You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Winners

L.O.W. Quiz Winners

The winner of the L.O.W. Quiz with a cash reward of Rs. 100 is Juana. The second prize winner of Rs. 75 is Sankalan Bhattacharya and the third prize winner of Rs. 50 is Sun. Congratulations to all of you.

The time of entries and the tally of points are-
    1. Aditya-23 Feb, 12:50 - 9 points
    2. Sun-23 Feb, 13:17 - 12 points
    3. Deepak-23 Feb, 16:16 - 7 points
    4. Sunil-23 Feb, 16:38 - 7 points
    5. Syed Rizwan-23 Feb, 16:39 - 7 points
    6. Juana-23 Feb, 16:50 - 15 points
    7. Umesh-23 Feb, 17:30 - 11 points
    8. Dr.Rao-23 Feb, 18:14 - 10 points
    9. Venkiteswaran-23 Feb, 18:33 - 12 points
    10. Bala-23 Feb, 20:57 - 12 points
    11. Neeru-23 Feb, 21:37 - 11 points
    12. Shampa-24 Feb, 00:49 - 12 points
    13. Sankalan-24 Feb, 01:21 - 13 points
    14. Sanjeev-24 Feb, 08:15 - 10 points

The answer key (with the jury panel accepting alternate answers which very closely matched the answer key) -
    Disc Jockey/DJ
    Dentist
    Jeweller
    Tailor
    Teacher
    Plumber
    Emcee
    Editor
    Baker
    Sommelier
    Ornithologist
    Salesman/Saleswoman
    Astrologer
    Judge
    Lawyer/Advocate
    Carpenter
    Traffic Policeman/Traffic Inspector
    Pilot
    Wicketkeeper
    Painter

The points and cc for the correct answers and the cash awards to the main prize winners' profile accounts will be credited before the February payment is announced.
    Hearty congrats to the Quiz winners Juana and Sankalan Bhattacharya, and the participants. Happy to see SuN winning a prize.

But I have a doubt. While Sankalan with 13 is a third prize winner, how come SuN with 12 points stands as the second prize winner. Something has gone wrong.

I humbly request our ME to have a look at it. Sankalan should get Rs. 75/- as the second prize winner and SuN should get the third prize of Rs. 50/- only.

No life without Sun

Thanks, Sun for pointing out the mix-up. I had placed it incorrectly in the text and it has been rectified now.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Good to see members winning the quiz at ISC. I congratulate the winners of this competition. May you always shine and contribute valuable information to this forum.
    Congratulations once again!

Wow the results are here. I wonder how others even pulled it off. I found the clues so difficult that I wanted to withdraw. So the contest was quite challenging for me. Juana is very intelligent. Congratulations Sun and Sankalan. Now that I have seen the hints I understood how horribly I performed in this contest. I like hard contests like these Vandana. Great job in creating and conducting it.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

This was a very interesting quiz and I found it more difficult than a crossword and at the same time it was much more interesting relatively.

I congratulate the winners for their superb performance and these awards.

Well done and all the best.

Knowledge is power.

Congratulations to all the winners. A very good quiz conducted very fast and announced the results also very fast.
    I hope the winners will continue their good work and win many more awards in the coming competitions also.

drrao
    always confident

Congratulations to Juana, Sankalan Bhattacharya and Sun for winning the respective prizes in this contest.

Appreciation for the conduct of the contest and speedy announcement of result. Appreciation to all participants.

I pat myself on scoring this much points and standing in third position(though not getting a prize). I had worked on it impromptu on the spot and posted it without waiting. I knew well that had I waited to review or to think well and send,then I would not have even participated -as my focus would have changed by then.

Anyway,the contest was useful to me, as I learned a new word (Sommelier) from this contest. Thanks Vandana.

That was a good contest. Heartly congratulations to the winners especially Juana for being the winner of the quiz. Also, it was a well-organised quiz. It was tough. I am happy with my performance.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Congratulations to all the three winners. I could not participate but the contest was really fun.
    Wish to participate in more such contest in future!

