You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is it conceivable that unused medicines can be reused?

As we see the used papers, plastics, polythene covers, metals and the garments all are recycled for reusing them. In the same way, can the expired medicines and unused medicines can be recycled for using them again. Is this possible? As a Study on unused medicines, It is estimated that as much as £300million is wasted every year on unused or partially used medication. Is it possible that unused medicines or expiry date medicines can be recycled? your valuable thoughts on this...
    Yes. Many medicines are getting wasted like this. We purchase a strip but we use only a few and the remaining will be there in the box. After some time we will see the expiry date and then we will discard them as waste. Some people put them in water and use that water for Plantation. I don't know whether this is correct or not.

If it is a single chemical we can revalidate and use that chemical for other purposes. Many of the laboratories having NABL certification has to declare the shelf life of the chemicals they use and they have to get it revalidated for extending the shelf life in another laboratory which is having NABL certification.

But all medicines are not single chemicals. They are all mixtures of more than one chemical. So for recycling, we have to first separate them which is very cumbersome. I don't know how far it is feasible. We have to see the differences in their solubilities and we have to use different solvents and separate them. All this requires elaborated procedures and infrastructure.

drrao
    always confident

Yes sad about wasting medicines,

First of all, Reduce the Number of Unwanted Medications in my Home, This can be done by
    1. Purchasing only as much as you need & as prescribed by your Doctor.
    2. Arrange all medications in one place away from children and pets. This may help to limit over-purchasing.
    3. In order to preserve the quality of your tablets, store them at the proper temperature as recommended on the label.
    4. Don't take Sample medications from relatives which are for free, when you are not using it.

I am glad to know this fact from one of my friends about the uses of expired medicines at home,

Most of the gardeners have a wrong thinking that plant grows well only if they use very expensive manure and you see people buying expensive bags of manure from organic shops when they could easily prepare from the household things to fertilize their plants.

Before you go to buy expensive manure, just stop and think. What great organic ingredient does it offer you? Don't you have them in your kitchen and home? Think clearly and the answer will be 'Yes'. A list of things can be used & prepare your own manure at home at lower prices.

1. In your garden, you can directly make a hole & put a tablet in it & close, They serve as good nutrients to plants
    2. Most of us have some a huge box of emergency medicines, vitamins and other tablets in our medical box which got expired, Put all tablets in a big container, Kitchen wastes like Coffee/Tea grounds, Rice Water, Waste vegetables, Used Tea Leaves or Bags add water and let it be aside for 2days. Mix them thoroughly and dry it. Which can be used as good manure for your plants & garden.

Depending upon the ingredients of a medicine it can be used for some purpose if it can be collected in large quantities and that purpose is clear known and has the permission of the drug and commodity authorities. There is always a danger of these falling in the hands of bad elements who can misuse them. A good infrastructure is the essential and basic thing for managing such uses after the expiry date. It is not an easy task to monitor and manage these things as a detailed knowledge base and involvement of the pharmaceutical industries is required in this pursuit of using the medicines after their expiry. The idea is good but implementation is a distant dream.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

I read how gardeners could use these expired tablets and syrups. But these are always organic compounds which can react with the cells of your plant. So is it really recommended? Not all of these generic medicines have nutritional values. Some painkillers and gastro medicines have nothing to offer as nutrition to plants. These are compounds. Some are polymers. So it's hard for plants to absorb them in first place. So I would think a several times before attempting this.
    I don't see any use of expired medicines in their original form, as they lack vitality. But they can be used in aesthetics. Capsules of the tablets you get can be put to use in arts and crafts. Syrups can always be used for creative purposes. Hard pills can be used to create works of art. Using them for art is better than ingesting them.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

There are a lot of rules, regulations and licensing which govern the area of drugs and medicines. Putting the expired medicines to some other use is not a child's play. It may have some chemicals which might be hazardous and harmful for the adults as well as dangerous to the children and any mistake in their other use will be very costly endeavour. The idea is good but it will call for a totally new regime and regulatory mechanism to restrict it for certain other usage and a lot of care is required to see that it does not fall in the hands of the miscreants who can use it for any shabby purpose. We have to create a large infrastructure for collection of these expired drugs and then send them to a place where these chemical are assigned a new role for some use in some industry.
    Knowledge is power.

I would say that it is possible till this remains within the boundary walls of a factory premises but when received at the customer's end then this would become impossible to think on such jobs of recycling or extending of the expiry lots.

• Sign In to post your comments