You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How dangerous is this snack item?

A snack item named Aarisa Aariselu(sweet snack item) if you eat this snack item it will revert the 6 months disease. In Telugu ''Aarisa thente aaru neellala rogam thiragabeduthundi". Have you ever read this proverb or have you ever eaten this sweet snack item?. Knowledgeable members, please respond to the question.

It is like saying "If you drink Nectar, you will live long." Since it is a Telugu snack and the proverb in Telugu, I do not know much about it and all ISCians cannot comment except the Telugu speaking members.
    No life without Sun

#663353 Have you ever eaten this Snack before? In google search I came to know that it is Odisha snack item. Adhirasam in Tamil Nadu.
    Wants are like horses as a rider we need to use the horse halter wisely in order to reach our desired destination safely-- Bhushan

Bhushan,
    I could not get your " if you eat this snack item it will retain(keep back) the 6 months disease." rightly. Can you translate your Telugu proverb into English?

Adhirasam is a lovely item that I like. My tongue will never say ' enough' to Adhirasam. It is simply made of raw rice flour and gud (sarkara pahu), and fried in oil. It can be preserved for a long period than any other dish.

No life without Sun

No I have not eaten it ever. I was googling it and found its' til gud pitha' in Hindi. Its looking delicious in the picture.
    Sanjeev

" We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    – Abraham Lincoln

This proverb is common in Telugu. My father used to tell this many times and he never allows any of us to eat that even today. They say this sweet is very ill health prone and if you have any disease sic months before and cured with medicines may attack you back if you eat that now. For example, if somebody suffered from Typhoid six months back and got it cured. Now he will be normal. But by any chance, if he eats this item now again he will be attacked by same typhoid.
    This sweet will be made in Andhra Pradesh during marriages and other functions. When a child starts walking for the first time the family will distribute this item to the friends and relatives.
    I eat this sweet once in a while and the taste is good and we have to eat a little quantity and in such a case it may not create any problem.

drrao
    always confident

@Sun see #663364 Now you understand it...
    Wants are like horses as a rider we need to use the horse halter wisely in order to reach our desired destination safely-- Bhushan

Bhusan and Rao from Telugu land is getting confused with Athirasam I think. It may not be Aadhirasam, may be something else that Bhusan quoted it as Adhirasam. Adhirasam is a fine snack item can be consumed at any part of time. We never suffered with any six-month-old ailment after eating Adhirasam. Not only Adhirasam, any sweet item, if over consumed, it will rake up an old disease or create a new disease. Therefore, don't blame Adhirasam.

You both are misguiding the Adhirasam lovers.

What I now understand is - As Adhirasam is a long preservable snack, and if it is preserved for more than six months and eaten, it could create problem.

No life without Sun

This snack is Ariselu. It is a very famous snack in A.P. and T.S. It is mainly made during Sankranthi or Pongal (farmers festival) festival in the month of January. It is made with the flour of new rice, new jaggery, sesame seeds. It is a very tasty sweet snack which provides a lot of heat energy in the winter season. As farmers get new rice at that time this snack is mostly prepared at that time by people. But there is a belief in people a diseased person cannot eat such a snack which is made out of new rice which is not good for digestion. People believe that such people if they eat at that time the disease may revert.

This sweet is immensely greasy. Given the way it is made. And we all know that greasy items trap microbes better. Actually sugar is anti microbial because it can absorb moisture. But this grease on an arisa or adhirsam makes its surface very unhygenic. The problem it, it is too greasy to be packaged properly. So there is no way of countering the microbial attack.
    And if you are prone to diseases already, then this fresh batch of microbes will weaken your body again, making the previous disease return.
    That is my understanding. I've never heard the saying in Telangana. This dish has a lot of prominence in Telugu and Tamil culture as we are the rice bowls of India.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Arisulu and Adhirasam are one and the same thing. I first had them at a friend's place when I was in school. I mistook them for 'Bajrae ki Tikki', as the appearance, taste and texture were pretty similar. Adhirasam/Arisulu have a slightly moist centre, whereas BKT is drier.

I eventually learnt to make them when we were posted in Visakhapatnam. It is quite a laborious process, but worth the effort. Like most Indian sweets, this too uses a lot of ghee, but the recipe calls for jaggery, instead of sugar. I like the taste of them and make them at least once, in the cooler months.

@Aditya – Fats, sugar and salt are used in food, as preservatives. Pickles are drenched in oil to keep them from getting spoilt. Most fats have a long shelf-life, they do not attract microbes. Ghee and most oils stay good for a year, in normal conditions.

I haven't heard of the myth about the sweet.

“Those who can really do what they promise don't first pause to promise what they can do.” - Bill Willingham

Here is an image of the adhirasams that I had made at home, a few months back.
    “Those who can really do what they promise don't first pause to promise what they can do.” - Bill Willingham

Delete Attachment

This snack is a very delicious item. In Tamil Nadu, it is called adirasam and is even sold afresh in big outlets like Grand Sweets and Snacks, Chennai. Am told A2B also sells it. It is not dangerous to the health at all. Thanks for the nice pictures, Madam. Across many communities, people do it during Pongal time. South of Madurai, people make it in their homes as often as once a week. It is a very good snack. Recipe of all such snacks is now available in YouTube, in Tamil. I do not know about other languages.

@Juana, talking about how all the oil/ghee took to prepare it starts spreading out of the sweet and stick to the packaging, the sweet will remain naked at its surface. This would be ideal for the bacterial growth though.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

A lot of information about this particular snack item. I was not knowing about it. Thanks to all the contributors submitting details and myths about this unique item.
    Knowledge is power.

I was aware about this as long back some telugu friends told it to me but I have never tasted it. We make simar items with wheat flour, jaggery, til and other nuts etc but I think what makes the difference in the taste is rice flour.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments