You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Elections

A very passionate request- Please limit your political threads!

I am not against politics, nor am I against politicians. And I do agree that we, as Indians, are into the most democratic process across the world. Each one of us will be having our individual views and ideas. We might and should be entertaining our political affiliations and interests. But friends, let us remember that we are not representing any social media site. Occasional is fine, but harping on cannot be entertained here. Just keep a note. This is not a warning for individuals but is a sincere request to keep the idea behind the creation of this site intact. Hope you all will adhere to this sincere and simple request.

So, please keep this request in mind while posting anything related to Election 2019.
    "Please limit your political threads!"---------But what is the limit? Does it vary from Member to Member? That is the million-dollar question.
    'Nayak nahin; Khalnayak hoon main' (I am not the hero; I am the villain)

A timely thread by the editor. I have also contributed much on politics in various threads.

Frankly speaking, politics is the only subject where people have immense knowledge and they can go on talking about the things without an end. So if allowed, it will eat out all the available space and place in any site.

We are always tempted to talk on this subject but I think it is better to control our emotions and not to be too aggressive in this cynosure area.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Now the whole country is in the election fever. All people are talking about Parliament elections only. Whenever we meet some of our friends we also speak about politics only. That may be the reason for more threads on Politics. Otherwise, we will never have so many threads on this topic. It may be there for a few more days only. Anyhow, I hope now all the members will follow your suggestion and see that there will not be many threads on the same topic.
    drrao
    always confident

From what I can gauge, many of the current active forum participants are very much keen on discussions related to politics. With the ongoing national elections, it is not surprising, then, to see them in animated interactions on that topic! In fact, it is a healthy sign of our country's democracy as a whole that there are citizens who are expressing their opinions freely on various aspects of politics.

On the other side of the spectrum is the problem that political discussions may be curbing greater forum participation from other members who are not really keen on political-related topics at all. It is thus, as Saji implied, creating the impression of a social media platform exclusively for political debates. Are such debates keeping away members is a serious point to consider.

I would also like to point out that the presence of editors in forum discussions has drastically dwindled. Over the years, those members who took on the role of editors have spent fewer hours in the forum. The responsibilities of editing, as well as the eagerness to contribute, seems to have drastically limited their forum participation. I had also a couple of times expressed a willingness to make an effort to be more active in the forum (which I was for many years), but somehow that has not materialized. Perhaps if I and other editors also got back into the groove and come up with fresh topics as also interact wholeheartedly in forum discussions it would help to take away the focus from political-related topics.

(Partha - you need not dissect the text. It is obvious what was meant by the word 'limit'. )

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

No, it is not obvious for me. I would be interested to know the limit in terms of number.

I am absolutely in agreement with this but to the other members including me this would be irresistible if not being a part this but for sure we can limit ourselves with the number of threads separately. But I am of the view that this wouldn't be easy till 23.05.2019 & after that we all would be going to miss this.

Limit? Can we put it up to one or two? Partha (since he has been vociferous) and all others, let our discussions be fruitful to public interest and not otherwise. Simple threads pertaining to particular ideologies, whether left, right or centre will no longer be allowed as forum threads.

Members may please note.

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance' - Confucious.

Noted along with the response number (#662293). This response number will be quoted as and when found necessary in future.

It is true that all the members might not be interested in the politics and discussions related to it. So introducing a number of threads on who will win, who is better and who will lead is to be avoided.

So, discouraging a number of threads on politics is a welcome move and what I feel is definitely most of the members will like to abide with that guideline resulting in a clean forum area.

At the same time if a good contemporary political discussion as a GD is brought in by the concerned editor then we can limit the whole discussion to one particular thread post and as the GD can be stretched for quite some time there will be no difficulty for the members to contribute. If such a thing is done then naturally any redundant political thread will not be entertained by the members or in extreme cases can be locked.

Just give a thought to this idea whether we can formalise it like that.

Knowledge is power.

Partha at #662294, not for the future; only till the 2019 elections are over. Hope you understood what we need. I don't see any need to act politically. Please!

And members, do not come up with selected responses or challenges because what we have stated is an allowed policy of this site.

No life without Sun

No life without Sun

We Indians, eat cricket, sleep cricket and drink cricket and when it comes to politics we are for politics, we are made of politics and we live by politics. I think I do not have to say anything more to describe how favourite is the topic of politics to us.

I do agree with Saji Sir and it's best to limit the discussion on politics and general elections here at least for the time being. Everywhere the discussion is almost the same, whether it's on social media or public gatherings. Everybody is so much interested to know about who is going to form the next government. In the game of cricket or in any game one team wins and the other lose. Here in politics, one party loses and the other wins. But winning is not the solution, to stay in power you have to be in the right group, better to say the right coalition, and the possibility is endless. Along with endless possibilities, the discussion will also be obviously endless. Hence it's quite natural that everybody will have various opinions on the same topic.

All of you please exercise your franchise and wait for the results. There are many other things to discuss and if it becomes only politics then I am sure that the threads will be boring and repetitive. Let's make things more interesting.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Again skirmishes started….This forum is not suitable for any type of discussions……

Everyone,

Please stick to the thread's topic.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Let's stick to the topic. Without any suitable clarification, I take the limit as zero. Till the declaration of result of the 2019 election, I won't raise any political thread. If I see any political thread in the Forum section, I will protest with all my power.

The playing field must be level for all. Reference response number #662293.

Partha is right in asking what is the limit on politics. I am sure it is zero only.

As suggested by me, let ISC open a single thread with a suitable title to invite members to post their political messages and the members responses to the messages. It would solve the problem of limiting the threads for which no limit could be specified.

Dear ISC, Please do it first and hang it along with a blue pin on top of the index column.

No life without Sun

Hi, I am a new member here so I have very less have to say anything about India study channel because I have not been able to spent much time.

Here I came in this thread but very hesitating to say something I noticed in this site. I don't know shall I say or not and I don't know how member will react. It is my totaly personal feeling which may be wrong.

I have noticed in this forum and as i feel that the wensite doesn't like India's current government. Anything which has opposite or negative to say about Modi or Government, openly allowed. Same thing I can't see it when any thread comes in supportive of the Government. Even if such thread is allowed to discussion, the Forum editor is always there to oppose to it. It is not in one or 2 thread but I was going through some old thread too. So, I doubt sometimes if this India Study channel work for enti government people!

See, I am not interested to political discussion and not supporting any political party here. As a new member what I feel I post it here. So, please forgive me if I offended anyone. As a new members I think i need little more time to understand the character of this site. So, I may be totaly wrong what I said so.

Nevertheless, if this site and editor has some passionate request we must adhere to it and again we should expect that the rule should be one for all and not dor only some particular political supporter.

Politics is one of the hot topics for most regular members of the site. Most of the Indians like to share with each other about politics when they are free. Through their messages and responses so many issues of the society we can study. In politics there is always a point to discuss unlike other things. In election season it is the most interesting thing the people look at. After elections also there will be lot of things the members likes to debate. As Mr.Sun mentioned above, initiate special thread in which all the interested members in politics can debate and discuss about various election and politics issues or even ISC can leave a separate section for politics in forum.

No offense taken, Anjana. It is quite alright to have your own insightful view of our forum happenings. The site is not anti-government and it is not only forum editors who are expressing their opinions on views expressed by others about the current government. What you see are two sides - members who are going overboard in supporting the government or those going overboard in opposing the government. Thus counter-reactions to both pop up in a vociferous manner. Editors, too, as members are free to participate in any discussion. Unfortunately, some members, including editors, get a little carried away and the temperatures rise way above normal levels! As long as there is adherence to forum posting guidelines by all, it is Ok.

Ms. Anjana: "I have noticed in this forum and as i feel that the wensite doesn't like India's current government. "

Your observation is almost correct. But your observation is true for the decision-makers of this site, not for common Members. The common Members who support the good moves of the present Government are harassed and punished in various ways.

Anjana,
    You are absolutely correct….
    I tried with threads opposing and supporting the Government policies to know about the pulse. Your observation is correct. That is why members are leaving..

Vandana Ma'm, I feel relaxed by your answer thank you. I was thinking that I too should get punished or post get deleted because I criticize this site. Happy to note your statement that this site is not anti-government site like any other TV channels.

I am neither supporting any member nor opposing but my simple advice to the editors if they take it positively that they should be unbiased in taking decision the editors specially should not show openly that they like or dislikes or support or oppose members. Otherwise it will look as if they are trying to control members and their view. If supporting Government member get punished heavily, and anti government thread allowed and get supported by editors. A new member like me will think only negative about this site.

How old member or editor are you, what is your ranks it all will hide and only negative Aura will come out for this site. I think this site should think about this matter else it will look like another anti-government channel.

Thank you that you allowed me to say my point for this site.

A relevant request that has already got 14 odd responses. It is difficult for people to restrain when discussing about politics. Each have their own views, staunch party affiliations and hence become passionate to support or criticise politicians, parties and politics in general.

With the Election 2019 having hot topics likes controversies, air strike, alliances, allegations etc, this request makes sense so that forum has variety and not full of political threads. I see a thread on IPL 2019. Why not have a similar editor initiated thread. Indian elections 2019: views, policies, game changing events/people or along these lines?

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

Ms.Anjana, I feel the opinion about what you got initially regarding this site is not true. ISC is always impartial with regard to who support the government and who talk against the government. This site truly follows democratic norms with limited restrictions. Here the editors are also members like us and they also involve in the political discussions and express their own views. If you go through the old threads of the forum you can find many of the members are staunch supporters of the present government. Very few of the members oppose their views. By this, you can definitely arrive at a conclusion that this site works in a highly democratic fashion.

Members,
    The fact of the matter is - ISC fears. ISC feels that this Web site might get affected by the party whichever comes to power or retains power after the election. ISC should feel that we have the freedom of speech and liberty to express our thoughts and feelings about any party which is trying to come to power. Instead of worrying much, ISC should ensure that ISCians use decent languages without abusing or hurting any leader or the party in rule or opposition.

As suggested by Mr. Natarajan(which is also my suggestion) ISC should create a special thread to meet the purpose

No life without Sun

Ramkrishna, I may be wrong and I may be correct. Nevertheless, it will take me little more time to support anything confidently for this site.

Nothing more, I am quitting this discussion.

As few members have suggested it is best to have a common thread on Elections 2019 where interested people can share their views on different areas in the same thread, rather than starting different threads. But I think it would not be a good idea to restrict the members totally from writing any political threads. In ISC I have seen on every occasions or festivals there will be some threads coming on those topics and Elections is nothing different. It is like a major occasion in our country and it is somewhat natural for members to get prompted to write political threads.

India is a very big and diverse country. There are many issues even within a state for discussion. So, I feel that a single tread on the 2019 election can't do justice to all the burning issue which is going to have influence in the 2019 election.

My humble request to ISC Editors.

If ISC is not willing to create a common special thread for politics (Election 2019), leave us to post our messages without any limitation (As you cannot prescribe any limit). Kindly don't attempt to delete our messages. Let it live and die on its own.

No life without Sun

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.