You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Cricket

2019 Indian Premier League (IPL) - discuss all the results and share the excitement here!

The 2019 IPL has begun and it is time to share the excitement of the T20 games that will play out in the coming days. Join us and cheer your team!

The 2019 Indian Premier League (IPL) T20 tournament has begun yesterday. Instead of having a separate thread on each match, we request members to discuss the matches in this one thread. You can talk about the teams, players, results, etc.

To start off - yesterday's match was a really bad way to start the IPL, with such a low score for the defending champions to defend, thanks to the wily spin of Harbhajan Singh. As captain of the CSK's team, Dhoni is off to a great start while his counterpart Kohli needs to rally his team together and keep their spirits up to tackle the next game positively.

Today we have Mumbai Indians vs Delhi Capitals. An interesting fact I read was that neither team has ever won their opening IPL game!! So who'll erase that record from their team's C.V.? Tune in at 8 p.m. sharp.

[Note: we'll have a similar single thread for the 2019 World Cup Cricket tournament later, in May.]
    Royal challengers Bangalore , RCB started their campaign with a worst note which has disappointed all its fans. Nevertheless fans of Mahendra Singh Dhoni can celebrate the Victory of ,Chennai Super Kings -CSK.

There is lot to come from all the teams in the coming matches. Hope future matches will be competitive and cricket fans enjoy the matches and let best team win

"If you don’t understand my silence, you will not understand my words"
    Unknown

Yesterday in another match Sunrisers, Hyderabad lost to Kolkatta Knight Riders. The match was very interesting till the last over. Bhuvaneswar Kumar's one over is very bad and the runs scored were 17 runs. Rashid Khan was better. But Knight Riders outplayed the bowlers. Due is also played some importance in the game.
    In another match, Mumbai Indians lost to Delhi Capitals. Last IPL season Mumbai started the series with a win. But this time it is the other way round. Rishab Pant played an excellent inning which has come in handy to Delhi to win the match.

drrao
    always confident

Chennai Super Kings, Delhi Capitals and Kolkata Knight Riders have re3gistered wins in their respective first matches. Royal Challenger Bangalore, Mumbai Indians and Sunrisers Hyderabad have lost their first matches.
    Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

Let's talk about the controversial stumping of Jos Buttler by Ashwin. The latter, on his way to delivering the ball in the 13th over, uprooted the stumps when Buttler stepped out of his crease, ready to take a run. While Ashwin stated that there was nothing wrong in the dismissal and he did it on instinct, many fans of the sport have come down heavily on his action. Could he not have given the first warning at least, that Butler should be alert to a possible dismissal if he does it a second time? I personally do feel it was not sportsmanship. Having uprooted the stumps, he could have told Butler, "See, I will do this the next time around you step ahead before I complete the delivery." Yes, competitiveness is there and teams want to win, but should it be at the cost of the true spirit of the game?
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

The dismissal of Butler was perfectly legal and there should not be any controversy. This is not the era of Vinoo Mankad. Cricket nowadays involves crores of rupees. So, all these sentiments have no value. The dismissal is legal and that is sufficient.

It may be officially correct (legal as one calls it), but should everything only be as per the rule book on a sports field? Action was taken on instinct as claimed by Ashwin. What about that inner voice which instinctively shouts "This is not right. It is unsporting." Was that voice not heard at all?
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Yes. Jos Buttler played very well. It is unfortunate that he was dismissed in a very unwanted way. But Rajasthan Skipper Rahane has taken it very sportively and he said the match referee is the deciding authority on this. Ashwin says it is instinctive and he says that Buttler left the crease very early and he covered almost half of the pitch. I think this ball is the game changer. And the bowlers of Punjab bowled the last three overs very well and the pitch got slowed down in the later part of the match.
    As mentioned by ME the bowler might have warned not to leave the place before he bowls. But he is not very sympathetic towards the batsman. Winning is always better but we should see that the spirit of the game is not lost.
    Punjab won the match by 14 runs.

drrao
    always confident

"What about that inner voice which instinctively shouts ...."-------The inner voice couldn't be heard due to the din and bustle in the stadium. Further, if the team lost due to Ashwin's magnanimity, then the media, inner voice and people's voice would say something totally different and there would be different sort of drama.

I think this time Delhi capital team is also strong and they have chance to reach to semi finals but capability of winning final has 3 team Chennai, Hyderabad and Bangalore. You can share your view on team to get more clarity on this .
    Santosh Kumar Singh
    (Sr. Microsoft Dynamics Axapta Technical,Mumbai)

What Ashwin did (Mankad out) to Butler was not true sportsman's spirit and Ashwin can't absolve himself from the act of unsportsmanship. That was totally unfair, even if rules allow you to do that. I have seen bowlers warning non-striker against leaving crease early. Ashwin could have warned Butler not to leave the crease before the ball was released.

However, this is not the first time we found this Mankad way of dismissing a non-striker. Even before such type of dismissals have happened but such run outs always look so awkward and against the sports spirit. There should be some alternative to do away with this Mankad dismissal.

Ashwin's successful attempt to wipe the stumps and Mankad out Butler has come under sharp criticism and brand this as against sports spirit which I, too, feel is not fair in gentle man's game!

Everything is fair in love and war. IPL is a war. Wining is primary moto for each team. But we also call cricket is Gentlemen's game. Therefore there is a controversy.
    Unknown

Chennai Super King recorded its second victory. It has defeated Delhi Capitals in this encounter. Chennai bowlers bowled well and restricted Delhi for 147 for 6 Wickets. Bravo bowled well with figures of 3 wickets for 33 runs. Chennai got the required runs by losing only 4 wickets. Watson is the man of the match. He scored 44 runs in 26 balls.

Many people say that what Ashwin has done in their previous match is not correct. There are many people differing from this act. Still, a lot of discussions are going around on the same subject. Gautam Gambhir says what Aswin has done this may be due to a lot of pressure he is having. he feels he has to make a good show to ensure a place for him in the coming world cup tournaments. He might have done this act out of that pressure. But some cricketers and commentators like Harsha were on the side of Aswin. They are in support of Aswin. However, this is not a fair practice.

drrao
    always confident

What Ashwin did is not illegal, but if we only consider the legality of his action, then sportsmanship will go for a toss. Big names in cricket Like Prasanna and Dravid both gave stress on warning at the first instance, and even after that if the same mistake occurs, then there is nothing disgraceful in mankading the player.

It seems to be Ashwin's attitude. He did it against Sri Lanka in 2012, but Sehwag and Tendulkar withdrew the appeal, and the batsman was not given out.

shampasaid

Kolkata Knight riders posted a formidable total of 219 against Kings XI Punjab. Its a record total in IPL 2019. Andrew Russell scored blistering 47 in 16 balls. Will Gale help kings xi punjab to reach the target!
    Unknown

As expected Kolkatta won the match against Punjab. Kolkatta won by 28 runs. Russell's innings is really a feast to watch. When he was on 3 runs he was out but unfortunately, the ball was a no-ball and this no ball has changed the entire game. Gale's early dismissal is the main reason for this defeat of Punjab. Mayank's half-century is not able to save the team from the defeat.
    Rahul Dravid supports the action of Ashwin. He says it is as per rules and it is his right. But personally, he will give a warning first to the batsman if he is in the position of Ashwin.

drrao
    always confident

Royal Challenger Bangalore -RCB lost their opening match to Chennai Super Kings- CSK. Today RCB is playing against Mumbai Indians in their home ground. RCB and Bangalore fans are warming up to face Mumbai Indians. Will Virat Kohli succeed in facing the challenge of Rohith Sharma?.

RCB has other important players AB De Viliers, Moeen Ali , Chahal, Tim Southee in their ranks. Mumbai Indian have players like Kieron Pollard, Quinton De kock, Ben cutting, Yuvaraj Singh, Jasprit Bumrah, Ishan Kishan, Hardik Pandya

The contest will be interesting to watch. The match will be played at KSCA stadium , Bangalore.

Unknown

In yesterdays' match, Mumbai recorded its first victory over Royal Challengers Bangalore. This is the second consecutive loss to Bangalore. Bangalore was playing well. They require 40 runs to win the match in the last 3 overs. Devilairs was at his best. He scored 70 runs in 41 balls with 4 boundaries and 6 sizes. But unfortunately, his performance has not given the victory to Bangalore. Bumarah bowled well and stopped the batsmen from scoring the runs and Mumbai won.
    drrao
    always confident

Yes Bangalore was about near to win but last 2 over was key point of the match. Bumrah really best bowler nowadays and he learn a lot. Malinga is experienced bowler so he used his experience in last over and abel to convert loss to win for Mumbai. Congrats Mumbai. Keep it up.
    Santosh Kumar Singh
    (Sr. Microsoft Dynamics Axapta Technical,Mumbai)

Virat Kohli was complaining against the umpire who has not ruled the last ball of Malinga as no ball. RCB needed seven runs of the last ball. In case the last ball was declared no ball RCB would have got one more ball requiring five runs to win or four runs to tie. But, that we not to be. Match ended with the victory of Mumbai Indians.
    Unknown

RCB was so very close to winning! MI really needs to put more runs on the Board when batting first in order to give a competitive total to opponents. Less than 200 against teams like CSK and KKR is just not enough. If it had not been for Jasprit Bumrah's magical spell, MI would be having a second loss to its name.

(note to everyone - always check for spelling errors after submissions and get the names of people right, please. Don't post in haste and just exit the thread without checking what you have typed!)

Today Sunrisers meet the Royals. Many are waiting to see David Warner and Steve Smith on the opposing teams! I think SRK has the upper hand as far as their batting prowess is concerned, but if they bat first and have a small total to defend, they just may lose the plot if their bowlers fail, no matter that likely Kane Williamson will be back to lead the team. Bhuvneshwar Kumar needs to live up to his awesome record of 120 wickets in the IPL games to date.

The heroics of Sanju Samson of Rajastan Royals went waste as Sunrisers Hyderabad emerged victorious in IPL 19. Sanju Samson scored blistering 102 in 55 balls with 10 boundaries and 4 huge sixes. He was ably supported by Rajastan Royals Captain Ajinkya Rahane.

But sunrisers Hyderabad had different plans. David Warner gave good start for Sunrisers scoring quick 69 runs of 37 balls. Followed , useful contribution by Wicket keeper Batsman Jonny Bairstow with 45 runs of 28 balls. The cracker 35 of 15 balls by Vijay Shankar turned the table in favour of Sunrisers Hyderabad. Bowler Rashid Khan gave a finishing touch with 15 of 8 balls with good bowling figure eventually declared man of the match.

Unknown

Hyderabad Sunrisers recorded their first victory in the tournament and Rajasthan lost both the matches. Sanju's century and his batting is a feast to watch to the eyes. Rashid 's bowling performance was good and he was declared man of the match. With this win, Hyderabad will have high morale and may perform very well in the coming matches, so that they will be in the first four in the list.
    drrao
    always confident

Today we have two matches lined up. The first match starts at 4.00 PM between Kings XI Punjab and Mumbai Indians at Mohali. The second match is between Delhi Capitals Vs Kolkata Knight Riders at Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium New Delhi. Both matches are evenly contested and worth watching.
    Unknown

DC and KKR. What a match? Kolkatta knight riders scored 185 for the loss of 8 wickets. Delhi has to score 186. They are very comfortable at 170 for the loss of 2 wickets. Everybody thought Calcutta has lost the game. But in the last over Kuldeep has given only 5 runs and two wickets were lost. The match has become a tie. Then the super over came. Delhi has made 10 runs in the super over. Then Kolkatta has scored only 7 runs in the super over. That is how Delhi won the match.
    Punjab recorded another wicket on Mumbai Indians.

drrao
    always confident

The target of 232 set by Hyderabad sun risers proved too much or Royal Challengers Bangalore- RCB. Bairstow and David Warner scored century. RCB succumbed to early wickets and they are down by six wickets and mere 66 on board. This going to be third successive loss for Virat Kohli lead RCB
    Unknown

IPL 2019 is again in full fledge and its always a matter of concern of RCB and its performance. RCB has many fine players and great performers but do not know why their IPL performance every year disappointing. Is it Virat Kohli's leadership or any other matter? Are they lagging team performance ?
    Dr. Paresh B. Gujarati.
    Mechanical Engineer.
    'I'mprovement always begins with 'I'.

The poor performance of RCB continues. The score of 158 by the RCB proved too small for Royals. The fielding of RCB was not up to the mark. The dropped catches became costly for RCB.
    Unknown

Rajasthan Royals won their first win by defeating Royal Challengers Bangalore by 7 wickets in the IPL match played between Rajasthan Royals and Royal Challengers Bangalore yesterday. I'm happy because my state team won the match.

The RCB team batted first and again flopped and all out of 154/8 in 20 overs.

Rajasthan Royals bowler Shreyas Gopal has been an important contributor to the royal challengers for a comprehensive 158 runs. Shreyas Gopal took the wicket of Virat kohli, de villiers and hetmayer in the match. He was also given man of the match award for this spectacular performance.

Thanks to the half century of Jos Buttler. He played a wonderful innings of 59 runs. Steve Smith and Rahul Tripathi also gave good batting for their team.

After the low scoring first half of the game, I was sure that MI's total would not be too tough for CSK to reach. Even the blitzkrieg of runs in the last two overs did not stretch the score to over 200 and with CSK being the current champions and having won all the previous games in this edition, it did look like MI would face yet another loss. I did not catch the full game due to the late hours, but was totally astonished to read in the newspaper today that MI had won! I watched the highlights of the game and saw that stunning catch by Pollard. Simply unbelievable, that! I also think the early wickets by the Aussie pacer Jason Behrendorff infused confidence into the other bowlers and the team as a whole. Having broken the winning spell of CSK, MI go into their next match with renewed vigour. Will they dim the glow of the Sunrisers?

Before start of the IPL, RCB was boasting this time IPL Cup is theirs. The 6th successive defeat of RCB is tells the real story. From here where do they go. Can they qualify for the playoffs?
    Unknown

IPL again turned into some interesting manifesto as we see low scoring matches suddenly in last 3-4 matches. Last two days matches shown that bowlers also have crucial role. However it is still not clear that it is really turning to be interesting or they are making pitches to make it interesting. RCB is really great team and have ability to clinch IPL trophy but somwhow they are missing on real front . One of the reason could be changing team on regular basis. Virat should give chance to players and trust them to prove their ability. KKR and CSK are favorites again as usual and they are playing really well. MI and SRH are also favorite for Playoff along with CSK and KKR but KXIP,DC & RR are trying hard for getting into it. RCB has to show some magical moments to win matches and reach playoff.
    So in my scenario CSK, KKR, MI and SRH are teams who will reach for playoff.

Kings XI Punjab scored 197 for 4 against Mumbai Indians. A superb century by K L Rahul helped Kings XI Punjab to post a challenging total. It was a splendid innings by Indian International K L Rahul.

The RCB fans were recently seen accusing RCB for not retaining players like K L Rahul, Robin Uthappa, Manish Pandey, Karun Nair, Mayank Agarwal, Vinay Kumar, Shreyas Gopal, Gautham, etc. These players from Karnataka are shining in other teams. Whereas RCB, keeping the name Bangalore did not bid for any Karnataka players and now trotting at the bottom of the table. The RCB fans posing a question why they should support RCB, when they do not take Karnataka players in to confidence.

Unknown

We have seen lot of excitement in matches, either it is low scoring matches or chasing high score. Yesterdays match where MI shown team performance to win match. RCB need to learn it from such matches and contribute to win matches. However MI is playing just like Champion though Rohit is not available too. Though MI won match good part for KXIP is Rahul's form, he is in good form now and good for them. Same case is with Sunil Narine as he also showing good performance so in deed Caribbean players are playing crucial role for each team. Hope every coming match increase excitement and also road to Playoff to be tougher & challenging.

After the MI vs KXIP match, yesterday's match between CSK and RR was also an edge of the seat thriller. Who would have thought that RR would tighten the noose on the CSK batsmen and curb the run-getting machines in their team! A good display of RR towards the end of their own innings helped them to put up a fairly good total and it was down o the wire in the last over - the over which won the game for CSK. If RR had put another ten runs at least on the board, I think the result would have been different.

There was also a bit of furor in the midst of the match when Dhoni protested at the no-ball being then declared not so by the umpires. The usually cool captain got all hot under the collar for once!

At last RCB seen good fortune with a victory in IPL 2019 against Kings XI Punjab. Virat Kohli and ABD made useful contribution in RCB Victory.
    Unknown

What Dhoni did is not a cricket culture. Thank God! He did so in IPL, but if he had done it in a game while representing India, it would have brought disrepute to the Indian cricket team.

RCB has lost once again after their first victory in IPL'19. Hope Kohli's fortune changes during the World Cup tournament!

shampasaid

Wow! MI won against RCB. Seeing the first half when a good partnership was blossoming between Ali and De Villiers, I seriously thought a high score would be forthcoming and tough for MI to reach it. But Malinga's spell spelled doom and brought a ray of hope and eventually, thanks to Hardik's heroics, too, with the bat, MI got a winning result. Looks like RCB is now out of contention for the playoffs.

SRH proved too strong for CSK. CSK score of 132 was not good enough to challenge to SRH batsmen. David Warner and Jonny Bairstow made it easy for SRH
    Unknown

MI is taking on DC today in IPL-2019. MI won the toss and chose to Bat. Can MI will succeed in overcoming the challenge of table toppers DC?
    Unknown

• Sign In to post your comments