You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

If we are not racists then how come we use fairness products?

We say it loud as well as we say it clear. Do we mean what we say? We deny that we are racists but keep continuing doing such things that lead to discrimination giving way to racism. Isn't it true?

In India, it was during British rule that discrimination was more evident than ever. Since then we have never taken a step back. Instead, we have full-fledged supported racism. There is nothing wrong with being fair. However, if we turn it into an obsession and measure beauty only in terms of fairness, don't you think we are becoming racists? What is wrong with colored skin? The answer is nothing. It is as beautiful as fair skin is.

If we are buying fairness cream, which promises to make our skin a few shades lighters, it means we are not happy with our skin tone. Knowingly or unknowingly we are promoting racism. In spite of that, we say that we stand against it.

On the other hand, beauty products such as cleansers, exfoliating agents, anti-aging creams are meant to take care of our skin. Thus, it is not wrong to use them. It is not even wrong to use fairness creams. There is no such rule that states we cannot use them. However, if we are using them, what does it has to say about our belief system. Doesn't it clearly state that we have not given much thought while purchasing such products or while using them? It also states that we choose a fair skin tone over dark tones. Isn't it racism?

How do you feel about the whole matter?

Hmm. I am not really sure that its the British influence that makes Indians obsess over fairness. "Wheat" complexion is often quoted the most desirable of traits. Not only in India but in all ancient world. There are tribes in central Africa that pray to the gods that are white. So it's inherent in our minds that gods and other pious humans are 'white'.
    India is versatile and so is Indian skin. There are all different skin tones here. So we wouldn't have needed a European country to show us fairness. Unfreckled and unwrinkled Kashmiri beauties were quoted in many puranas. Indians were always in obsession with fairer shades or lighter shades according to me.

Only exception would be our gods. See, Shiva is supposed to be white. Laden with ash. But his imagery is made blue to ease our eyes. And Krishna, as the name itself suggests, was very black. But we blue him to ease our eyes. Such is the Indian mind that masks a natural color with something supernatural to hide the "black" in it. We were born and raised racists I believe. Cosmetic companies just happen to exploit that behavior. India is one of the largest consumers of cosmetics and ornaments of gold. We are obsessed with beauty and fairness.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

There is nothing wrong in using fairness creams but distinguishing black and white make us different. Unwrinkled or unfreckled and wrinkles or freckled, all are the same; what distinguishes one from another is a character.

Before the Almighty, a person with high moral values is the supreme irrespective of his black or fair skin. The color of the skin means nothing to almighty and even to humans color should have little importance. Only good qualities raise a person from low to a higher position. So, don't distinguish between black and white, and that one who does so is a racist. Leave racism and embrace the good qualities of people.

It's all in the human mind. We like praises and along with the physical attributes, the colour of the skin is also a measurement of beauty according to many. Those who think in that way, they want to be fairer and use different fairness creams. Many people think that dark complexion is less attractive and if they become fair they will be able to draw much attraction.

In India, before the marriage, the selection of the girl by the family members of the boy is prevalent and actually, you can say it's a tradition. I have heard, especially in West Bengal, that in many cases the family members of the boys didn't proceed with the marriage proposal because of the dark complexion of the girls. So, we can gauge from these incidents why fairness products are widely used. Those who use it, racism is not there in the mind they just want to be fair.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

I applaud the author for starting an interesting thread. Working out to have a better physique, or caring of skin is a different aspect while longing for fair skin reflects the mentality of the person.

I am not a fair complexioned person, but I never longed to have so. That's the reason I have never used fairness cream. I know people who judge others not on their merit and quality but only on the basis of their skin colour. It is ridiculous, but many Indians are still choosy about skin colour.

The author has a point when she says that people who prefer to have fair skin and want to try fairness cream to become fair are racists. Maybe such a thought process would not start any racist fight, but comments made on skin colour is very humiliating. So, this is also a kind of racism. The skin colour cannot be a dividing line, but it is so at the time of many arranged marriages. The parents ask their daughter to use fairness cream when marriage proposals start making rounds, which indicates that for marriage only one criterion is important that is the girl must have fair skin. It is nothing but racism in Indian style.

shampasaid

A thought provoking post by the author. The issue is well taken up.

It is said that - A thing of beauty is joy for ever. There are many parameters from which beauty is assessed. Complexion is one of them. It is natural that people will try to get their complexion to lighter side than the dark ones.

I do not think that it has anything to do with the racist feelings or things like that. It is only a requirement of human beings to look more fair.

Now from the perspective of an onlookers, they will definitely appreciate or endorse the beautiful faces having good complexion but that is not the everything. It is also said that - Everything that glitters is not gold!

So yearning to look more beautiful is a natural trait in us and we use all types of cosmetic materials depending upon how much we can afford and the approximate global cosmetic business of Rs 10,000 billions per annum is based on these desires only.

Knowledge is power.

My view in this regard is very simple and uncomplicated. Generally, Indians have a darker complexion. So, they prefer fairer complexion. Similarly, Europeans have a fairer complexion. So, the prefer tanned complexion.

Let us not complicate the matter by bringing racism, etc.

Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

It is basically the sense of looking more beautiful that is forcing people to use cosmetic. Many of them who are confident and have no inhibition go out without make up and make their presence felt by their knowledge and virtues rather than the looks.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

It is not racism. It is only because of the naive feeling that beauty is other than what we are. It is only because of the inherent or imposed deceptive belief and feeling that ; grass on the other side is greener. We want to be like someone whom we liked or like someone whom we saw was getting attention from others.
    Ultimately it is just a lack of self confidence.

The media, films, commercial products advertisements all create a ongoing in the people especially the young and vulnerable that they are not ,upto the mark, and are not accepted the way they are now. '

People should be taught that , beauty is just skin deep, and real beauty is the inner beauty. People should be taught and made to understand that' Do your duty, that is your beauty,
    Real achievements and service to others will remove the narrow feelings about beauty and increase self confidence and conviction.

This is sad that in our country the person having the fair skin is considered beautiful than the person who is dark but has good features. This is just our perception which has fixed this parameter for beauty. I don't understand why do we look for the fair skinned person. In my opinion, I consider a person having good at heart is beautiful. In this age also we focus on such misconceptions. People who have a narrow mind believe in such things. Although using anti-wrinkle cream is not a bad idea as one wishes to have healthy skin.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Racism is not just about color though it is also one of the factors. A racist is a person who believes that his race is superior to another and so behaves accordingly.

Using fairness creams, I feel, cannot be connected to racism. One cannot change his race just by changing his color. One may be using it because he feels that having a fairer complexion will enhance his beauty and appearance. I totally agree with Aditya that cosmetic companies are basically exploiting our inner desire to become fairer.

If one were to become fair by using a fairness cream (as they promise), considering the number of products available and their sales records per annum, most of us should have been fairer than the whites by now.

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance' - Confucious.

If using fairness products makes us racists then by same logic we should be racist towards tribals who are naked and we are the one wearing clothes. I think this social justice logic does not work in real life. Keeping armpit hairs, not using fairness products that sort of SJW logic is harmful for society. People prefer decency and fairness in the looks, there is nothing racist about it.

• Sign In to post your comments