You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is it right to relate profession with the religion?

It's shocking when we relate a profession with the religion. Zaira Wasim who is one of the Bollywood actresses whose role was appreciated in the movie "Dangal" has announced that she is quitting Bollywood citing religious reasons for her decision.

Hailing from Kashmir, the 18-year-old went on a feature in a solo film after Dangal she was the main protagonist in Advait Chauhan's Secret Superstar. In a detailed post on her Facebook page, Zaira wrote, "Five years ago I made a decision that changed my life forever. As I entered in Bollywood, it opened doors of fame for me. I started to become the prime candidate for public attention.

This field indeed brought a lot of love, support, and applause but what it also did was to lead me to a path of ignorance, as I silently and unconsciously transitioned out of 'Imaan' (a Muslim's steadfast path in Allah's devotion). While I continued to work in an environment that consistently interfered with my Imaan, my relationship with my religion was threatened."

I feel pity for her as she has to quit when she was gaining fame. It's very disappointing because she has cited a religion for the same.
    There are some professions which are related to their religion. For example, a priest in a temple will be a Hindu only. Other religion people may not be able to that. Same may be the case with places of worships of other religions. Similarly in the schools where the methods of worship and other rituals are taught only people related to that religion can work but not the people who belong to other religions. We need not worry about that.
    But in other professions, religion should not matter. Irrespective religion everyone should be given equal importance and that should not be a concern for anybody in discharging their duties and other issues. If it comes in the way it will be very unfortunates. Recently it has become an issue in some government jobs also. In some places of worship, people related to other religions were appointed and a big fight is going on there to avoid such issues.

drrao
    always confident

On one side we talk of women's lib and gender equality and on the other side such an extreme thing is happening that women are leaving their career for their religion whether voluntarily or under some compelling force. The link of religion to one's career is an unfortunate matter and denotes the backwardness of a particular community. We talk of modernisation and development but these things are taking us back to the primitive world where the men used be the bread winners and women had to be confined within the four walls of the house.

This is high time that the women of such communities should revolt against these practices and be united to fight these humiliating and degrading things affecting their well being and progress in the world.

Knowledge is power.

It was her choice to join the Bollywood industry and now when she didn't feel satisfied with it she chooses to quit. It is her choice and her personal decision to quite or joins any organisation should be respected. It is how she felt and decided to quite what she feels was interfering her faith.

'Imaan' is the most precious thing for Muslims and can not compromise on that. Any practising Muslim always abstains from acts or professions not allowed in Islam. Islam doesn't allow indulging in shameful acts. Here is guidance from the Quran:
    Say: the things that my Lord hath indeed forbidden are: shameful deeds, whether open or secret; sins and trespasses against truth or reason; assigning of partners to Allah, for which He hath given no authority; and saying things about Allah of which ye have no knowledge.

However, choosing a profession or quitting it is one's personal choice. Islam doesn't force anyone to get into religion.
    Quran 2:256 says;
    There is no compulsion in religion; truly the right way has become clearly distinct from error; therefore, whoever disbelieves in the Shaitan and believes in Allah he indeed has laid hold on the firmest handle, which shall not break off, and Allah is Hearing, Knowing.

Umesh,

Therefore, quitting one's profession is not backwardness but being judgmental on a particular community without knowing anything is. Being in the industry where only shameful and disgraceful scenes are encouraged and people calling it "modernisation and development" is the biggest mental bankruptcy and backwardness!

Sanjeev, as long as it is Zaira's personal decision to quit films for whatever reasons, I don't think we need to be worried. Why should we be when we have nothing to do with it. Her feeling that being in films is carrying her far away from her religious practices is her personal feeling and she has every right to think so. I agree that the issue would be different if the decision was forced upon her but in that case too it is she who should protest if she feels so.

Why do we forget the legends like Meena Kumari, Madhubala, Waheeda Rahman, Saira Banu and many other Muslim actresses who had decorated our silver screen and had won the hearts of millions of filmgoers while giving so much of importance to Zaira, an actress who is just three or four films old?

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. -Aristotle

Now there will be many people to support the decision of Zaira Wasim. Some people will also praise her spiritual upbringing. But, we won't see any Amir Khan, Shahrukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Irrfan Khan or any other male Khan quit acting on religious ground.
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

As per the the newspaper updates, It is mentioned that the actress wanted to follow her religion over the fame that bollywood provide. She has mentioned that it is her own choice. She says that, she enjoyed the fame that bollywood provided her in the 2 years but found that it kept her away from her imaan(faith).

Now, it her own choice and many won't agree as in this world when everyone want to be at the center of attraction, and where many just makes loose comments or other some other sort of controversies in order to be famous here is a 19 year girl who after getting famous would like to go into limelight.

She acted in bollywood and now feels to leave it due to imaan a known reason. There can be many other reason below the desk but the main concern is her faith. Every one should accept it. There are many who feels such but are mum due to various reason.

She has also mentioned all that got when she came to fame and will miss but is ready for it. So why discuss about it when it is her own choice. It should be a welcome note.

“Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

I don't agree and think that she took a decision under pressure because after the release of her debut film Dangal she was trolled for being un-Islamic. Maybe someone has threatened her for quitting Bollywood otherwise it's not easy to leave stardom at this little age.
    Sanjeev

" We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    – Abraham Lincoln

I think religion should not be linked to any profession or activity. If it is being done in a particular religion then it is a matter of concern and the people of that particular religion will be adversely affected by it as it will choke all their chances of rising in the life. Today we are developing very fast but any such measure will take the community back to the primitive times. The modern people should get rid of the unsolicited advices and guidelines issued by their religious leaders who are only interested in their selfish motives.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

There is no relation between the two and it is always better to keep the religious faiths inside the mind of people and the place of worship which unfortunately is not witnessed in our country. While proper education is important for developing the conscience, depending too much on faith or religion, though a personal decision, may not be seen as a progressive way of thinking. How you wish to stay is absolutely your personal choice but the choice has to be yours. If you live your life on others' choice, it proves either you have no choice or not living a happy life.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Those who keep track, know very well that for the last two years this girl has been receiving fatwas and various other sorts of intense pressure from the mullahs. The same is applicable to her family. One year before, she informed that she had been suffering from depression. She could not cope up with the fundamentalists in her religion. So, she has quit using religion.

The religion is very much involved in this controversy, contrary to the views of the so-called liberals.

"Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

Whether Zaira Wasim wants to continue to work in Bollywood or not, it's her freedom of choice and we shall appreciate her decision. But, it's actually shocking that she has cited religious reason behind her decision to leave the industry. Her, this kind of declaration have created some doubts as to whether she has been pressurized to leave Bollywood in name of religion by some rigid religious groups of her community!!
    She is absolutely wrong when she says that cinema is against her religion because many Bollywood stars are coming from the same religious community as of hers and therefore it is nothing but a religious politics that is trying to influence young talents like Zaira Wasim and it is heart burning.

"Words are precious, ought to be used wisely." - Umang Shah

Umang, did Zaira say that movies are against the religion she follows? I don't think so. I think she said that being in the limelight through movies she has started feeling that she is moving away from her religious beliefs.

Now coming to her relating religion to her decision (her decision), why should we be so upset about that? Is it the first time that we are hearing someone or some group doing so? We have now stepped into a period where people have started connecting everything they say, do or believe to religion, caste and creed and so there is no need to bring in an element of surprise or anxiety to this issue.

In my earlier response at #669277, I have named a few Muslim actresses of yesteryears who had no problems in being a Muslim and an actress. We still have a lot of Muslim actresses adorning the silver screen across different languages in India. When religion is not a hindrance to their career or passion, we should logically conclude that the decision by Zaira was an entirely personal one.

I personally feel that the issue is being discussed so much not just because she is a Muslim but particularly because she is a Muslim lady from Kashmir.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. -Aristotle

• Sign In to post your comments