You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Coimbatore is my choice for the most livable city in India

Coimbatore, the second largest city of Tamil Nadu, is my Choice for the most livable city in India. It has superb weather for around ten months in a year. It is influenced by the Kerala monsoon. It is one city that has overcome its water problem through innovative rainwater harvesting efforts. The involvement of the public in saving the famous Ukkadam lake was fabulous with the actor Kamal Hassan also giving a helping hand.

Excellent schools and colleges made it a fabulous educational hub. The presence of hospitals such as Kovai Medical Centre, Ramakrishna, Kuppuswami Memorial Hospital and the Ganga Hospital has made it a haven for world-class medical facilities and for medical tourism as well. Ooty, the queen of hill stations, is just a two hours drive from here.

Coimbatore has an excellent engineering base and is heavily industrialized. The buses ply to nook and corner of the city and this is possibly the only city that has pucca roads connecting it to over three hundred villages. No wonder a huge number of international schools and small scale industries are spring up in these areas. One can find the spirit of entrepreneurship only here. Thousands of Gujarathis referred to as "Seth" in Tamil, have made it their home for over seventy years. Coimbatore is home to at least three world-class engineering colleges, the PSG Institute of Technology, The Coimbatore Institute of Technology and the Government College of Technology. Of late, a huge number of M.Tech courses are also available. The Karunya University, The Karpagam University, Avinashilingam University for Women are three deemed Universities that are very famous. There are at least ten more very good self-financing colleges.

One can find the best of vegetarian and non-vegetarian food. The gated communities are multiplying day after day. Corporate executives are now happily setting down in this city. Coimbatore has excellent air, road and rail connectivity to all parts of India. The people are very respectful of fellow human beings. This is one city where it is difficult to find beggars!!

It is also one of the cleanest cities of India. Choose Coimbatore for happy living. If you want to develop entrepreneurial ideas, visit this city. You will find plenty of them. For example, organic food restaurants are multiplying day after day.

Welcome to Coimbatore, my choice for the most livable city of India.

This is my entry for the "choice" tow contest.
    Coimbatore is one of the best cities I have seen in India. The city improved a lot in the recent past. Now there is a good airport in the city and all major cities are connected to this place by Air. There is a direct flight from Hyderabad also.
    The city is emerging as a mechanical engineering industry hub. There are many industries in this area. There are good employment chances in these industries for engineers who want to work in their core area. There are good institutions and many students come to this place for doing Polytechnic and engineering.
    The cost of living is not very high and there are good hotels and restaurants which are not very costly and within the reasonable limits only.
    The author has shown in liking for this city in some of his earlier posts also. Now he has shown his choice of staying in this city. A good write up from the author.

drrao
    always confident

I have not seen it but I have heard about it and now you are confirming those good things in this post. I also read that many people are settling there and the realty sector is in quite an active pace of development in coimbatore.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Ms. Bhatt, yes it is true. It is a superb city. It is one city where you can enjoy your life with just Rs25000 as monthly income. The suburbs are still very reasonable for monthly rent. It is a paradise for good food. Of course, I know only about vegetarian food. But my numerous friends would also boast about high quality non vegetarian food. The International Airport is being extended and when the DMK comes back to power, it will positively start the Metro rail project here. Population in the heart of the core city is 20 lakh but goes up to 36 lakh if the suburbs are included. It is very sad that millions of uneducated and untrained youth from the Hindi belt flock to this city and are exploited for lower wages. Yet, these souls would rather settle down here itself. The climate is superb. One must go to just get an idea of the beauty of the city. It is surrounded by Pollachi where so many Hindi movies are shot and Ooty, merely two hours away. Three are three five star hotels now. Another fifteen three and four star hotels cater to the business traffic. It has direct trains to Bangalore, Chennai, Howrah, New Delhi, Mumbai and everywhere in India. It is superbly spread out. All areas are zooming in terms of growth. The flats and apartments are very costly only in the core city centre. Move a little away and they are very reasonable. It is home to the famous Maruthamalai Murugan temple. You can see Lord Muruga and also get a superb view of this mini metropolis. Just go there once and you would be tempted to just settle down there. Coimbatore welcomes one and all. If you want to do any business, there are so many hundreds of people who will give you ideas. There are over 3000 manufacturers of Mixies and wet grinder machines in this city!! Exports are zooming day after day.

No doubt, Coimbatore is the second largest city after Chennai in Tamil Nadu.It is known as Engineering and Textile city of India. It is growing in natural way only. No concerted efforts are being taken by the leading political parties in Tamil Nadu such as the DMK and AIADMK to develop the city, Coimbatore. The growth of this city is found to be abysmally low. The corrupt DMK and AIADMK never thought of developing this city. There is acute shortage of drinking water. Many areas are getting drinking water once in ten days only. Water table of this city went dangerously low. It seems nobody in the authority cared. The Avinashi water project was proposed 62 years before to cater to the drinking water/irrigation demands of the people of this region and replenishing of ground water never took off. I came to know last week that the current ruling party AIADMK started the process of awarding this tender. Sorry to say that transportation sector also, no much developments taking place. Even, in Kochi (Kerala), with a population of 20 lakhs, already started metro rail services, the politicians of TN not even thinking of high speed rail services in Coimbatore. The author of this thread is saying that he is feeling sad that people from North are coming there and working for low wages. I would like to say here that people should shred regionalism first and think nationalism. Again sorry to say that the corrupt politicians instigating the farmers of the Tamil Nadu to stop/sabotage the ONGC/GAIL pipeline projects. What about Coimbatore/Salem/Chennai industrial corridor??..God knows!

Am afraid Mr Neeraj has got everything wrong. Please go through official statistics. Coimbatore is ranked among the fastest growing cities in India. It was only the AIADMK Government that neglected the growth of this city. Not the DMK. It was only due to DMK that many infrastructure projects took off in Coimbatore. Mr. Neeraj is totally off the track as far as water position is concerned. Only Siruvani water is given once a week. There is the Athikadavu scheme already implemented in many parts. The local bodies also supply what is called " salt water" which is used for all purposes except drinking. And regarding North Indians. Everyone likes to work in Coimbatore and everyone is welcome. Where is the question of religionalism? Am only saying that they should be paid same wages. Please do go and check all the facts.

The water problem is not at all severe. The flats and apartments have their own sources. The Siruvani water is the sweetest water in India. Mr. Neeraj, kindly do not come up with wrong data. Coimbatore has both public sector Government buses and private sector buses that ply everywhere. The city is growing by leaps and bounds, irrespective of Government support.

Yes, it is true that the most corrupt AIADMK Government has not taken sufficient steps to develop this city. Wait till the DMK sweeps the Assembly elections. Coimbatore will grow even further. Sai Baaba colony, R.S. Puram, Ramanathapuram, and so on are fully developed and highly livable localities.

And Mr. Neeraj, for your kind information, even IT professionals from Bangalore and Mumbai are investing in flats and apartments here. The number of educated North Indians who happily settle down in this city is increasing day after day. Please do go and check all the facts. Coimbatore 's airport when expanded will have flights to even Germany. The private sector lobby is very active. Am the first to encourage people settling all over India. Except for its horrible climate even Chennai is home to a huge IT crowd. They even like to settle down in the OMR area. However, the same people nowadays prefer Coimbatore. Am only totally against exploitation of labor. I strongly oppose the NEEM scheme. The trainees are paid low wages after the initial training in regular jobs. This is going on happily throughout India.

Please go through official data. You can get all facts.

Coimbatore, Erode and Salem are highly developed industrial places. These cities are growing because of the service sector too. We do not want any development that destroy 's nature. We are opposed to the Salem to Chennai Highway project as it will destroy water sources and superb agriculture spread over thousands of acres of fertile land. Let growth be sustainable development.

