Music plagiarism- copied at its bestPlagiarism in music is not new. We have heard much news about a song or music being copied by another music directors and takes the full credits for that song. During early days, it was difficult to catch Music plagiarism but due to technology and the internet at hand, even minor plagiarism can be caught.
Earlier, music directors use to copy the music of foreign languages which many of us were not familiar with. Many renowned music directors have copied others and show-cased as their own. We know, copying and inspiration have a thin difference but many say it as inspired when they are caught. According to critic Ravi Menon, there exists only a fine line between inspiration and plagiarism. "Taking inspiration from a song is not at all wrong, but blatant copying is a crime".
Music plagiarism types.
1. The music is copied as a whole.
2. Just a portion is copied (Just the start or in the middle)
3. The beats or tune are copied(Rhythm)
Now, as we are from different regions and have different taste in music, I would like to name some of the music, instrumental or songs, which is copied or say plagiarised. You can provide information from any language. Do provide the original song and year and also the copied song along with the name of the music director.
I am starting it here:
1. Kaoma- Lambada(1989) copied by Jennifer Lopez -Hit on the Floor(2011) - Both were chartbusters.
2. Mere Rang Mein (Maine Pyar Kiya, 1989) was copied by Raam Laxman from The Final Countdown", Europe (1989)
3. Sachi Ye Kahani Hai(Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa, 1994) -Jatin-Lalit was inspired from "Rasputin" by Boney M (1978)
4. Tumhe apna banane ki kasam (Sadak 1990 ) copied from Pakistani song Chale to Musarrat nasie (1983)
5. Puthu Vellai Mazhai (Roja (1992) -Tamil) by A.R. Rahman is copied from Chariots of Fire (Vangelis - 1981)