You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Save Environment by becoming vegetarian.

As per one report as on 31st December, 2018, there is 600% increase in vegetarians in the world and 350% increase in vegetarians in England. There are few reasons why people are becoming vegetarian.
    First reason is that compare to non-vegetarian, a vegetarian consumes less fat and therefore problem of heavy weight and fatness is more in non-vegetarians than vegetarians.
    Second reason is that medical science has proved that 50 grams of meat if consumed everyday increases chances of lung cancer by 18%.
    Third reason is green house effect and global warming. People who consume non-veg requires more land and water than people consuming veg. People eating beef are consuming 160 times more land and water and gas than vegetarians. Today, around 85 crores of people are sleeping hungrily and on the other hand, for non-vegetarians, the grains like corn wheat ,of the enough quantity to feed around 80 crores of people for 365 days, is being feed to cows and chickens and goats which is 70% of total production of oats. Even, as per the estimation of American Ecologist David Pimentel, if these amount of grains are exported, it can earn turnover of 80 billion dollars every year.
    The one more important thing is consumption of water to avail non-veg food and veg food.
    To avail daily non-veg food, it consumes 15,800 litre of water.
    When on the one side, world is facing serious water crisis, here let's understand how becoming vegetarian can help us save water and environment by understanding volume of consumption of water as follow:
    For 1 kg. potatoes: 500 litre of water,
    1 kg wheat: 900 litre water,
    1 kg rice: 1912 litre water,
    1 kg Soyabean: 2000 litre water,
    1 kg chicken: 3500 litre water,
    1 kg beef: 1,00,000 litre water.
    We can understand that by becoming vegetarian, we may save huge amount of water and land. It can also help feed more people with same quantity of water and land.
    If we put simple calculation, if we may need 1 acre of land to feed vegetarian, we may need 19.5 acres of land to feed a non-vegetarian.
    Please note one thing that 40% of total grain produced is used for feeding cow, goats, chicken etc. to avail non-veg food but if non-vegetarians become vegetarian, the same amount of grain can be diverted to feed hungry people.
    A good post by the author with many details about the difference between vegetarian food and non-vegeterain food. We are observing these days the number of vegetarians is increasing. This is mainly due to the proper understanding of the advantages of vegetarian food. The health of a vegetarian will be much better than a non-vegetarian. This was advertised more and many people are accepting this. In India, the nonvegetarians will not take nonvegetarian food every day. They may take the same for one or two times a week. This is mainly due to the cost of nonvegetarian food.
    drrao
    always confident

Excellent set of data about the logistics of vegetarian vs non-vegetarian food production. Instead of also saying yes, I'll present a different view. We should always take western data with a pinch of salt when we implement it in India.

When it comes to India, I think we need to consider a few important points. Indians, in general, are not large volume meat eaters like their Western counterparts ( I'm not referring to the percentage of people who are vegetarians vs non-vegetarians). Most of Indians would have a mixed diet. With regards to the quality and the level of adulteration levels of food procured in India would be higher than the Western countries; the implications of both these on health need to be thought about. India has a large amount of population with Vitamin deficiencies that include Vit B12 also. Lastly, people would want to exercise their right of choice.

The efforts to educate can be presented to people and then gradually see how things change.

I thank the author for this detailed post with facts and figures on vegetarians vs non-vegetarians and its effect on the environment. It's true that many people are turning into vegetarians because of its many health benefits. Though we cannot expect that everybody will become a vegetarian very soon, the statistics are very encouraging. Everybody wants to lead a healthy life and if it is found that by being a vegetarian people can be free of many diseases then ultimately it will become a trend to turn into a vegetarian.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Dear members, there was a typing mistake in my thread earlier where in 3rd paragraph, i have had typed 50 kg instead of 50 grams. I thank our caring members to draw my attention and also words of appreciations, that means a lot to me.
    "Words are precious, ought to be used wisely." - Umang Shah

An excellent and elaborate post supported by a lot of data on vegetarian versus non vegetarian food. Before the inception of agriculture humans were meat eating species. There was no choice. Only when the agricultural developments took place, slowly some people started to become vegetarian.

Now worldwide the vegeterian percentage is increasing due to medical awareness and other social considerations. People are having proud in telling that they are vegeterian.

Incidentally your post has inspired me to suggest that you could, when you get time, convert it in a beautiful article in much more detailed format and publish here. Just give a thought to it.

Knowledge is power.

Good post.

But don't you think what will happen if everyone becomes a vegetarian. From where the food will come for the whole population. What will happen when there is no good vegetation in the season? What will happen to the people of the countries where there is less agriculture or no land for agriculture? These are also the fact one should consider. Maybe because of non-vegetarians our ecosystem is getting balanced.

Sanjeev

" We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    – Abraham Lincoln

Umesh ji,
    Thank you for your suggestion to write an article on this subject. I will surely write an article in future to promote vegetarian culture as i am very concerned about killing of innocent animals and birds and also its impact on our environment.

Sanjeev ji,
    Many people have raised the same concern as you have raised that there will be shortage of food if everyone will become vegetarian but believe me, the scientific research have concluded that this estimation that there will be shortage of food is completely wrong perception and actual results would be opposite of what you and some other people are contending with some mathematical estimations.
    Here is how there won't be shortage of food if everyone become vegetarian.
    Today, around 40% of the grains produced is used in feeding the cows, goats, chickens in order to avail food for non-vegetarians. Now, these same amount of food if used for feeding people who will become vegetarian, there will be food in excess of what the demand would be. Also because to produce grain for vegetarians takes less amount of land than to avail non-veg food, there will be more amount of land than what amount of demand is required.
    I'll write a well structured detailed article soon where I'll be able to address your contention as well.

A thought provoking post by the author. The animal lovers will definitely like it. Those who are turning to Vegan diets will also be happy with this call. I also feel that vegetarian diet is good and sufficient for our health and physical growth. So there is no point in unnecessarily going for the mutton, chicken and other non vegetarian foods.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Not happy with the point but the presentation is good. All have their own taste & if you say becoming vegetarian will help Land, Water & Diseases - Noooooooooo.
    Life is a cycle & all are placed & balanced accordingly, Any rise in one thing will bring in its effect in some or the other way.
    How can we say that the vegetables that we eat are pure & good. Now a days, due to over use of fertilisers & chemicals even the vegetables, Fruits, Milk, etc. are more risky than the non-veg.
    These are just some point to put forward.
    Let everyone enjoy their own choice & live peacefully.

“Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

• Sign In to post your comments