The existing water schemes in this region are only makeshift arrangements. If serious draughts come everything will collapse. You are saying that I am off the track regarding water positions. Then why the Government is opening the 62 year old tender now?!
    You are saying that IT professionals from Bangalore and Mumbai are investing in flats and apartments here and that indicate the growth of the city. I will say that the growth of Coimbatore should be in such a way that average professional working here will be able to invest in Bangalore and Mumbai real estate. Growth of the city indicates the financial growth of the people live there.
    I am not in a position to agree with you that Coimbatore is fast developing city.I suggest you to have visit at Delhi-Mumbai Industrial corridor(DMIC),just see how things are moving there. The high tech industrial zone spread across several states.
    We also have a Coimbatore-Chennai industrial corridor. I don't know its current status.

Coimbatore is coming up as a good hub for educational and residential complexes. It is developing fast in many dimensions. Many people are selecting it as a place to settle after their retirement from active work life. Coimbatore is becoming a place to enjoy in the weekends and people around the nearby town are visiting here in the holidays. Another thing about Coimbatore is that some old age home are coming up here and becoming popular. I hope Coimbatore will emerge as a big metropolis soon.
    Knowledge is power.

Mr Neeraj, whatever development is there for a city of over thirty lakh population, including suburbs, is already there. Please go through records of development of different cities. The Ukkadam lake was saved by common people. A movement called Siruthuli, meaning small drops in Tamil has done excellent work in Coimbatore. We do not want destructive development at the cost of agriculture. Coimbatore has very high educational standards. The IT investment is also growing.People store water when it is given. The salt water is just about ok even to have a bath, as it is mixed with the pure water of Athikadavu or Siruvani. Settling down in Mumbai or New Delhi is a matter of choice. I have only highlighted the growing importance of Coimbatore, as it is receiving investment from all over India. You are of course, entitled to your views. I hate labor exploitation. If NEEM scheme does not even give PF to the individual, am opposed to it as a former HR professional. Am still active, advising small Managements. Am aghast at labor exploitation everywhere. A human being is a human being. That is all. You just cannot deny exploitation of the hapless Hindi souls. I can only feel pity for them.

We are very proud of this lovely city. Of course, I repeat, you can have your own views. Am all for sustainable development. Not for brutal industrial development at the cost of agriculture. The Capital of AP is coming up on thousands of acres of the most beautiful and cultivable land. Am shocked how this is possible. This is simply atrocious. Go and check what atrocities GAIL projects have done to fertile agriculture. We will never allow that.

Mr Neeraj, whatever development is there for a city of over thirty lakh population, including suburbs, is already there. Please go through records of development of different cities. The Ukkadam lake was saved by common people. A movement called Siruthuli, meaning small drops in Tamil has done excellent work in Coimbatore. We do not want destructive development at the cost of agriculture. Coimbatore has very high educational standards. The IT investment is also growing.People store water when it is given. The salt water is just about ok even to have a bath, as it is mixed with the pure water of Athikadavu or Siruvani. Settling down in Mumbai or New Delhi is a matter of choice. I have only highlighted the growing importance of Coimbatore, as it is receiving investment from all over India. You are of course, entitled to your views. I hate labor exploitation. If NEEM scheme does not even give PF to the individual, am opposed to it as a former HR professional. Am still active, advising small Managements. Am aghast at labor exploitation everywhere. A human being is a human being. That is all. You just cannot deny exploitation of the hapless Hindi souls. I can only feel pity for them.

We are very proud of this lovely city. Of course, I repeat, you can have your own views. Am all for sustainable development. Not for brutal industrial development at the cost of agriculture. The Capital of AP is coming up on thousands of acres of the most beautiful and cultivable land. Am shocked how this is possible. This is simply atrocious. Go and check what atrocities GAIL projects have done to fertile agriculture. We will never allow that.

The tender is for supplying 24 hours water to every household by combining all sources of water, including the salt water. There is terrific opposition, as the cost of water will increase by leaps and bounds in the form of water tax. What will happen remains to be seen. When real estate grows in the Metro cities, it is not a big deal. The tier 2 cities like Coimbatore are the real hopes for the future.

I can only agree with your last sentence that Tier 2 cities are the real hope for the future, not the only hope but one of the hopes!
    The latest update is that Rs 1800 Crores Avinashi project is about to kick start. Nobody can stop this job now. This project is to be completed within two years and can solve the water scarcity in the entire region.
    Also, it is wrong to say that the GAIL project has done atrocities. "Right of user" agreement has already obtained by the state Government from the villagers. The state Government is not opposed to this project also. Then, how these objections are coming from those villagers now? The politicians with vested interests have created this problem. That was only an election jumla. Tamil Nadu needs electricity. The demand is increasing year by year. So the GAIL project should happen at any cost.

I have heard a lot about Coimbatore but have not been there in life. My ex-boss was from Salem and he used to appreciate the city. He worked in a monoblock and submersible pump industry. He had a vast experience of the same as there are a lot of industries of the same mainly sharp and venture. He never liked to live in north India as he didn't like the culture.

It's interesting to know that the person who earns 25k per month can easily live in the city otherwise to live in a city when you have a low salary is not easy as everything is costly.

Sanjeev

" We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    – Abraham Lincoln

Things are much cheaper when compared to Bangalore and even Chennai. There are wholesale markets where the vegetables and fruits are available aplenty. For example, there are so many shops under the Pazhamudhir Choolai brand. This brand is a Rs300 crores brand. Many do not know that the Corporate Chicken company, called Suguna Chicken is based out of Coimbatore. The turnover is over Rs 4500 crores. Transport cost is very less as it is very easy to move from end of the city to another. For example, there is one developing called Podanur Chettipalayam. There are decent independent houses available for just Rs7000 per month. These are three bedroom hall and kitchen houses. If one takes a monthly bus pass for Rs1000, the rest of expenses will be around Rs.6000 for a family of four. So, one has still another Rs11000 out of which school education might take away another Rs3000. Very good play schools charge only Rs8000 per annum. So, the monthly expenses will be around Rs20,000 and Rs 5000 can be saved. If the wife is also employed living becomes a great pleasure.

Great to hear about the City Coimbatore. Looks like it is a future Chennai in the making. What I feel is the beauty of the tier 2 cities is spoilt when it is transformed into a metro. The true residents and passionate people like the author should have heritage groups that try and preserve the history of a city like Coimbatore before rapid urbanization makes it a concrete jungle.
    On a different note, the author has some valuable first-hand information and experience about Coimbatore. It would make a lovely article.

Natarajan Sir. Thank you. I have lived in this city for quite a while. It is totally different. I have mentioned a few points in one or two articles of mine too. The entrepreneurs are so agile and they get across to all parts of India. A vast majority speak Hindi very well. The three night trains to Chennai, that is the Allepey exp, Nilgris express and the Cheran exp are always full. The prestigious Kovai and the intercity expresses are always jam packed. The thousands engaged in trading have made the city what it is. The shopping malls are simply fabulous. Just go across to Avinashi Road and ask for Kovai Medical Centre hospital. Opposite the hospital is a fabulous restaurant called Ananda's. Enjoy the breakfast here. The lingering taste will take you automatically there. Hundreds of buses from Gandhipuram take you there. Mr. Neeraj and others should also note that the private Omni buses to all parts of Tamil Nadu, many locations in Kerala and Karnataka are aplenty. These are deluxe sleeper buses. The Coimbatore lobby is fighting for more trains. We will soon get them. Coimbatore is a joy forever.

Excellent sir. Please make a nice informative article, for instance Coimbatore: A guide for first time visitors or something along the lines, it would be very useful to people considering to visit, intend to work etc in this city.

Sir shall soon do so.

• Sign In to post your comments