You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

Who is the best prime Minister so far for the Country

Country has seen 15 Prime Ministers so far after the Independence. Starting from Jawahar Lal Nehru, who ruled the Country for 6130 days which is highest among all the Prime Minister. Next comes Mrs. Indira Gandhi who was Prime Minister for 5829 days. Third place goes to Mr. Manmohan Singh who occupied the position for 3656 days. The next person who occupied the Prime Minister post for longer period is Shri. Atala Bihari Vajapayee, 2272 days. Followed by Shri. Rajiv Gandhi,1858 days, Shri. P V Narasimha Rao, 1791 days, Shri. Narendra Modi, 1758 days, Shri. Morarji Desai, 856 days , Shri. Lal Bahadur Shastri, 581 days, Shri. V P SIngh, 343 days, Shri. I K Gujral, 332 days, Shri. H D Deve Gowda 324 days, Shri. Chandrashekar, 223 days, Shri. Charan Singh, 170 days and Shri. Gulzari Lal Nanda 26 days.

Among these veterans whom you consider the best Prime Minister and why?
    Many of the Prime Ministers have some positive points and some negative points. If you see the list of Prime Ministers the Nehru Family members are there for longer days as PMs. Nehru, Indira, Rajiv and Sonia(Man Mohan). Among these four also there are so many differences. If I say Indira Gandhi is good but somebody else may say Rajiv Gandhi is good.
    My ranking will be
    Rank.1 Lal Bahadur Sastry. He never ruled the country. He served the country. He has shown by example how a PM should function. He coined the slogan Jai Jawan and Jai Kisan. In his tenure, India won the battle against Pakistan. But unfortunately, he was killed in Russia.
    Rank 2: Vajpayee. A person who said Country is the first and all others after country only. A very clean person without any corruption charges against him. He focused on good relations with neighbouring countries.
    Rank 3: P V Narasimha Rao: He has become PM by accident. But he has done an excellent job. The country was handed over to him in very bad shape. But with his intellectual brain, he made the country to have a new look. His globalisation concept has paid very rich dividends and made India a better country.

In the list given by the author the present PM's name is not there and hence I have not considered his name for ranking. Otherwise, he might have occupied a place in the top 3 positions.

drrao
    always confident

Dr. Rao,
    Our present PM is there. You failed to read the present Prime Minister's name appearing after NarasimahaRao and before Morarji Desai.

No life without Sun

This is not only to be seen in today's perspective but also the condition of our country just after the independence and the actions taken by the respective Govt.

So in addition to the names of Lal Bahadur Shastri, Atal Bihari Bajpai, Narasimha Rao and Morarji Desai, I will also like to remember the developmental work done by Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi.

With time, better and better leaders will come but the past ones who have also done significant contributions depending upon the situations at that time do also deserve some appreciation.

Knowledge is power.

SUN, You are correct. Somehow I missed it. Sorry about that. In such a case, he will be in the 2nd position of my list after Lal Bahadur and before Atal. I wish and hope the people will give him a favourable vote so that he will come to power once again which will make India a better place to live in.
    drrao
    always confident

In my opinion Lal Bahadur Shastri, Atal Bihari Bajpai, Narshimha Rao and Indira Gandhi can be considered as the most effective PMs of their time.

These people were dynamic and had a vision for the country.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

My view:-

1. Ms. Indira Gandhi
    2. Narendra Modi
    3. Atal Vihari Bajpai
    4. Jawahar lal Nehru
    5. PV Narasimha Rao
    6. Lal Bahadur Shastri
    7. Dr. Man Mohan Singh
    8. Rajiv Gandhi
    9. VP Singh
    10. Morarji Desai

(N.B. 1: I have not taken into account Charan Singh, Deve Gowda, Chandra Sekhar, IK Gujral and Guljari Lal Nanda because their tenure had been too less for any significant activity.)

(N.B. 2: I am sure that if Lal Bahadur Shastri -ji could get complete five years' tenure, his ranking would be much higher.)

'Nayak nahin; Khalnayak hoon main' (I am not the hero; I am the villain)

Most members of ISC might not have witnessed the era of the Prime Ministers listed in this thread. One should have crossed 80+ to have them known well. Others may not know who was Jawaharlal Nehru, Shastri and Indira Gandhi. They read the books to know their performance. Every Prime Minister had performed his duty sincerely and left the office. All did their best. We should feel happy that none of the Prime Ministers was corrupt like the present Chief Ministers of the states.

The Congress party would claim to say their PMs were excellent. BJP would say Atalji and Modiji are the best. JP would say Morarji, VP Singh, Chandrasekhar were the best. JD would claim that Deva Gowda was the best.

No life without Sun

Since Independence all prime ministers have had different challenges to work with, and hence it is many times challenging to identify the best among them as they span across various generations as well. Given this, I would have the following views regarding the best prime minister

In my view, Narasimha Rao is the best prime minister India has had. He become the prime minister when he has already decided to retire from active politics. During his time the economic reforms took place which enable India to grow as a economic power as we see today. High qualified and was able to balance the political and economic situations despite having a minority government.
    Next in my list would be Rajiv Gandhi. He was instrumental in the telecom and IT space. The IT services which we see today as a major export from India, is mainly due to the policy decisions taken by his government at that point of time.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    Honesty is the best policy.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

Why are some of the Members discussing old threads and the Editor(s) not locking the thread till now?
    'Nayak nahin; Khalnayak hoon main' (I am not the hero; I am the villain)

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.