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

It is really an interesting contest, My heartiest congratulation for winners who are on the list with first, the second and third position and best of luck to all member for next contest in ISC.
    Phagu Mahato
    Success occurs when opportunity and preparation meet.

My congratulations to all the winners of this contest. I am happy to find my name in the list of winners and yes, I also found this quiz difficult to solve at the beginning.

It took me some time to guess the answers and for a few of them, I was really clueless. Here also the winners' points tally is very close to each other and the quiz was an interesting one. My thanks to ME for bringing out this interesting quiz and from the clues and the answer keys it is understood a lot of brain work was there to think of a contest like this.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

An after thought.
    It was not a Quiz with straight forward questions to answer. It was a Puzzle that the questions puzzled the members. So, such contests should be called a Puzzle contest, not Quiz contest.

No life without Sun

Congratulations to all winners as well as all participants of this contest. Our Vandana Madam did an excellent work for us. Thank you madam for arranging this wonderful contest.

It is not easy to create cryptic clues, for a puzzle. The person behind this creation has a flair for this and is to be appreciated. Well done. The clues challenged the mind.

Congratulations Sankalan and Sun and all the other contestants who scored well.

Six of my answers didn't tally with those in the master key.
    #3 – My answer was gemologist because the clue mentioned 'gems'
    #4 – I put down seamstress
    #8 – I wrote examiner, the one who corrects exam papers because the 'corrections are either loved or hated'. Would appreciate if some light is thrown on the correct choice of answer. I don't understand the connection between the clue and the answer
    #11 – The clue said 'eyes glued' and that made me guess the answer to be a birdwatcher
    #12 – The clue mentioned 'land' which I associated with a realtor
    #20 – The word 'colourful character' made me choose an actor as the answer

I feel some leeway should have been given while judging answers, especially since a colloquial term is listed as a correct answer. And at least one dictionary meaning does not match the clue/answer.

The results show me as having scored 15 points – it should be 14.

Leadership is having a compelling vision, a comprehensive plan, relentless implementation, and talented people working together - Alan Mulally

Juana,
    I mentioned that the jury panel accepted alternate answers which very closely matched the answer key and hence your answer of seamstress was accepted, thus making it a total of 15.

Clue #8 - I had in mind the editors who may approve or improve something, be it a written piece or, say, a film scene (hence are loved) or delete/remove something which was considered to be good by the author/film writer/artist (hence are hated). Six participants gave the correct answer as Editor.

Let us know for our general knowledge which colloquial term is listed as a correct answer and which dictionary meaning does not match the clue/answer.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

My hearty congratulations to Juana mam, Sankalan Bhattacharya and Sun for winning the first, second and third prizes respectively in the LOW quiz. It was a very interesting contest.
    Regards
    Rizwan

Hearty Congratulations to Juana, Sankalan and Sun for winning the first, second and third prizes respectively in the L.O.W. Quiz contest!

The cash rewards have been credited.

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance' - Confucious.

It was a very interesting quiz and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Many members scored good points. The best thing was a good participation.

In a crossword type of puzzle, we get number of letters in the word but here it was purely the selection of an appropriate word fitting the indication and direction shown by the clue.

I appreciate the hard work and time spent behind compilation of these clues. Hope we will have similar ones in future also.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Going by the clue, I would never have guessed the answer to be, editor. My understanding of the word is different – editors aren't loved or hated for the work they do. The explanation describes a moderator – you love or hate them, for what they do, as also a censor, for the same reason.

Traffic Inspector is a colloquial term.

The dictionary defines jeweller as someone else.

Nevertheless, the effort put into creating this puzzle is commendable.

Leadership is having a compelling vision, a comprehensive plan, relentless implementation, and talented people working together - Alan Mulally

Congratulations to all the winners! It was a tough quiz contest, and at the very beginning, I got confused terribly. Honestly speaking I took help from my son for a few clues. He was better than me.

Kudos and thanks to the editors for coming up with such a brainstorming L.O.W. quiz.

shampasaid

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.