You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread is the Winner of the Topic based monthly TOW contest for the month of may'19 on topic "Choice"
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Accepting life - not making it a choice

Without hesitation, Tammana jumped. Arms spread wide, as though she was going to fly, calmly awaiting the inevitable.

With a jerk, the thick rope attached to the elastic cords tied firmly around her ankles pulled her back up. She yo-yoed for a while. Then, finally hauled back up, the safety cords removed, she took a deep breath. So this is what it would feel like, the next day. The venue, the date and time had been fixed. But it would be different. There would be no cords then, no rope to haul her back, nobody around.

Reaching for her backpack on the bike, she pulled out her phone and called the counsellor whose number had been given to her by her caring, discerning friend. She would get through this phase. She had made her choice. She chose life.

Epilogue: Should life be a choice, a selection between two things? Respect life. Don't treat it like an option.

(This is an entry for the TOW topic-based contest on choice.)
    Seriously, It all gone over my head, I could not understand what the actual message is in this write up. I am sorry, but I have to be frank. The write up should not be as hidden nor it open, it should be understand by even normal member like me. If not, what is the use then.

Anjana,

It's quite alright, nothing to feel sorry about and express frankness. Since this is a contest entry, it is not right for me to explain.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

When we use more and more phrases and want to present something in its actual locale, excitement and adrenal rush, such pieces of writing emerge and it is the way a language and its literature evolve. When I first time read works of Edgar Allan Poe, I could not understand the head and tail of many of those stories but when I re-read them later, some of them became clearer but some are still a mystery to me. So, there is nothing unusual in such write ups. Many of us also try to depict in our writings the things in their actual form to create deep and impressive effects in the minds of readers though I am still in the learning phase of it. This is the relentless pursuit of writing which many of us are following in our writing endeavours.
    Knowledge is power.

Anjana, I appreciate your pointed and intelligent remark and wish all the best for the budding writer inside you. I reiterate that many literary piece I do not understand much (including poetry) but it does not mean they do not exist. They are there in their own glory and we are also taking bath in that scattered light. Yes, modern art is one such area where imagination is above the reality but if there are people who can appreciate it and pay for it then it is a commercial avenue and if an artist can get money for his or her work, it is welcome. The field of creativity has no boundary.

Continue posting in ISC. It is a palace where one can sharpen ones skills in writing.

Knowledge is power.

It's good that she chose life at last. People should respect life who knows when the next time we get the birth of a human being. No doubt sometimes we get too much disturbed and upset from life but to take such extreme decision is not good. We should think twice before actually doing it because there are many other people in our life who are attached to us and we should not leave them crying for our deed. It's coward who thinks of committing suicide. A brave person faces life boldly and merges as a winner with the time.
    Sanjeev

" We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    – Abraham Lincoln

A brilliantly conceptualised piece; I'll call it an intelligent piece of writing. It weaves together two analogous yet drastically unrelated situations – adrenaline rush and agonised contemplation – to serve a powerful message.
    'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

Making a choice between the deadly adventure and meaningful life may not be easier for an adventure loving person. Still opting for life with live and energetic vibrations is a good choice and shows the final inclination of the person.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

It was not our choice when we 'came' into this world, so, neither it should be our choice as to when we 'leave' this world.
    A wonderful write-up about choice using a scenario of people with suicidal tendencies. It is unfair or even cowardly to contemplate suicide even at the toughest of times. We have help at hand to tide over this crisis and lead our lives till the natural end comes. So, yes choose to respect your life and the lives of others.

Suicide is not a cowardly act. Death is something that people are fearful of, and even the thought of death is looked upon as a bad omen. Anyone who contemplates suicide probably goes through severe emotional and psychological trauma, perhaps physical too. Taking one's life is not a cowardly act People do it because they are depressed - it's in reaction to their mental health. Even the law doesn't look at suicide (attempted) as a crime.

Help is available, but not everyone has access to that help. Most often the family fails to notice the suicidal tendency in a person. How then can we expect the person going through the trauma and depression to recognise the signs and seek help?

There was a discussion on this topic a few years back and I had expressed the same views then too.

'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

In life, we have control over limited things, so our choice is also limited. We can only have choices on things which we can fully control. Suppose, if somebody wants to go to point B from point A there may be different routes to reach there and the person will choose the route according to her/his convenience. You can choose the route, but cannot say how the journey is going to be. People do everything under the sun to enhance the experience of their lives. Not to live may become the ultimate choice if the person is hopeless, helpless and find her/himself worthless. In that case, consulting with the mental health care professional is a must. A wonderful message is given through this excellent write-up.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Even though there is a choice for us we should not resort to the choice of ending our lives abruptly. We should live our life till the last moment. When birth is not your choice, you should choose death also. Adventures and thrilling acts may give us some pleasure and they should within the limits and it should not go to the extent of abruptly ending our lives. A very well written write up.
    drrao
    always confident

At a stage where everything has gone weird with us, many get a mind block where ending life feels easy then living. It actually the wrong step but when mind is overtaken by your thought & everything seems still, Many turn to ending their life but if able to get a little motivation or say something that is attached to them comes in front of them which will give them the purpose to live, then done. They will never ever think of taking that drastic decision. But a very well scripted post with a positive end.
    “Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments