You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Reading - A habit to induce to our children

My nephew and niece are in high schools and are not keen in reading. Nephew (Avon) is in 8th std and Niece (Linet) is in the 6th std. I would like them to read good books in order to infuse habit of reading. I know it's tough but would like to give them the foster a habit which will give them a good start and keep them away from intense usage of internet and television.

As many of the members are good readers and have read many books, I would like you to volunteer some good books which they can start and you think will help them bloom.

Kindly provide names of good english books with the authors name ( Novels, articles, autobiographies, scripts) from authors which can be well understood.
    The use of mobile phones and watching of Television by the Children is reducing the reading habit of children. Use of technology is required but to a limited extent. Reading of books has many advantages which we need to encourage the children.
    "If you don’t understand my silence, you will not understand my words"
    Unknown

I never read many English books. I studied many science and chemistry books in English but not novels. I read novels and other light reading books in Telugu and the names of those books are of no use to you.
    drrao
    always confident

Reading is a great habit and if it can be inculcated in the children, nothing better can be than that. Once the habit is formed it becomes a life time passion. Luckily, I had this hobby and still continuing though the reading hours are now reduced considerably. During my student life I had gone through many books which still linger in my memory.

I can suggest some of them as - Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe, Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift, Panchatantra by Vishnu Sharma, Aesop's Fables by Aesop, Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving, Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas, Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen, David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, A Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea by Jules Verne, Black Beauty by Anna Sewell, Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain etc. There are many more but these are the prominent ones.

My favourites are Treasure Island which I have read 2-3 times especially the decoding of the encrypted message, Gulliver's Travels and Panchatantra. You can read them multiple times. They give you the same thrill every time.

Knowledge is power.

I am not an avid reader so I can not suggest any books but yes reading is one of the finest hobby and if the children develop it at an early age it is a good thing. One can learn a lot of things from the books and it is useful when you reproduce those ideas in your language.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments