You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Requests

Please get the name right

Dear members,

I have made this request earlier also - please address a member correctly. Some of you have been referring to Umang Shah as 'Umesh'. I think this is an error as the photo covers his name. You are likely just seeing the first two letters and addressing him as Umesh. If a photo is creating an issue in being able to know the member's name, please click on the name, then go to the profile account of the member and know the correct name.

Also, once again requesting members to address each other by name when responding in a thread and not by their response number #. They are people, not digits.
    Thank you for the heads up, I am guilty of doing that. I know his name is Umang, but inadvertently put down another member's name. Apologies. I opened the thread to make the correction but found the 'edit' button missing. It would be nice if you could make the edit and correct the name in this thread. Apologies to Umesh and Umang.
    'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

It is important to spell the name correctly. I was doing it sometimes earlier. But these I am trying to be careful. Initially, I was responding to the comments by others using the names. But these days many people started using the thread number. By seeing them I also started that. Anyhow no I will not use numbers.
    drrao
    always confident

It has happened in the past too when someone has mentioned Neeru as Neethu. It's very upsetting when a member doesn't write the right name. I have been very particular about it and never misspelt or write the incorrect name of a member.
    Sanjeev

" We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    – Abraham Lincoln

A subtle point but very important as a little care will avoid this error. Generally it happens when the members are in a haste to complete their responses due to whatever reasons. Let us all try to address each other correctly.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

It is an insult to both Mr. Umang Shah and Mr. Umesh. Let us say sorry to both of them and take a resolve not to write others Members' name wrong.
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

Partha, apologies have already been given and it was an inadvertent error, not a deliberate one. It would be nice if you practice what you preach. Addressing a member by a hashtag followed by a number is a worse act because it is deliberate. I call upon you to render an apology to Ankit, for addressing him by a post number in this thread. Members must definitely make a resolve to comply with the instructions and avoid such deliberate acts of disobedience.
    'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

A timely reminder, it is a basic requisite while corresponding with people that we get the name correct. Many times, response numbers are quoted if the discussion has gone too far or the member is relatively new. The other inhibition for some would be what salutation/pre-fix to use. Do we use Mr/Mrs/Ms/Ji/Mam, this at times can entice the member to just quote the response number to start their post.

A very noted point but sometimes when we get to know our mistake, the edit button is missing and thus continuing the mistake.
    It is mangling to name someone who actually doesn't know or is in the picture. Everyone need to take this effort to address correct person with correct spelling.

I too had done this and was not intentional but by mistake.

“Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

"it is deliberate. I call upon you to render an apology to Ankit, for addressing him by a post number in this thread. ": -----------I only discussed the content of the response, the number of which was quoted. No Member was my target in that case. So, there is no question of seeking an apology from any Member for that response.
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

Partha,
    'I only discussed the content of the response...' Amazing! I hope 'the content' realises that it was discussed. Copying Vandana's directives, in case you missed it - 'Also, once again requesting members to address each other by name when responding in a thread and not by their response number #. They are people, not digits'. You may come with all the excuses you want but your action is in clear defiance to the request posted in this thread. And if it is allowed, for whatever reason, then the objective of the request is lost. It is setting a wrong precedence.

I call upon the ME to make her stand clear. Is a hashtag followed by a number allowed when a member 'discusses' content posted by another member? Is the request she made binding or is it a futile attempt to make members adhere to certain 'unwritten' posting guidelines.

Juana,

This is what I meant: When making a reference to something stated in the content of another response, why not address the member by name? I think it can be put like this, for example, if you wish to refer to a particular response of the member, "Vandana, with reference to response # (the no.)" instead of "#(the no.)" alone.

However, note that this thread was placed in the category of requests and can be considered as an informal instruction and not a site policy issued officially by the admin. I just put the request as it would be nice to have it implemented by all. Also, I think we should refrain from issuing a directive to other members to render an apology. An apology should come from the member spontaneously, and be sincere, not merely because somebody said to apologize.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

One more thing - if even a few members made the attempt to go by my request, it would not be a wholly futile attempt!
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

I faced the problem earlier. Many members often misspelt my beautiful name. I could not tolerate it. That's the reason why I cut short my beautiful name into a short and brief name SuN. Yet someone wrote it as Son, intentionally.

It is always better to address a member by his/her name than indicating the reference number #.

No life without Sun

I joined this site around 7 months back and since then I have been seeing people by responding with # response no and I too started it as I thought this is what the site says to do when responding on someone's comment and after 7 months our ME is saying that it's not allowed. It's really strange because we took too much time to note this and asking people not to do it.
    Sanjeev

" We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    – Abraham Lincoln

I think, the thread is about wrongly spelt names. That mistake may be an unintended error.
    Generally, In our country many people still believe that addressing someone by name is still seen as taboo. This is an on line platform. We have many members in this forum and we don't know each other's age, qualification, profession and on what responsibility they are in the society The use of phrases such as ' Sir" ' Madam', 'Ji ' etc frequently used and are instinctive. We can call it as a feudalistic habit of addressing others. I found many people have difficulty in calling other members by name. This is deep rooted in our mentality. It is difficult to separate the respect from servility.
    Hence, there is nothing wrong in responding a thread by referring the post number. There cannot be any written or un written guidelines in this regard.

Absolutely Neeraj that's what I wanted to say. The thread was about misspelt names or addressing someone by not his/her name but the people turned the thread to something else.
    Sanjeev

– Abraham Lincoln

Neeraj,
    Addressing members by their name pleases the members and is a polite and pleasant gesture. Just addressing a member with a response number is like calling a prisoner inside a jail. Let us consider ourselves as family members of reputed ISC family.

No life without Sun

When a member is in a hurry to answer or response a post then in that excitement this can unintentionally happen that he or she may misspelt the name of the particular member. The person whose name is misspelt may be hurt to find that content is more important than the member's name and his individuality. It means that whenever a responding member writes his response and then reads it before submission at that time he or she has to just check this aspect that name is not misspelt. Grammarly or any other language correcting app will also not help as it is immune to the names. So let us remember and make it a practice to check the names before submission of our responses. Unintentional mistakes do not require any apology and it will be too much to ask it from the responding members especially when they have already accepted their mistakes in a humble way.
    Knowledge is power.

Thanks to Vandana Ma'am for this request. We must address the members correctly. At times, we may misspell the names of other members which has to be avoided. Though misspelling of a name is not intentional, we have to be cautious while addressing others and as soon as we notice the mistake we have to correct it. It is always a good practice to mention the name of a member along with the response number while responding to threads. It is a polite way of addressing rather than referring to them with a string of numbers. All of us should follow this good practice.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

The given suggestions are good. However, in the absence of firm guidelines, everything is just opinions, yours against mine (figuratively). The request for the implementation of certain practices is open to discretion.

I agree an apology must be spontaneous, but asking for one, is a way of expressing one's displeasure. It is a symbolic use of the phrase. Admittedly, the other person is not going to take heed and apologise, nor does one expect them to.

Getting the name of a person right actually denotes your respect for the other as an individual. Addressing a person by a different or wrong name or spelling the name wrongly reflects the attitude of a person, especially when the mistake is repeated. While it is true that such mistakes are most of the time inadvertent, our effort must be to avoid such mistakes. And, it would always be a welcome gesture to seek an apology once you realize your mistake. I think these are basic accepted courtesies and need not be put in black and white for people to follow.

I also agree with the suggestion by the author that it is always better to use the name instead of response numbers while posting responses with reference to a particular member.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. -Aristotle

Sanjeev Gupta,

With reference to your response #669161, should one follow the herd? Also, note that this request was made not just by me earlier but also came up for discussion through an editor's thread some years ago. It opened my own eyes - at that time, I myself expressed shame in addressing members by numbers since it was akin to the number assigned to a prisoner. So if that thread could create a change for the good, why not this one? Besides, it is never too late, is it, to make an effort to change!

Saji, Yes these are inadvertent errors made even in award announcement threads. Everyone is susceptible to making such errors, and it may not always have to do with the attitude of the person. I believe that it is equally important to seek an apology when the error is pointed out, that is also the decent thing to do. I agree that basic courtesies shouldn't be spelt out, but their absence encourages people to give excuses for why they did, what they did.

@ 669176,

SuN

Addressing members by their name pleases some members, not all.
    In an online portal, a 12 year old young member may not like to address a 60 year old member by calling name. A 60 year old member may not like to be called by a 12 year old member by name. That is why we use abbreviated names in offices to avoid this generation gap.
    Addressing the member by quoting the response number is the professional way of responding in an on line portal.
    Jail authorities may use our system because this is the professional way of addressing inmates. If you want, you can talk to them and ask them to avoid using our system !

• Sign In to post your comments