You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why do we forget the hand that rocks the cradle?

I have heard the saying "the hand that rocks the cradle, rules the world". In those days, when the most ultramodern mattresses and cozy facilities for children ( is it only for the rich, even today?) were not available, it was the humble cradle, set up in most homes and the mother would rock them off and on, to keep the child happy. In summer, in those days, it used to be the worst time and infants would face a torrid time. I have seen my sister, five years younger, brought up this way. When I would rock the cradle she would cry. But when my mother would do so, she will keep quiet.

Those were the days. Though she is no more, she lives with us. All of us. All four children. Today, I read with the most distressing shock, the news of mothers ( mostly widows) being murdered over property disputes. What is going on? At least four were reported in the past year. Have men become beasts? Can't we have more sense of proportion in whatever we do? Why can't one talk and settle any issue?

What can be done to stop this madness? How can we restore sanity in human beings?
    It is a rare case that we witness. In the past, son killed father(Aurangazeb killed his father Sahjahan) Brother killed brother (Old Testament is a witness to this. sons of Adam and Eve fought each other) Wives kill their hubbies and elope with their lover boy (Everyday news we read). In this Kaliyug, there is no respect for love.

We hardly have cradles. We have automated cradles to swing with the spring. We hardly listen to the lullaby. Mothers don't sing lullaby these days. Since most of the mothers are employed, their wards are cared for by Ayahs. Thus mothers have lost their value and importance.

@ Money rules more than love, affection and care.

No life without Sun

"God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers"- Rudyard Kipling. Mathru devo bhava, we revere mother to god. How can one forget those hands which given us blood?. It would be a great crime if we forget our mother.
    "If you don’t understand my silence, you will not understand my words"
    Unknown

If we observe our culture we find that Indian culture and traditions are outstanding when it comes to respect and to honour the parents. It is unfortunate that the modernisation and westernisation has affected our thinking and the young generation is not aware of their duty towards their parents. More unfortunately, they are seeing their parents misbehaving and torturing the earlier generation and they are also learning the same thing and we are forgetting that they will also behave with us in the same way when we become old.

So this cultural shift is slowly engulfing the Indian society and we are hearing all sort of pathetic happenings and incidents regarding the behaviour with parents.

That is one reason why so many old age homes are emerging in the outskirts of the major cities and towns and their occupancy is increasing day by day.

Knowledge is power.

It is not only the repaying of our childhood debts or things like that but also as a human being it is our duty to take care of our old parents.

I think we must educate our children in this regard and showcase our serving behaviour in front of them so that they also underdstand that it is a family pride to do so.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

There are many things which say that it is our duty to take care of our old parents. In fact not alone parents if there are old people in the house we should take care of them. It is human. When we are on a road and see an old person asking for some donation, we can't stop our hand going into the pocket for taking out the purse. This is the way we should behave. When you are kind enough to help an outsider why not those people because whom you are like this today.
    This behaviour we have to adapt and convey and train our kids in the same way. Today how we treat our father will teach our children how they have to treat us. This should be kept in our mind and we have to see that the concept of combined family will flourish so that we will have a good time in our old age also.

drrao
    always confident

It is the love from parents that they sweea in hot temperature to give comfort to their children. They face difficulties only because the male sure children should feel safe and comfortable. Parents put themselves in trouble to save the children from facing any difficulty. It is childhood when our parents take the necessary care and comfort for children.
    But do children respect their parents and provide care and comfort equally just as they did in our childhood, a big no! Mostly children have lost the guts to serve parents and they send them either to old age homes or throw them out of their homes from where these parents have cared and provided support when these children were completely dependent. The insanity that we see these days from children towards shows injudicious and pitiful situation of parents.
    We can't say nay to our parents even if they are wrong. We can't hurt them. They have cared for us and we should comfort them support them just as they did in our childhood.
    So, be respectful towards parents and say humble words to them.
    "Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or more attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor. And out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say, "my Lord! bestow on them Thy Mercy, even as they cherished me in childhood." (Quran 17: 23-24)

• Sign In to post your comments