You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Music

Music plagiarism- copied at its best

Plagiarism in music is not new. We have heard much news about a song or music being copied by another music directors and takes the full credits for that song. During early days, it was difficult to catch Music plagiarism but due to technology and the internet at hand, even minor plagiarism can be caught.

Earlier, music directors use to copy the music of foreign languages which many of us were not familiar with. Many renowned music directors have copied others and show-cased as their own. We know, copying and inspiration have a thin difference but many say it as inspired when they are caught. According to critic Ravi Menon, there exists only a fine line between inspiration and plagiarism. "Taking inspiration from a song is not at all wrong, but blatant copying is a crime".
    Music plagiarism types.
    1. The music is copied as a whole.
    2. Just a portion is copied (Just the start or in the middle)
    3. The beats or tune are copied(Rhythm)

Now, as we are from different regions and have different taste in music, I would like to name some of the music, instrumental or songs, which is copied or say plagiarised. You can provide information from any language. Do provide the original song and year and also the copied song along with the name of the music director.

I am starting it here:

1. Kaoma- Lambada(1989) copied by Jennifer Lopez -Hit on the Floor(2011) - Both were chartbusters.
    2. Mere Rang Mein (Maine Pyar Kiya, 1989) was copied by Raam Laxman from The Final Countdown", Europe (1989)
    3. Sachi Ye Kahani Hai(Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa, 1994) -Jatin-Lalit was inspired from "Rasputin" by Boney M (1978)
    4. Tumhe apna banane ki kasam (Sadak 1990 ) copied from Pakistani song Chale to Musarrat nasie (1983)
    5. Puthu Vellai Mazhai (Roja (1992) -Tamil) by A.R. Rahman is copied from Chariots of Fire (Vangelis - 1981)
    Yes. It is true. There are many songs like that. Many Telugu music directors copied Hindi songs music and created songs in Telugu. If we hear both the songs except lyrics there will not be any change that can be noticed. Similarly, some music in old movies copied in new movies. In such cases actually, the Music director should thank and express their gratitude to the original music directors. But they will never do that. They talk as if they have done the song on their own. Why the original music directors keep silent on this I don't know. I don't know whether they are getting any monetary benefits from the other party.
    drrao
    always confident

Copying or partially copying is very common in the field of music and the film makers use this frequently. Sometimes it does not bring the intended purpose. The reason is simple. A song is made up of two parts one is music and other is the lyric. We the Indian audience, we have a very specific liking for the lyrics and we do not adore the music if lyrics are not impressive. I remember one case where a music piece of the English movie 'Come September' was in toto copied and a hindi lyrics was merged with it. The song miserably failed and I do not here that song in radio or any other place anytime. So copying will not always help.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments