You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Nationalism- one of the most misinterpreted terms today.

Many thoughts crossed my mind on seeing the picture of two kids playing with the national flag. I thought of writing about plastic flags or about the importance of such historical days or as to whether it is just another festival day for the kids or as to how such days are enjoyed by many as mere holidays or about those snobs who consider/ pretend themselves to be nationalists (unlike others) to the core and so on.

But after giving it a lot of thought, I felt that it would be better to share my feeling as to how nationalism has come to be one of the most misinterpreted terms in the recent past. I am not interested in bringing in a political angle to the topic because I personally feel that nationalism is something above politics.

Nationalism was a feeling, an emotion very close to the heart, which every Indian entertained as part of his culture and bringing up. But over a period of time, it has been reduced to a criterion to judge and categorize our citizens. Some section of the people has set certain benchmarks, based on our food habits, how we think, what and how we speak, how we dress up, how we conduct ourselves and so on to decide the level of nationalism among the people. If it was totally an emotion that bonded us as a nation earlier, it is now almost a tool that threatens to divide us.

I sincerely wish and hope that we all conceive and understand nationalism in its true spirit and let our love and commitment to this great nation remain intact forever.

This is an entry to the Picture (topic) based TOW contest for January.
    A nice translation of a picture in good and constructive thoughts. The author has well conceived the theme and narrated it nicely.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

True. Nationalism is above politics. I appreciate the author for this thought. But unfortunately, people are seeing everything in the angle of politics only. To be more precise, everyone is trying to see what is the benefit they will get from the nation rather giving something to the Nation. Even politicians also think everything as an opportunity to win vote bank. If really everybody thinks that the Nation is above politics, we see a beautiful developed country in a short span.
    drrao
    always confident

Patriotism and nationalism are only possible when a person is emotionally and honestly attached to its motherland. Without those feelings no action will be generated.

I have seen these emotions during the 1962 Indo-China war in the border district of Pithoragarh in Uttarakhand state where I was studying in class VII. Our army was passing through the area towards Tibet border and the local people were standing on both the sides of the roads throwing flowers on the army men and their vehicles who were sometimes stopping to take blessings of people also. Some of the aged ladies were weeping loudly and just caressing the heads of the Jawans. It was a scene which is still encapsulated in my mind, the feelings of the people towards the Jawans going to give their life in the war.

Knowledge is power.

Nationalism is not a misinterpreted word as claimed by the author. But some people with vested interest are unnecessarily complicating the meaning of this word. They say that criticism is also a part and parcel of nationalism, and in the name of criticism they are trying to disintegrate the nation, These so-called critics don't find anything good in the country and always try to develop a sense of inferiority complex in the minds of simple people in the name of healthy criticism.

These people are intentionally complicating the meaning of 'nationalism'.

Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.