You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread has won a Special Prize in the TOW contest for the week 17th to 23rd Feb '19.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why people do not like disciplinary measures or guidelines?

I have observed that most of the people are not happy with disciplinary directives and guidelines. Is it embedded in human nature not to comply with such strictures? This question comes often in my mind.

Why is it that whether it is a family atmosphere in the house or workplace or any public place that in spite of repeated reminders people do not follow the basic disciplinary guidelines related to cleanliness or orderliness or observing their turn or not making loud noises or abiding by traffic rules or things like that.

Is it inherent in us to behave like that?

What do you think about this?
    People will follow disciplinary measures irrespective of how strict these measures are only if they feel that these measures will do some good for them. You cannot make anyone follow anything unless they want to do it by themselves. Ask a person not to throw garbage on road. Until he understands the importance of discipline, he will keep throwing garbage and polluting the road. He may not do it in front of everyone as he may fear that people may complain about him. But once he understands that polluting the road is going to bring in health hazards to everyone in the society including him and his family, he will stop doing that.

It is important to implement disciplinary measures. However, it is more important to educate everyone regarding them. Until people understand the importance of discipline and why they should cultivate the habit of following them, it is not going to be a successful program. Moreover, not following the discipline measures is not an inherent or inborn quality. It is just a choice. Some people choose to follow the guidelines and others don't.

There are many citizens who abide by the rules and regulations taking them in a positive stride. At the same time the indisciplined and notorious are also there who do not bother for any rule and take it very casually.

In my opinion it shows the upbringing and social background of a person that how he behaves and reacts to the disciplinary regulations.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

It is inherent in many people. Still, there are people who follow the discipline. We see many senior officers in the government sector we work sincerely in their posts and never expect to get anything extra. They go by discipline and rule book. I think because of at least a few such people only we are able to live on the earth. Otherwise, we will see a day where people will kill each other for money very easily. Even today it is happening but the percentage is less.
    The family background and the morals that are taught to the individual when he is a child will make the difference.
    My elder son drives a car. He never drives without having the seat belt. My second son drives a motorcycle. He will never go out without a helmet on his head. I drive a car by taking all the precautions prescribed only. Like this we will find many people who are disciplined and follow all the rules and regulations which are in enforcement in that area.

drrao
    always confident

Disciplinary measures from any institution are put in place to actually help people to success.

Suppose, we have to follow certain guidelines on ISC to work on it. Anything against the guidelines are not encouraged on this plateform. We can't dictate our own terms and throw away the set principles on ISC. This is how ISC works while members follow the guidelines without raising eyebrows.

Same is the case with other institutions. All organisation have their set guidelines under which they work. And such norms are good for the success of the organisation as well as for employers.

Likewise, we already have driving norms in place like wearing a helmet while driving a bicycle, putting seat belt or following traffic rules are important for our own safety. If we break the rules we not only creating a problem for ourselves but also to the common people on the streets and roads.

Actually, guidelines are for the welfare of the people. We should strictly follow them.

In my opinion, rules are made for the benefits of the followers. Therefore it's always better for us not to break them. But there are people ho don't like following them because they feel rules kill their freedom. Such people always hurt themselves as there are certain rules made for our safety and when they don't follow them then there are chances that they hurt themselves or take risks in life.

Apart from this, there are certain rules which are made but they are not easy to follow or there is no effect of following them, in such case people think why should they follow them. Therefore a rule maker also should understand it and should take it into consideration while setting or modifying the rules.

But the bottom line is we should be sidelines enough in life and should always try that we don't break any rule as somewhere it's going to affect us or someone else.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

The problem is modern humans question too much and want to be free. We might be astonished to the know, the art of questioning took over in ancient Greeco-Roman states around 300 BC and continued till first five centuries into AD. Then the art vanished. Ancient Indian schools of debates, philosophy and questioning lost their prominence in and around 10 century AD. In Arabian Peninsula the school of questioning only came around 900 AD. Noting these years is important because when people stop or don't question, culture becomes stagnant. We have not stopped questioning in last 800 years. Much has happened in these years and we always got several notions of "freedom". And with ever rising rebellions everywhere, every rule placed by authority started seeming oppression to us. "We now want to be free and not obeying the authority is true freedom", is what people started thinking.
    To summarize, we are asking too much in modern era and we want to be free of authority's influence.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

A child follows what she/he sees. When the child finds the parent not wearing a seatbelt while driving the car, automatically this will be followed if corrective measures are not taken at the initial stage. While breaking rules cannot be termed as a habit, many factors may influence people to break rules. I raised this thread considering one such factor and one thing that came out from the discussion is the importance of strict punishment for those who break rules. When somebody is breaking a rule, receives the harsh punishment and becomes aware of not to repeat the mistake, we say the punishment is effective. But there are a lot who are repeat offenders and for them, harsher punishment has to be meted out to discipline them.

While I agree with Aditya when he says that people nowadays want to be free, I am in doubt what is meant by the freedom to those people. The world is a place for all of us, therefore we all have a responsibility towards all the happenings around us. Now if this freedom means somebody will attack the other person if the demand is not met then we can conclude that the person doesn't have any concern for the others. When you do not have any concern for the others, recklessness can be observed in the behaviour and that may be the reason for not abiding by the disciplinary guidelines.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.