You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

S Jaishankar - The new Foreign Minister

Among the various persons who were appointed as ministers in the 2nd NDA government, the most eye-catching is perhaps the appointment of Mr S Jaishankar as the Minister of External Affairs. Jaishankar was a former Foreign Secretary who played a massive role in handling China's threats during the Doklam Crisis. His astute knowledge of foreign affairs will definitely come in handy as the new government has massive tasks on its hands in the realm of foreign affairs including how to handle USA's 'trade war' (which has gripped India as well) and how to handle the brewing crisis between Iran and the West. It would also be interesting to see how India's policy towards Pakistan would be shaped during Jaishankar's tenure.
    The appointment of S. Jaishankar as Foreign Minister is a great thing that Mr Modi has done. It shows his concern for a meritorious and hard working person. This will work as a motivation for other senior people in the Govt.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

I think it is a very good selection. In the absence of Senior leader like Sushma Swaraj who handled the foreign affairs very well, appointing Mr Jaishankar as External Affairs Minister is an excellent idea. Yesterday when I saw his name in the list of ministers I thought he will be given this ministry only. The same thing happened. I think, definitely, Jaishankar will handle this portfolio very aptly and continue the good works initiated by Sushma previously.
    The coming five years are very crucial for India to emerge as a strong force and should be able to get recognition as a developed country. For this external affairs are very important. So the vast experience he had will come in handy for Modi in handling the situations.

drrao
    always confident

I didn't even know that S. Jaishankar has joined BJP! It is a very pleasant surprise. He has been chosen as the next EAM. No doubt, this is an apt choice. His predecessor, Ms. Sushma Swaraj, also did a wonderful job, but I think she has been left out due to health reasons.
    'Nayak nahin; Khalnayak hoon main' (I am not the hero; I am the villain)

The appointment of Mr Jaishankar as Foreign Minister is a great act of wisdom by the PM and it has shown that performance matters. This will give a positive signal to all the high level people in Govt Machinery who never have dreamt such a thing. There is no doubt that Mr Jaishankar has a very sound knowledge of working of the foreign ministry and he was instrumental in many excellent negotiations in that area. This will also send a signal to the developed countries that India is choosing the highly qualified academic people also in its cabinet as is prevalent in those countries.
    Knowledge is power.

It is a big surprise by Prime Minister to consider a former MEA secreatary in cabinet and award with External Affairs Ministry in place of Sushma Swaraj. Although, we will miss Sushma Ji for her kind and wonderful performance and active role on twitter as well.
    S Jaishankar is an IFS officer from the batch of 1977. He has done Master in Arts and has also done MPhil and PhD in International Relations from Jawaharlal National University (JNU). He was MEA Secreatary in Govt. of India for 2015 to 2018.
    He had played very vital role in resolving the Doklam Issue with China. He happens to be expert in matters of foreign relations with America, Russia and China.
    Prime Minister Modi knows him since 2012 when during his visit to China as a Gujarat Chief Minister and now PM have applied his art of applying the personalities at the right places by appointing Mr. S Jaishankar as new External Affairs Minister.

"Words are precious, ought to be used wisely." - Umang Shah

• Sign In to post your comments