You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

In search of the Italian salon

At last, I found it! Of course not without the help of a few local people. Members, the Italian salon is here in India only and if you wish you can search it in Google to find its exact location. Wait! You may have already found the address of that Italian salon but don't visit there until you finish reading this thread.

In the bylanes of Kolkata and its suburbs, you will find barbers sitting under a tree by placing the mirror to its trunk and cutting the hairs of the clients. It's a good one where you will get the fresh air, never mind the bird droppings, and the barber will continuously chat with you to keep you in good humour. Even you can find barbers there standing in front of an electric post by fixing a mirror on it and doing their jobs.

Many years ago, I went to visit one of my relatives staying in the outskirts of Kolkata. There I liked the hairstyle of his little son and asked him from where he got his hair cut. He replied with a big smile that it was the Italian salon inside the market. I went to the market in the evening and started looking for that Italian hairdresser. I searched for a while but never found such a shop there. I asked a few local people they couldn't help. After some time again I asked a group of young men and they started laughing at me and explained it. In Bengali, the brick is called 'It' (pronounced like that). They told me a barber sits under a tree there and the customers sit on a few bricks arranged like a stack. Since the customers sit on bricks ('it' in Bengali) the salon became an Italian one. Well, at that time the Italian salon was not open, otherwise, I could have tried a haircut there.
    A thread on a lighter vein, how the names and meanings can be changed by word of mouth. One truth of the matter is that many Indian establishments have a penchant for foreign names for dishes, shops and even apartments. One can be surprised when they actually reach the place in person.

Good. How the meanings will change if we don't know the local language and think that it is an English word.
    My wife's cousin was staying in Jhansi. She was brought up in a village and she knows only Telugu. But as his husband was a railway employee and he was posted in Jhansi, she has to move there. When her husband was in the office, some guests from the other quartes came there. She opened the door and invited them inside by saying "Randi".
    "Randi" is a Telugu word which means Please Come. Immediately they got angry and left. This lady was not able to understand what happened. She was very worried. In the evening the same people cane again after her husband came and complained that his wife insulted them by calling them "Randi". Then he explained that the whole situation and told them the meaning of that word in Telugu. Then they got onto laughter and said sorry to her.
    This type of incidents will happen sometimes.

drrao
    always confident

This is a well-known joke among Bengalis. When I was posted in a village, I used to visit Italian salon regularly.
    'Nayak nahin; Khalnayak hoon main' (I am not the hero; I am the villain)

A good joke to keep the lighter side of you intact.

We find many such situations as we have many languages. The good word in one language can be a bad word in other but people need to understand. Many a times we may feel awkward while speaking our tongue, where others will be staring at you.
    In India, it's a trend of keeping or following other nations. We tend to name our shops, children or even follow their culture. It is always good to keep up with our roots.
    I remember the noted joke of bengali " Pondra pondra pochis ( 15 + 15 = 25)"

“Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

It is really funny and hilarious to link the word Italian to such a road side hair cutting saloon. It is the funny ways the words are entangled in the local language and become popular in the area and people use it so commonly.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

When I read the thread title, I wondered that there could be a five-star salon named 'Italian salon'. After reading the summary inside the thread, I really laughed on knowing the details of Italian salon. Nice post.
    No life without Sun

Very interesting post by the author. The name Italian brings many queries in the mind but the post reveals it in a hilarious way. I remember that when I was a kid there was no barber in our village. One barber used to come once in a week and used to keep his things near a house wall and hanged the mirror and asked a stool or moda from the household and then did the hair cutting. I got hair cut from him a few times before we shifted to the nearby town.

I did not know that time that it was an Italian haircut!

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments