You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Living in the present moment may be the best way to keep away tensions

If I tell you to keep yourself free from tension, you may say it is not possible to live without tensions. In fact, many will say the same thing. You can say that it can be reduced but cannot be completely removed. Day in and day out people are trying to find ways to manage tensions. Actually, our life has become such hectic that we remain worried all the time and since this worry increases our mental pressure we try to find ways to reduce it. If we try to think logically it will be found that we worry too much on things which are beyond our control at the moment or we start worrying on things where we have no role to play.

Take the case of a student who is going to write an important exam after three months. All the day she/he may be thinking of the outcome of the result of the exam and the possible aftereffects if she/he is not successful in the exam. Many will find this natural but the interesting part is the student is more worried about what is going to happen in future rather than paying attention to complete the studies. Take the example of a person waiting anxiously for his relative to arrive at his home. His relative is visiting the place for the first time, though he got the address and all possible directions that he needs to follow to reach the destination. The person is so anxious at his home that he constantly calling his relative to know where he reached and whether he is following the correct route. Just think of it! Can the person sitting at home do anything if his relative follows a different route than the one described by him? Then why worry? Let him choose his route and if there is any problem he will surely give a call. Or, take the case of a person whose sleep is disturbed because whenever he goes to bed a particular incident that happened long ago crops up in his mind.

These are only three examples and there are many more where you will find that mostly we are thinking a lot on either what has already happened or what is going to happen after some time. Don't you think that staying at the present moment is the best way to keep away tensions?
    Do what you have to do know? Don't worry and don't think whether you can complete the work in time or not. Do what is to be performed by you just now as planned by you. We are all having multiple tasks on hand. But we can't do all works at a time. You should do one work at one time. When you plan your works, you plan time wise and do what you have planned for that moment. Without doing that if start worrying about what will happen if I am not able to complete the work, some more time will get wasted in this bargain and finally you will find yourself lost in the game. A cricketer when he is playing a ball in the game will think about that ball only not about the next ball. Because if he gets out of that ball, there is no next ball to him in that game. The same philosophy will work well for all of us in all our works.
    drrao
    always confident

In short, the author is asking to practice mindfulness. It is an art to live in the present rather than dwelling in the past, or spending endless hours thinking about the unpredictable future. It's really sad to know that we either keep thinking about our past when we know for sure that we can't go back and change the things or else keep worrying about the future when we know what the future will bring for us cannot be predicted.

We can only live in the present. We need to make the most of it. However, we don't do that and ruin the current moment. Once we learn to live in the present, we automatically will bid goodbye to most of our worries and stress. Life will become much easier to live.

A good post by the author. It is very true that we should focus in the present and avoid wandering of our mind here and there or postmortoming the past things.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

I think it is easier said than done. The suggestions by the author are something we all strive to follow, for our own good, but seldom succeed. In my opinion, we can stop worrying about a particular thing only if we are able to engage ourselves in some thought or activity that can divert our mind. But even in that case, I doubt whether we can relieve ourselves completely from the issue that is bothering us. The level may go down and we may feel a bit more comfortable but the thought lingers. And that, I think, what worrying is all about. There is a saying in Malayalam which goes on to say that when we are expecting someone, whoever comes in will appear to us to be the person we are expecting. There are, of course, people who don't take things seriously and go the way suggested by the author but the majority would find it difficult. So, the options would be either not to bother about anything and leave everything to fate or to keep worrying though you can do nothing about it. One's basic character might have to do something with this but even then the general tendency, whether one expresses it or not, seems to be otherwise.
    “It is better to change an opinion than to persist in the wrong one." – Socrates

Good post from the writer but seldom can be practice. It is good to practice of living in the present but we often carry the burden of past & future with us major of the time. Everyone say, we need to leave it aside, i.e. Leave the past, enjoy the present & wait for the future but its not the case. Our mind which doesn't want a visa for arrival, wander to each & every part except the one that makes us happy. It brings in so much things from its journey that it adds on our thinking & takes the peace from us.
    It is good it we learn the art of living in the present as the writer mentioned & all should practice or take time to learn. We have many courses, motivation & spiritual classes, even counselors who can help us learn the art but have we ever tried. We all want to vive in present & we all know that it is not easy but can be achieved but how many give it a try. Even me, the one who is writing this long reply have never attempted.
    We are often good in speaking, the so called " Bol bachan" but hardly practice. Not to blame the doctors who consult the patients and advise their patients to exercise regularly but have you seen that doctor, fat & stout. So where are we heading? We are only good in giving our views but bad in practicing our own medicine. Hope it can be practiced which will help in having a peace of mind.

“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

Diverting the mind from worries and apprehension is the biggest challenge in our life and the mind goes on speculating things and the results of actions continuously. To stop thinking of past and future and align the mental energies in present is not an easy task but with practice and control one can achieve it. Focussing mind in the present job is the key to mental peace as well as to seek success in the stipulated task. Those who can focus in present and can concentrate in the jobs in hand are the people who generally excel in their lives. A mediocre will always be engaged in petty matters pertaining to past or unknown events expected in future. It is very true and I agree that we should mentally and consciously live in our present.
    Knowledge is power.

Time is the healer. As the time goes we tend to forget the past. But despite this some incidences bad memories in our life relapse again and again and cause tension and agony in our life. There is therapy called neuro linguistic programming. We can practice this therapy and get remedy for such problems. Whenever bad memories come to our mind always try remember any happy event or incidence in your life. The incidence like where you have won an award, your first job, etc. This will help us to erase the bad memories from our mind.
    "If you don't understand my silence, you will not understand my words"
    Unknown

It's true, but how far possible is a questionable matter. To bother is a human instinct which could be more in some people while some may have a little less. Once we learn to control our instinct and emotion, then all of us will become monks.

The suggestions given in the thread are positive ones, but it is difficult to follow because the heart always overpowers our mind. Another point is that our everyday life is so problematic nowadays, people are overburdened in many ways which never allows them to unwind. If our present is happy, then minor issues will not bother us. Regarding the example of a student, I would say peer pressure, parents' expectation and constant instructions from teachers, family and neighbours compel students to worry about their result. Thus, it's a good thought for people to stay in their present moment to keep away tension, but very hard to follow.

shampasaid

A very good and useful post to live peacefully. I would to share something here. A one get tensed when expecting something to happen or missed to achieve something or by listening to other's words. Tension is a famous word that is very often used by little children to great elders. It's a kind of expression to acquaint one's feeling. Why do we get tensed? Everyone has problems in their life, but it varies. You might observe this, when your friend has a problem may you provide a better solution to it. But you may look tensed to handle your problem or could be failing to search a solution due to nervousness. This is just because you haven't set the problems at a distance to see all possibilities clearly to find a better solution. Just like an object when it is closer to your eyes, unable to view the other angles, but when it is at a distance it is possible to view all angles.
    When you are rushing for your day to day life activities, may get tensed if you are struck at a traffic/if you miss your bus. This may lead to severe consequences at times. Stop hearing an opinion about you from people around you to avoid tension. It is good to hear from others to improve our self, but it's better to leave when it turns stressful. I remember one thing always when I get trouble in life. Do you have problems in life? No – Then why worry. Yes – Can you something to solve it? Yes – then why worry. No – then why worry.
    No one here without problem/tension. Remember, problems present in the queue. Comes one after the other or together. Completing one and facing the other in all stages is a real life. Today's tension will turn fun tomorrow. Stay happy always to extend lifespan.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.