You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is it right to dress unconventionally in temples?

Temples are places for worship. Men and women should make it a point to dress well, but mostly in traditional attire. Even a slight deviation can cause some amount of distraction at temples and is not needed or advised.

Women clad in jeans or sleeveless blouses with saris in temples tend to distract the attention of anyone who is quite young. I have seen this happen rarely, but it still happens. Either of these two dresses is fine of things like wedding receptions. But when worn in temples, there is some chance of inviting comments.

Should we not follow some ground rules here? Should not the elders educate very young people to follow some tradition? In some temples in Kerala, the dhoti is given on rent and men are allowed inside only in a dhoti. Even the pants are not okay. This is exactly what should happen. Wherever there is a dress code, it is fine to follow such dress codes.

What do members have to say on this?
    There are many religions in the world belonging to various communities. Each religion has its own distinguishing features regarding way of worshipping, time of worshipping, dress code and other such things.

Religion has a great affinity with culture and traditions. It looks to mythology for guidance and thrives upon the insecurity and helplessness felt by the individuals. For some it is also a way of getting peace and solace in life.

To preserve the identity of a religion there are some elements which are to be observed by all of its followers. Dress is one such attribute and as per hindu phosophy a washed dhoti after bath is the prescribed dress for worshipping.

Some temples are modernised and they do not force for a prescribed dress. Like Hare Rama Hare Krishna temple.

As there are many different sects within a religion, it is difficult to adhere to one single dress code.

It has a business aspect also and if due to some reason the number of devotees dwindle because of stringent rules the temple committee can relax them and allow the people in even trousers.

So it is all the matter of opportunity and convenience that the saints and temple trust will change their ways with time.

Knowledge is power.

I agree with the author. There should be a dress code for males and females when they visit a temple. In some big and famous temples these days we are seeing the implementation of dress codes in the temples. In Trivandrum Anantapadbhanbha Swamy temple and in Tirumala Venkateswara Swamy temple the dress code is being implemented. Like this, in many other temples, this system is being implemented.
    But the point here is, whether there is a dress code or not the devotees should follow decency in their dressing methods.
    Another problem I have noticed in temples is cell phones. People will come with cell phones to temples and those phones will be causing disturbance to the concentration of other devotees who are in the temple at that temple.
    I feel people should not disturb the attention of other people when they are in the temple. Enough care should be taken by all the devotees.

drrao
    always confident

I think only a few temples are having a dress code in our country. If it so then there people are generally abiding by that.

Those who just go there do not enter if some stringent code is asked to be followed.

With time, these things are getting modified to great extent.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

I feel religion is a business in India. In the quagmire of following strictures at various religious places, the whole objective is lost. Everybody must apply their senses while dressing, whether it is for visiting the temple, going to the party or for official work. The author has said that there is a chance of inviting comments in certain dresses, the question is who are raising these comments. If everybody is doing their own job seriously there is no point in interfering with others' affairs. I believe people go to the temple to worship or to gain sufficient energy by staying inside in solitude.

Those who are to make comments on others attire or way of doing certain things inside the temple, I think they are not aware of their purpose of visiting the temple.

As for mobile devices and cameras, a strict rule must be employed to prohibit their usage inside the temple complex.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Yes, there must be a dress code for males and females in temples. This is necessary to prevent the so-called liberals and proponents of anarchy to (indirectly) insult Hinduism. These proponents of liberalism and freedom of dress never dare to visit religious places of other communities inappropriately dressed. Their sense of liberalism and freedom to wear wakes up only at the time of visiting Hindu religious places,

The time has now come to bluntly speak the truth.

Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

I think why should there be a dress code in the temples? Are we not cultured enough that when we see a woman wearing a sleeveless blouse in the temple we comment on her? These rules we have made God has nothing to do in it.

Several years back I visited Shingnapur ( Shani temple ) in Maharashtra where males are allowed to go inside wearing just dhoti whereas a female is not allowed to go inside the temple. I was surprised to see it. I visited Mahakaleshwar wherein the Bhasma Aarti females are allowed in a saree and males in only dhoti and the rules are so rigid that even a girl of 13-14 years has to wear a saree only.

This is all we have made it and I am surprised that in the 21st century we believe in it. It's very strange why should a temple impose such rules people should have a common sense that what they should wear in the temple and not others should decide it.

I am against such rules and we should oppose it.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Sankara Sir, I agree with you that the comments should not be there in the first place. However, in several parts of India, we do find people are still conservative. I used to see women wearing sleeveless blouses way back in 1983 in the New Delhi R K Puram temple. None bothered. It was so common to see women wearing it so regularly then.

So, much depends on the environment. If the same is worn at say at a temple in Tiruchur in Kerala, am sure there will be comments. It all depends on people. As I have already mentioned, the instances are rare. So , it is wise to know before hand , the rules. In Kerala, they are very strict with men. I do not know about women now.

You are pretty bold for making that point in the era of feminism. This is what i believe in. People should wear what they like but only as long as it doesn't infringe upon other's right to feel comfortable. Isn't an inappropriate dress really distracting?
    Joining to your thread, I was watching the Ellen show. Ellen was wearing a really revealing dress that was really distracting even for the children present in the audience. It is not about gender or age. Feeling discomfort about something is natural. You at free to dress the way you please. As long as you don't infringe upon other's comfort zone.
    That is what i believe.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

The devotees visiting the temple should wear the dress that is worn by the deity. Generally, in Hindu temples, the deity wears a dhoti or saree, not pant and suit, kurtha and pyjama or chudidhar. This is should be borne in the minds of the people who are planning to visit a temple or going on a pilgrimage to Hindu shrines.

In Kerala, the Krishna temple located in Guruvayur won't allow devotees in pant or Chudidhar. Dhoti or Saree is a must. Men should visit topless or with an Angavastra.

Members, Let me know the deity who wears anything other than dhoti or saree.

No life without Sun

According to me, what should be followed is wearing clothes which resemble Hindu culture rather than any dress code. Hindu culture has so much rich heritage and it follows so many holy rituals. There is no harm in wearing proper attire when we go to the temple. Thou we are so modernised now, some ladies prefer dressing themselves in proper Indian suits or sarees when any respectful person is about to visit their home. It shows that you respect someone. It is not about avoiding distraction but following culture . We respect our deities and so while going to temple we should go in clothes which should reflect Hindu values rather than clothes which create unnecessary vibes of modern outlook.

An interesting incident to narrate here. Hope I must have posted it earlier too. I don't remember.

There is a Hindu temple at Suchindram in Kanyakumari district of Tamilnadu. The residing deity of that temple is Lord Shiva. It is a vast and famous temple. Few years back, I visited that temple town in pant and shirt. When I wanted to visit the temple, at the entrance, they stopped me and asked me to wear dhoti without shirt. When I said No dhoti with me, they directed me to hire a dhoti. I hired a dhoti and wanted to change it. While changing it, one of the temple authority told me not to remove the pant but wear the dhoti over the pant. I questioned them, "Is it right to wear a dhoti over the pant and cheat the deity? He said, "No problem Sir, It is allowed". I returned the dhoti in anger and told that guy that I won't visit the temple then. I told Lord Shiva, " O Lord, there is corruption in your temple. You are surrounded by cheats. I shall visit you when I wear a dhoti or carry my own dhoti during my next visit to your holy shrine. Excuse me." I returned without sighting the Lord. I am yet to visit the temple.

@ Was it the temple deity who doesn't want me to see him or he did not want to see me!

No life without Sun

As far as dress restrictions inside the temples are concerned uniformity is not there. The temples in one State follow a system, where as another State will have a different system. In Kerala in almost all temples men are not allowed to enter wearing shirts or other body covering dresses. However, ladies can wear dresses covering the whole body. Earlier men had to wear dhothi alone. Pants were not allowed. These days pants without shirts are allowed in several temples.
    During the season when the people go to Sabarimala temples, most of the devotees wear black dhoties which are allowed in all temples. In Sabarimala, both men and women are to dress in black.

tmsankaran

• Sign In to post your comments