You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

One Second - and our daily life

All of us sometimes in our daily life utter this "One Second" word more often than any other words. If you are on call and some one wants to talk to you, you say to her/him - Just One Second! or Please wait one second.

In most of our conversation or discussion we say - One Second. But, do we finish our work in "One Second"? For me the moment you say One second, the second is gone!

We know it very well that we can't complete it in one second, yet we continue saying - Just one second. Isn't it funny?
    It is a figure of speech, used as an interjection and has nothing to do with the seconds and minutes ticking on the clock.
    'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

Yes, it is funny and it reflects generally how casual we are! Seconds become minutes and minutes turn into hours, we forget some one is still waiting for' That Second'! Second can be short for one soul and too long for the one in need!!!

I think it is just common practice to say one second or one moment. But it is not that it is exactly a time duration. Sometimes we will become late, we say we will be there in 5 minutes. But that five minutes may be more. This is just a habit only.
    drrao
    always confident

We all know its use for speech and has nothing to do with time. That is why I have posted the thread to look at other side of funny opinion. The forum needs some light and fresh air too, not just discussions on current topics.

[Edited.]

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

deleted

This is really funny and interesting that we use these words so often without bothering for their literal meanings. Using 'in a second' or 'in a minute' are quite common in this reference though I have heard people often using 'five minutes' also. Long back when I was in active service, some of us (including my friends) decided that we will use affirmative time spans rather than these phrases or idiomatic expressions. So, we were avoiding using 'second' or 'minute' and instead tried to give the exact time gap as per our estimation. What we did was that if a friend asked me after how much time I would be coming to the canteen, I used to tell a figure like six minutes or seven minutes or twelve minutes as per my expectation and avoided the figures like one minute or five minute or ten minutes which carry deceptive meanings. We enjoyed doing that. Still today with my senior citizen friends in my locality sometimes we tell time in that form bringing a genuine smile on their faces.
    Knowledge is power.

In the North, Delhi in particular, distance is measured in time. Ask an auto guy or a friend how far a place is and they are sure to respond with 'paanch minute' or something similar. So used was I to this typical practice that I never found it odd. I hadn't noticed this peculiarity until my husband pointed it out to me, during our courting days. He had found it quite strange that distances were measured in time.

In fact, whenever we visit relatives in Delhi and are being driven around someone almost always mentions that a place is just 'dus minute away', and my hubby and I exchange glances and smile.

'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

Members are requested to discuss the topic of the thread instead of straying into irrelevant areas.
    [Edited.]

'Chickens don't praise their own soup'. - Martinican

We use these words most of the time but do not mean anything by them. So they are just a figure of speech only. They are there in every society and language. People use them just like that without conveying any meaning out of them. It is interesting to note that language has certain phrases like that which are so common but do not mean what they say.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Just a second! Let me recollect. Yes, now I remember that this interesting phenomenon of using the term 'One Second' during our conversation was noticed by one of my friends when I was in Grade 6. He described something very interesting about his reaction to the usage of the term. Once he telephoned one of his relatives and somebody else answered the call. The person who answered the call told him to wait for a second so that his relative can come from the other room to talk to him. My friend waited for a moment, I am sure it was more than a second and disconnected the call. On being asked by the relative, later on, he said that according to the condition he waited for more than a second and then only disconnected. That's a really funny incident.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

It is just an acknowledgement and caring to please others. A second is too short. Generally, it is 'Just a minute please'. It is equivalent to 'Just wait for a while'. 60 seconds is too much of a time for anything.
    No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments