You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have you eaten this fruit?

Do you know the fruit which is shown in the image? Have you ever eaten it and liked it? I ate it for the very first time last weekend on a trip where it was served after the meal at a homestay. I did not like this fruit at all.

(click on the image to see it in a larger size for better viewing)
    Sorry Madam, I haven't seen a fruit like this. Every fruit has its own name. Can you let us know the name of this fruit? I shall ask my relatives and friends to know the details of the fruit.
    No life without Sun

By the image, I feel it is Ramaphalam. Very Rarely available. It is like Sitaphalam. The taste will be a little sweetish. Last time when I visited Cochin I ate this fruit. After that, I never got a chance to eat the same. They are not very easily available in Hyderabad.
    drrao
    always confident

Yes, it is Ramaphalam which is otherwise known as Bullocks heart. This tree is there in our house for long back. The taste of this fruit is some what like Custard Apple. In Custard Apple, seeds will be more but flesh of the fruit is less. But in Ramaphal seeds will be less but flesh will be more. It give a very special flavor and taste. The fruits will be available in summer season. Usually this tree cannot be found more commonly and also it produces less fruits in a season.

It is Ramphal. The taste is different and very hard to describe. It is very rarely seen in North India or in Bengal.
    'Nayak nahin; Khalnayak hoon main' (I am not the hero; I am the villain)

A good information about this rare fruit. I have not seen it. Only question comes in mind is why it was not cultivated for commercial gains. Is it the taste or it does not grow so easily everywhere.

Whatever be the reason it appears to be a rare fruit in our country.

Thanks all for this new information.

Knowledge is power.

Yes, it is Ramphal. It is from the custard apple family and has the same kind of white fleshiness inside with black seeds. As I said, I did not like the taste at all. In fact, I do not like custard apple as such anyway.

Yesterday, I saw one roadside vegetable vendor selling a basket of Ramphal fruits. He was trying to pitch the sale of the fruit to a lady, saying that it was Ram Navami tomorrow (that is, today) and it was the appropriate time to buy the fruit!! I narrated this to my aunt, who informed me that she did not think the fruit had anything whatsoever connected to the mythological story of the Ramayana or its connection to Lord Ram. So does anyone know why it is called Ramphal?

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

I did some checking and found that Sitaphal had no Sanskrit reference. Historically the variety we eat came from West Indies. So some speculate this was brought to India by Portuguese, because by the time British came here they observed many custard apples. The name Sitaphal could probably mean fruit of winter because that is when the fruits ripe. Then that effectively negates this fruit's relationship with Ramayana. So neither Sitaphal nor Ramaphal is connected to any mythology. Instead Ramaphal being a relative of Sitaphal got the name as easiness for identification.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

It is nothing to do with the Ramanavami and there is no relation between this fruit and Rama, as far as I know. There are fruits called Lakshman Phal and Hanuman Phal. I have not seen Hanuman Phal. But I ate Laskman Phal.
    drrao
    always confident

Ramakrishna Kambhampati,

It is amusing to know that the fruit has got the nickname of Bullock's heart. Does it really resemble the heart of that species? Who can tell?!

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

I think its sour in taste it has something different name . Can you give all names of this fruit so I will able to judge whats this fruit actually. Its looks like orange.
    Santosh Kumar Singh
    (Sr. Microsoft Dynamics Axapta Technical,Mumbai)

I have heard about this fruit but have not seen or eaten the fruit. I first time saw the fruit in this picture. I have eaten Sitaphal which is available in Rampura almost in every mohalla or street. But this fruit is not available at my nearby areas.
    Honesty is the best policy.

I too think it is sitaphal fruit. In english, it is known as a sugar apple or custard apple. "Annona squamosa" is the botanical name for sitaphal. In Hindi it is called as 'sharifa' or 'sitaphal' in Telugu -Seetha Palam' , Tamil,-'Sita Pazham' , Malayalam,- Sitaphala' ,

Sitaphal is rich in vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, iron, niacin and good for health in all respects.

"If you don’t understand my silence, you will not understand my words"
    Unknown

Ramphal when it gets ripened it appears to be somewhat orange colored with a heart shape. The size of the fruit is very large and appears to be heart like and thus it got its name I think. The stalk of the fruit is like a branch. The fruit and leaves are known to prevent or cure cancer. You can have a glimpse of these fruits and trees of Ramphal from the youtube video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3rIQwUljEY

I have heard the name of the fruit but not seen it neither tasted.

A good information. Thanks.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Very pleased to know the existence of Ramphal while I knew only Seetapal. Some members have quoted Lakhshmanapal also. Now I feel the absence of Ravanaphal.
    No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments