You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Should there be a comma before but?

Members,
    I have another doubt about comma and but.
    Should there be a comma before the word but?
    When should we use a comma or not a comma before but?

Explain it with suitable examples.
    You should put a comma before but only when but is connecting two independent clauses.
    I would go to a movie, but it is raining. In this sentence, two sentences are I would go to a movie and It is raining. The two sentences are having their own meanings. You are connecting two independent statements by using a but. In such a case, you require a comma.
    I would go to a movie but for the rain. In the sentence, one clause is an independent clause and the other is a dependent clause. The sentence 'for the rain' is not a complete sentence. This is dependent on the sentence what was written before. " I would go to a movie". In such cases, we need not put a comma.
    This is what I learned in English grammar. However, the usage of Comma is very confusing and we will many times miss using this punctuation marking correctly.

drrao
    always confident

Use of comma before but is really confusing and leads to syntax errors.

I will like to add one set of example -
    (A) It is nothing else but a wrong story.
    (B) I was happy to see him, but was much disappointed that you could not come.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

You should put a comma before but only when but is connecting two independent clauses. ... That means they're independent clauses, so you need to use a comma before but. When you don't have two independent clauses, leave the comma out. I would go for a walk, but for the rain.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    shampasaid

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.