You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

I did a crime. I accept

Please refer to the following thread.
    https://www.indiastudychannel.com/forum/164482-Look-what-I-discovered.aspx
    I accept that I did a crime. I will not call it as a mistake also. I don't want to say how it happened and what I did and all that.

It is a crime committed by me and I pray ISC to excuse. I assure that In future this sort of issues will not be there from me. I might have placed this in the same thread. But as that particular thread was locked I am making this as a separate thread.
    Bravo, Dr Rao! At least, you showed courage to own up to your mistake/crime. I really appreciate it.
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

Mr Rao,
    Good that you accepted your mistake as a crime and assured that it won't be repeated. It was not a serious crime, but an intentional mistake, I think.

No life without Sun

I appreciate Mr. Srinivasa Rao for showing repentance for what he did. I wish the matter may be rested here and steps may be taken by the ISC to see that such things do not happen in the future.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

I don't think this is such a serious case. I think this is solely the fault of the concerned Editor. He/She failed to check the answers minutely. Now, what is happening? Everybody is trying to hide the fault of the Editor.

The concerned Editor must be reprimanded for his/her fault.

This is my personal opinion.

'Nayak nahin; Khalnayak hoon main' (I am not the hero; I am the villain)

Sometimes these things happen by mistake or knowingly but we have to see it in a holistic approach whether a person has copied the whole paragraphs or only a line here and there. Of course even one line can be considered as an offence but seeing the total contribution of the member and his open acceptance to avoid it in future which is the biggest thing and we must consider it in that perspective. I appreciate Dr Rao for his openness and courage in the matter and there is nothing like humbleness and meek attitudes in our life. To err is human to forgive is divine.
    Knowledge is power.

I, 100% agree with Mr Partha for his post #664662

Great to see a frank and honest acknowledgment of an error of judgment or mistake for Dr.Rao. With respect to Mr.Partha's reply: I feel that the editor is not solely at fault. The responsibility lies equally between the service provider and the service user. What this issue has brought out is the existence of a loophole in the system which would be closed by ISC. I agree with Mr. KVRR, that we should consider this issue closed and move on.

Partha,

Dont try to derail the thread. Dr Rao bravely admitted and let us leave it there only. Editor's mistake can be discussed in another thread!

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

No, I am not trying to derail the thread. I have noted that Dr. Rao has accepted his fault. Now the next question is when would the insincere Editor (who did not perform his/her task sincerely) admit his/her fault?

I was the one who made the discovery and alerted the admins. I was forthright in my approach then and I'll maintain the same frankness in my response now. An apology has come and it was expected, considering posting restrictions have likely been imposed.

I am pragmatic and will make no bones about my views. The posting restrictions will not be removed without a confession of wrongdoing and an assurance that there will be no repetition of the same. In the past too there have been members who apologised and pleaded that their posting rights be restored. There is nothing different about this particular episode because let's face it, there is a lot at stake. The posting restriction in that particular section is not time-bound; it will not go away on its own. An apology is the first step towards making it happen. Call me sceptical, but there's truth in my words.

Partha, I agree the editor(s) are to be blamed as well, they were lax. But that does not change what happened. Their dereliction of duty cannot be cited as an excuse; whatever happened to integrity and conscience?

O, what a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive!
    -Sir Walter Scott

There is no deliberate fault at Editor's side. They had checked it and missed it to locate whether it is copied or not. It happens when large sum of contents are to checked. If they notice it later, they will remove copied contents. In fact, they are going to notice it one day. If trusted and established member posts copied contents suddenly, it is deliberate act to earn some money. But it is not a crime as he said.
    Jeba.

I appreciate Dr Rao for accepting his mistake. But that's an intentional mistake as Dr Rao knows it that it's not allowed on the site. Then I feel that there are many members who have done it in the past and the punishment which it gives is a restriction from that particular section which is done then it's fine.

Coming to Partha's point I agree editor has a responsibility to check plagiarism which he or she failed to do so. A small Punishment should also be given to him or her.

Sanjeev

" We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    – Abraham Lincoln

Mr.Rao has committed the act knowingly. He admitted his fault, showed repentance for what he did and assured that no such thing will happen in the future. The question of reprimanding the editor does not arise as it is between the ISC and the editor. They will do whatever necessary among themselves. Here the member is at fault and the editor is not at fault. It is very difficult for the editor to check plagiarism unless pointed out by some other member. I wish this thread may be closed and let ISC do what they want.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

"The question of reprimanding the editor does not arise as it is between the ISC and the editor."-------------Juana Madam has quoted several instances of lapse. No instances could be found where the Editor takes necessary action against plagiarised content. In fact, more points have been given for bigger answers, whereas point-by-point answers have been neglected.

Reprimanding the concerned Editor is necessary so that such mistake on his/her part is not repeated in the future.

Jebaprincy,
    Your response doesn't go down well. I worked with the same content and look at the results I got. To now blame it entirely on the member is not right. I have a hunch that your claim will be backed by the admin, but the fact remains that the content was not checked properly. This was not a one-off incident, that can be passed off as a failure of some online feature. There is tons of copied content that was missed. Nothing raised a red flag!

And, how do you explain the other errors that I highlighted, in my other posts? Surely, those cannot be blamed on the failure of some online tool.

O, what a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive!
    -Sir Walter Scott

#664677: The tone & tenor of the comment smacks of ARROGANCE. This is not at all desirable.

A simple thread has been turned into a battleground once again!

Dr. Rao committed ( now a mistake) knowingly. It was intentional.
    We do not know how many such mistakes were committed in the past.
    Few have come to the light by Juana's search light operation.
    Editors are at fault for not finding this mistake. They failed miserably.
    Partha is right with his response blaming the editors.
    EditorJebaprincy siding the editors is not appreciated.
    Having no other escape route, Mr. Rao admitted the fact, and assured no repetition.
    Let us put an end to this and move forward without any further mistakes of such nature.

No life without Sun

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.