You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

A very happy Bengali New Year to all

My best wishes to all in the ISC family on the occasion of Bengali New Year. It is celebrated all over the West Bengal as Poila Boisakh. Poila means 1st and Boisakh is the first month in the Bengali calendar. Though it is very hot here in Kolkata, there is no dearth in celebration of this auspicious occasion. In my childhood, we used to wear new clothes on this day and visit different shops in the locality. A few of the shops start their new accounts book, popularly known as Halkhata, on this day. If you visit those shops you will be offered a packet of sweets and a brand new Bengali Calendar. This was the usual tradition and it is still followed by many with the inclusion of some more varieties.

With a brand new year, people start working with renewed hopes and I wish all the dreams of yours which remain unfulfilled in the past will be fulfilled this time around. Keep moving and do not lose your patience.
    Yesterday was Tamil new year day and today it is Bengali new year day. In Telugu, the new year starts from Chaitra suddha Padyami. I wish all the members of ISC a happy Bengali new year day today. I hope this year will bring them much fame, health and wealth.
    drrao
    always confident

I also wish a happy new Bengali year to all the members of ISC.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

I wish all on the occasion on Bengali Naba Barsho 1426. Today, I recollect my old post on the traditional celebration of Bengali Nabo Barsho:-

Celebrating Bengali New Year: Then and now

Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

Thank you, Mr Partha, for sharing the link of your old post. Today evening, while walking down the road in our locality I found a few shops have decorated their premises and there is a gathering inside. People are having cold beverages, ice-cream and coming out with a packet of sweets and calendar. Interestingly, most of them were jewellery shops and there were hardly any other types of shops welcoming customers in this way.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Though late, I extend my greetings to the Bengali community for the New Year. Wishes, too, to all those who celebrated their New Year earlier.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Being a Bengali, I must thank everyone first for the best wishes on the Bengali New Year. Now, let me take the privilege to wish everyone on this occasion in the typical traditional Bengali way, Shubho Nobo Borsho which means happy new year. The Bengalis typically address the elders by saying to accept pronam (touching feet) on Nobo Borsho, love to the young ones, and among the same age group it's wishing Shubho Nobo Borsho.
    shampasaid

• Sign In to post your comments