You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

How about starting more industry-cum-college complexes?

In our country, we are having standalone educational institutions to a large extent with few instances of Industry oriented institutions. Suppose we start new Education Institutions with Industry too attached to them to run, it will be helpful to society at large. These complexes, in addition to providing skilled education, will also produce goods and generate employment. So can we ponder over this model?
    Industries look for skilled manpower. The Engineering students lack practical experience on the subjects they study in their curriculum. No doubt Engineering colleges have their own laboratories. But the training in the lab do not provide the students with practical training and orientation to the profession. The students also visit Industries for project work and internship training , but the period is very short and the exposure is not sufficient.

Medical colleges have attached Hospitals for the training of the students. Similarly Engineering collages also plan for attaching their students to some industries for the practical training. This will provide them better exposure and increase their employability.

"If you don’t understand my silence, you will not understand my words"
    Unknown

It is a good idea to link the industry with the educational institute so that the students can have hands on practice for the practical side of our academic pursuits. Skill development is a crucial and most important thing and somehow we are missing this factor in our present educational system. The modalities of how the industry is to be integrated with education is to be worked out by the eminent planners and educationist but it is definitely a requirement of the modern times that there should be a positive and skill generating nexus between these two entities. A student who has learned the skills of business and trade will have a higher level of confidence while discharging his work and duties in any organisation. This idea is definitely going to benefit the students as well as the industry that they will get people who are already exposed to the basics of industrial working system and environment.
    Knowledge is power.

It sounds good education and employment in one place. But I feel the logistics would be a nightmare to implement it widely across our nation. Firstly, infrastructure and finance needed to start such industries. Secondly, most education firms are well established in terms of generating revenue, they may all not be interested in starting industries or may not have the expertise.

In my view, what we can consider is a radical change in which the institutions function. Each institution that takes in a candidate for UG or PG education should also be made to make a commitment to (i) ensure that fixed percentage of their own students (based on performance) be absorbed in the same institution. (ii) ensure that another set number of students can get jobs via the institution networking ( i am not referring to campus recruitment). (iii) the institutions and well established companies can start more internships that would give the fresh graduate some earnings and also a chance to have experience in their CVs. (iv) the rich institutions can invest in the related public sector and in return get some employment slots for their own students.

It is what many people say about industry-university participation and collaboration between the industry and the educational institutes. The educational institutes should produce the graduates or postgraduates useful to the industry. These days we say there are no jobs and unemployment problem. But many industries are looking for skilled people to work in their industry. The Engineers that are coming out of Universities are not having the required skills. So it is a good idea to make the education more useful to the industry so that their employability will increase.
    A hospital will be associated with every medical college and the students will be given coaching by experienced doctors and they will be shown the actual patients in the hospital and how they are treating them. This is more like an on the job training. If the same policy is introduced for Engineering colleges also the students will get benefitted very much.

drrao
    always confident

A very good idea by the author and I think industries must come forward and take the necessary initiative to implement this model. Let the industries have a say on the syllabi and in that case, there will be a revision of the syllabi according to the industry needs. There must be a balance between what students learn and what the industry requires. This gap is wide and hence many technical graduates face problems in getting jobs.

Our learning system is mainly based on studying books and writing the answers in the examination. The thrust must be on practical oriented learning and the industry-cum-college model is a good one in that aspect. Education cannot be a business establishment, as we see nowadays in many cases, but has to be inclusive where learning, training and employment should be taken into account very seriously.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

In some of the above replies, hospitals by institutions have been quoted. There is an important difference here. As far as medical colleges are concerned, it is mandatory to have a fully functional hospital with patients from the MBBS onwards up to the housesurgeon stage and for PG studies. Here the institutions running the medical college do not have much choice, either have their own or enter into a tie-up with established hospitals. In other sectors, I don't think it is mandatory to have a running industry unit to be eligible to have students.

In the debate above though mostly we are in agreement the necessity for Industrial exposure during studies, employ-ability issues and skill set improvement issues broadly. The point where we differ is the modalities of working this out.
    Let me begin here. As rightly pointed out by Natarajan Engineering, Humanities and Basic sciences Institutions differ fundamentally from Medical Institutes in various ways. It it not only Mandatory but it is also feasible to have colleges cum hospitals. Mostly by Medical courses here we mean MBBS and related higher studies. In this cases every thing is related to one and other. They deal with one and the same thing. Welfare of human health broadly. So a professor can work as doctor as also be a student. The evolution of the field since ancient days is such that minimal difference is seen been theory and practice and textbook procedures to the minutest details are analysed, updated as it deals with life. But in case of other courses there at least 8-10 courses in a college and we cannot start Industry for each and every course. We have to see the other way around only.
    At the same time we cannot belittle the importance of Industry academic integration at a greater level. We see Institutes like IISER, IISC, Institutes run by Armed forces, IITs to some extent (Industry sponsored candidates) where students are part and parcel of the Job they are going to perform. It also gives an enhanced interest for students as they are assured that this is the field they are going to work and focus more on it unlike in standalone Institutes where students study in a field but work in another field for survival.
    One good Suggestion as given by Sankalan Bhatacharya is the Industries coming forward and setting up syllabus course and Institutes for specialized and Industry linked studies. we have ample example of them in our country like Petroleum Institutes run by Reliance, Manipal Institute of Banking etc.. I think we must ponder upon this Idea and may be even change laws and polices towards setting up of such Institutes.
    Here I am not against standalone educational colleges. If a student genuinely wants to change his career then he must be encouraged. We can see the great example of former RBI Governor Rajan as a good example. My only suggestion is the Industry linked colleges ratio must be increased enormously. The logistics issues raised by Natarajan seems to not outweigh the benefits associated. An Industry can get the skilled Man power it needs which is very difficult these days. Also need based colleges can be built instead of mushrooming of colleges without even intake in many cases. Let us discuss further to refine the Idea.

This is a good thought and if implemented it could bring paradigm shifts in our education scenario. Amalgamation of industry with education is the need of the hour.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

It is a fact that around one million Engineering and Management graduates are coming out every year and only one third of them are employable due to lack of skills required for the Industry. I think, we cannot simply blame our education system. Education experts/Universities/Economists/social scientists etc don't know the Industry's skill requirements. We all know that major IT companies such as Infosys, CTS, Wipro, etc recruit students from the campuses and train them to suit to their work, wasting their time and resources. Instead of giving them training after recruiting, why don't they provide their requirements and syllabuses to these colleges, so that these colleges can train the students to suit to the companies requirements?

Actually, the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) and Federation of Indian Chambers and Commerce (FICCI), both can play a bigger role in this case. They know the requirements of Industries very well. They should liaise with/interact with Universities and other institutions so that necessary changes can be bought-in in the syllabuses and make the curriculum more practical, interesting and job oriented. Each Industry is looking for multi skilled people with multi-tasking capabilities. So, extra training and certification is required. According to me, no need to start more industry cum college complexes. We need to bring Industry and Universities closer .CII and FICCI can bring them together. Additionally, Governments Skill India should collaborate vigorously with PSUs and other Private organizations

• Sign In to post your comments