =36 - 20 Jan 2019, 16:15
    7. Umesh = 37 - 20 Jan 2019, 17:21
    8. Partha = 29 - 20 Jan 2019, 19:42
    9. Sun = 32 - 20 Jan 2019, 19:58
    10. Neeru = 36 - 20 Jan 2019, 21:07
    11. Sanjeev = 34 - 20 Jan 2019, 22:25
    12. Sankalan = 38 - 21 Jan 2019, 01:12
    13. Dr. Rao = 34 - 21 Jan 2019, 07:29
    14. Shampa = 32 - 21 Jan 2019, 11:51

You may also give your general feedback in a response to this thread and give some input - Approximately how much time did you take to solve the crossword? Did you solve it by yourself? Did you seek Google's help to solve a clue? Was there any clue which was confusing? Which was the toughest and which was the easiest to fill in?
  • Education Crossword Puzzle - solved (163089-1-Education-Crossword-Puzzle-solved.doc)
    It was a good contest. I expected I will have 35 correct answers but got 34. Thanks, Vandana I understand how much hard work you might have put to make a crossword puzzle. How pity I could not guess ABC? It took me an hour to solve it. I didn't take the help of Google for the same.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

A good contest. Some are very easy to solve. But some clues are not very easy. I have not used google. I have not consulted anyone. I thought it is the Department of Education. But it has become DTE. All difficult and big answers I am able to fare correctly. But fewer letter words are only confusing. I thought I our first lesson will start by asking, SO I made it ASK. But the correct answer is ABC. I have no clue for Passport renewal also.
    drrao
    always confident

Really an excellent puzzle contest from our ME. It took me 100 minutes. I could not guess CHARTS and HOBBY. After posting it, I could get these answers. I struggled and failed to get CAS for the Passport extension. DTE gone wrong as DOE. Generally, tough I could get, easy I could not. Like to see such puzzle contest once in six months. Well done ME.

@You have failed to count the blank spaces correctly as (6 as 5) for FAILED

No life without Sun

I am really ashamed! I am at the bottom. Although I was very busy with some relative's operation, but that can't be treated as an excuse. Definitely the ablest contenders have won.
    Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

Generally in literary crossword problems, we can take help from the thesaurus or Google but in this case Google was not of much help as most of the clues, which were difficult also, were in form of educational abbreviations and uncommon short forms. We had to struggle a lot to get the answers.

CAS, CHARTS, ABC, AICTE, HOBBY, SYLLABI and PTA were much difficult and internet was of no use in finding them. I waited for getting answer to my last remaining clue for a good long time but finally submitted it with a guess only.

Anyway, it was a good one and if the difficulty level is lowered slightly, may be more people might participate. I think, if it is feasible within ISC schedule, we can extend it in different areas like music, history, geography, science, politics, astronomy etc so that people having interest in those areas can participate with interest.

Knowledge is power.

Congratulations on creating an outstanding crossword puzzle. All praise to you for your effort. Well done.

Coming to the questions posed in this thread.

I did not time myself but reckon I must have taken less than an hour, considering my answers reached you at 12:06 hours and the puzzle was posted at 11:00 hours. I would have mailed my answers earlier, had I not spent time changing into bold, the letters that went in the boxes that displayed the across and down numbers.

I did solve the puzzle myself – no help from anyone.

You ask, "Was there any clue that was confusing?"

Yes, I was nonplussed by the clue for 12 Across - "A past time, facilitated by school and college clubs". What was the clue referring to? Was it about being late or did it have something to do with history? Although, it did not take me long to realise that there was an error, in the clue. It should have been 'pastime' instead of 'past time'. They mean different things.

Since I spent the most time on clue 12 Across, I'd term it as the toughest to fill, the rest were easy-peasy.

Leadership is having a compelling vision, a comprehensive plan, relentless implementation, and talented people working together - Alan Mulally

I am quite ashamed of my performance because I failed to guess ABC of all things. I am really mad at myself. Other than that I performed really well in this contest. The crossword puzzle wasn't that difficult. I don't know how bad my performance might get if it was harder.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

It was really very interesting one. I had good experience in crosswords but it was different and contained only educational content. So, many clues baffled me for quite sometime referring dictionaries etc but not getting any help.

Only after I could make many words that letter hints in the adjacent cells were visible for the other clues and then the process became much smoother though I lost lot of time in this and my entry was delayed.

Anyway, many of these words we are seeing in educational articles and related question-answers in Ask Experts section. So it was easy to guess them.

Out of 38 about 4-5 were quite difficult and took lot of time.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

The Education crossword puzzle was excellent with a mixture of easy and not so easy clues. It took me more than one hour to solve the complete puzzle. Actually, I did it in two parts. After downloading the attachment in the afternoon, I spent around 30 minutes and solved many of them. Later, I had to go out and again solved the rest few during late night.

For me, 12 Across took a lot of time. Another one is 30 Down. I didn't take help of others to solve this puzzle but searched Google for a particular answer. I was not much aware of 11 Down - Go through, one of the three 'R's. I got the clue of this answer from Google.

My thanks to Vandana Ma'am for creating this wonderful crossword puzzle. It was really a great effort and I hope more like this on different topics would be created in the near future.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Sanjeev - please note that henceforth, when an attachment is required to be sent as an entry for a contest, send it as a Word doc which is uploaded from your laptop and not as a Google Drive doc. For this crossword, for example, it was easier for me to download all the attachments, label them with the name of the member, check the answers and share the lot with the other editors who were doing the check also. I could not download your attachment at all and had to copy-paste it and then share it.

Sun - Sankalan had pointed out in an email to me about the no. of letters being incorrect for two of the clues and I had acknowledged it in the contest thread. I will re-check more times, next time!

Juana - you are absolutely right about the clue for 12Across.

Thanks to all for giving their feedback here. Maybe the next puzzle could be on ISC! Presently working on a different type of contest, a triathlon - watch out for the announcement...

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Vandana,

You might want to correct the same error on your profile page. You have used the expression to describe how you spend your leisure time.

Leadership is having a compelling vision, a comprehensive plan, relentless implementation, and talented people working together - Alan Mulally

Vandana as I use my mobile phone totally so don't know how to do it. I just saved the puzzle in Google drive and sent the entry. Next time I will be careful. Thanks for the feedback.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Thanks, Juana. I corrected it yesterday on seeing your response. In fact, my sister had seen the same error in the clue as you did, on having a look at the crossword, but forgot to tell me about it and did so when she asked me if anyone solved it and I told her about your input.

Can you clarify if the plural of pastime is pastimes? Also, would it be correct to put the word activities after that? I had put it initially, then removed it, thinking that the word pastime itself refers to an activity. Need an English lesson on this!

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Vandana,

Sorry about the delay in responding to your queries. I had a very hectic schedule, the last few days, and couldn't find time to respond to your post.

Yes, the plural of pastime is pastimes.

Pastime activities is a common tautological error we make in our speech/writings. We use phrases such as sit-down, link together, new innovation, past history etc. without realising that the words are repetitive. Pastime is an activity, and it's perfectly fine to use it alone.

I'd like to add that a pastime is not a hobby. Reading can be defined as a pastime, but collecting stamps is definitely not one; that would be a hobby.

Thanks, Juana for the valuable input. I learned a new term as well, namely, "tautological error". I may have come across this term somewhere during my academic years, but hazy about it!

By the way, nobody needs to feel ashamed about their performance. Just attempting something which is not necessarily in your comfort zone is a huge step forward in the learning process.

Truly, no one should feel ashamed at ISC. We all are masters as well as students. We are in the process of teaching and learning new things. ISC is very fortunate and proud to have a member like Juana from whom we learn many new words.
    No life without Sun

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.

Submit New Thread
    Return to Return to Discussion Forum