If it is a single chemical we can revalidate and use that chemical for other purposes. Many of the laboratories having NABL certification has to declare the shelf life of the chemicals they use and they have to get it revalidated for extending the shelf life in another laboratory which is having NABL certification.
But all medicines are not single chemicals. They are all mixtures of more than one chemical. So for recycling, we have to first separate them which is very cumbersome. I don't know how far it is feasible. We have to see the differences in their solubilities and we have to use different solvents and separate them. All this requires elaborated procedures and infrastructure.
First of all, Reduce the Number of Unwanted Medications in my Home, This can be done by
1. Purchasing only as much as you need & as prescribed by your Doctor.
2. Arrange all medications in one place away from children and pets. This may help to limit over-purchasing.
3. In order to preserve the quality of your tablets, store them at the proper temperature as recommended on the label.
4. Don't take Sample medications from relatives which are for free, when you are not using it.
I am glad to know this fact from one of my friends about the uses of expired medicines at home,
Most of the gardeners have a wrong thinking that plant grows well only if they use very expensive manure and you see people buying expensive bags of manure from organic shops when they could easily prepare from the household things to fertilize their plants.
Before you go to buy expensive manure, just stop and think. What great organic ingredient does it offer you? Don't you have them in your kitchen and home? Think clearly and the answer will be 'Yes'. A list of things can be used & prepare your own manure at home at lower prices.
1. In your garden, you can directly make a hole & put a tablet in it & close, They serve as good nutrients to plants
2. Most of us have some a huge box of emergency medicines, vitamins and other tablets in our medical box which got expired, Put all tablets in a big container, Kitchen wastes like Coffee/Tea grounds, Rice Water, Waste vegetables, Used Tea Leaves or Bags add water and let it be aside for 2days. Mix them thoroughly and dry it. Which can be used as good manure for your plants & garden.
Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.
I don't see any use of expired medicines in their original form, as they lack vitality. But they can be used in aesthetics. Capsules of the tablets you get can be put to use in arts and crafts. Syrups can always be used for creative purposes. Hard pills can be used to create works of art. Using them for art is better than ingesting them.
The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.
Knowledge is power.