You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Should residential areas in major cities bring in the concept of weekly fair?

People who have visited villages or expanding townships would be familiar with the concept of the weekly fair. Here we get the local produce, groceries, foodcarts that sell local dishes, local coffee, tea or drinks, some games for children. This encourages people to interact more. It brings in the sense of pride about the local region, it's delicacies and above all, the individual small scale entrepreneur gets his/her dues. A farmer selling his vegetables, someone selling farm chicken, eggs, a local foodbrand selling dosas,vadas etc.

I have been to a couple of large fairs in the city wherein everything is huge and on a large scale, people have to travel some distance to reach it. But if we can replicate it in the local neighbourhood, then we can have at least one day wherein people will forget the supermarket, shopping malls, branded stuff. Also by this we would be contributing to the local economy and boost the growth of local vendors.
    It is a good concept. In the united Andhra Pradesh during the governance of Chandrababu Naidu as CM, the concept of Rythu Bazar started. Weekly once this fair will be organised. All the local farmers will bring their products to this market and people go and purchase there. Still in both the Telugu States this concept is in practice. In Hyderabad also in each area, there will be Rythu Bazar on a fixed day in a week. Initially, only vegetables were sold in these shops. But slowly other items also started coming. In our area, we will have this Rythu Bazar on every Saturday. All most all families will go there and purchase their weekly requirements. On that day we will see all the people in that area. One or two from each family will go and purchase the items. Even rice also sold in these markets.
    Like this, if other states also follow this system we can avoid intermediate persons and the profit will go directly to the producer. No middlemen are required.

drrao
    always confident

It would be nice to have a local market for a day every week. We can term them as of Monday market, Tuesday market, Friday market, Sunday market etc. The vendors will move from place to place on a day to day basis to sell their products. We can forget about malls and markets located at a distance. The items would be fresh, especially the vegetables. The rates would be cheaper. The residents can save their time.

The place where I stay has a Friday Market. My mother's village has a Monday Market.

No life without Sun

It is a good idea and is useful for the residents. In our society, once in a week one vegetable vendor comes and remains here throughout the day. This is very useful for us as there are all the varieties of vegetables and fruits at the same price as outside are available and throughout the day and an atmosphere of fair is seen in the ground floor area. We can have other vendors like this on other days so that other items are also available at door step.
    Knowledge is power.

They had something on these lines in Visakhapatnam, and I believe it was all over Andhra Pradesh. It was (is) called Rythu Bazaar. Local farmers and those from neighbouring places would bring their produce and sell it at dedicated spots. The Rythu Bazaar near my place was at a walking distance and held twice a week, in the mornings on Sunday and in the evenings on Wednesday. Apart from farmers we also had fisher folk selling fish and other seafood. They also sold spices and grains.

The prices were dirt cheap. In fact, Vizag is the cheapest city that I have lived in. Money had value there and this was between 1997-2004.

State Transport buses were employed to transport the farmers from their villages to the bazaars, free of cost. It was a great initiative. I remember buying a full stalk of banana with nearly a hundred small bananas for a mere Rs.20, and Rs.100 worth of fish, crabs and prawns would fill up the freezer in my refrigerator. Coconut brooms were 2 for Rs.5.

'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

Such markets were also held in Delhi and NOIDA, maybe they still are. You could shop for various goods from fruits and vegetables and other groceries to clothes, linen, toys and handicraft items etc. Bangles and other knickknacks, cane furniture and shoes and pirated cassettes were also sold.

I have seen similar but a more refined version of such bazaars in the open spaces of big shopping malls. The items sold are either organically grown produce or classy handicraft items from different states. The prices though are invariably high and you are never sure of the quality of the products.

'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

• Sign In to post your comments