You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Wow! These five culprits have got bail

It happened less than one month before. The people of a particular community beat the doctors of NRS Medical College of Kolkata, when an old patient belonging to the community died due to brain stroke in the hospital. A doctor (an intern) was so grievously injured that his future is at stake. His life has somehow been saved. I raised the following thread at that time:-
    Do you know.....

The doctors all over West Bengal went on strike. The healthcare of the state was in doldrums for at least seven days. Even the doctors of Government hospitals of other states observed token strike expressing solidarity.

The dictatorial Chief Minister had to meet the doctors after dilly-dallying. She had to reluctantly arrest five culprits (of her favourite community). With the passage of time, the matter has gone to the backstage because one after another instance of maladministration and criminal case has been coming to the forefront in the state exposing the terrible woman's terrible administration. i

Now what happened yesterday? Those five culprits, viz., Md. Shahnawaz, Md. Yaqub, Sk. Anwar, Adil Harun and Md. Badal, have got bail from the court. The Public Prosecutor of the state did not oppose the bail petition. In fact, he stated that he has not been aware of the case.

Now despite the Chief Minister's assurance that the culprits won't be spared, these five criminals have got bail without any contest. What does it mean?

Has the appeasement reached the peak? Or, would the people of the state have to see some new low?
    People who have attacked the doctors in West Bengal were arrested and now they are released on bail. Now the process of punishment will be delayed. The case will be taken up by courts and a long process of court dates and hearing will start. In this system the justice is delayed. Sometimes the whole thing is diluted also.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

This is what is happening in our country in many cases and particularly in cases where political leaders or their people are involved. They will do some mistakes. Police will arrest them and they will come out with a bail and they will be moving freely without any problem. Innocent people of society will have to be careful to move out. The court will take its own time in finalising the case. Meanwhile, the culprit will become a big man.
    I think the situation in West Bengal is becoming worst and there is no proper administration or ruling in the State. The lady CM is free to do whatever she wanted to do. I don't know how the public prosecutor said that he is not aware of the case. I think some serious action is to be taken and the state should be brought on proper rails.

drrao
    always confident

Process of punishment! They will not get any punishment. Who will be the witness after a long time with direct or indirect threat (which the potential witnesses would receive)? This is the Islamic state of West Bengal!
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

A good post by the author. As said, the doctors were attacked by the people and government doctors had called strike, not only in Kolkata but also in many states which was well addressed. All had their eyes on the issue and was taken seriously as it's a matter of health which cannot be delayed in most cases. Many states had injected the pay scale issue into the current issue.

Now, as the author has come up with the names, do we always have to go with religion when such cases rise. If the culprits are of other religion, will that not matter? Why do we always keep on emphasising on religion? A culprits or a criminal are what they are and it has nothing to do with any religion.

All need to stand for the main issue instead of going with religion. If we educated, litrated and knowledgeable people too go with religion in such cases, what can we expect from the illiterate and poor people.

Partha, even your response state the same. Please act as common to all. Whether a hindu, muslim or christian commit any crime, they have to be punished. The law need to be equal to all irrespective of caste , creed, power, religion, rich, poor, position, etc.

“Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

"The law need to be equal to all irrespective of caste , creed, power, religion, rich, poor, position, etc."--------Yes, you are correct, Mr. Varghese. But that is not happening in the rapidly islamic state of West Bengal. Maybe you are blissfully unaware.
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

People who were arrested are now on bail and not acquitted from the charges. They are still under the charge and will be tried before the court and now it is the job of the public prosecutor to prove the case. I hope prosecutor will successfully prove the case and deliver the justice to the victims. Judiciary nowadays is functioning swiftly since last five years and it will function for swiftly in coming days as more judges will be appointed and infrastructure of courts will be improvised. As a law student and intern, i can assure you guys that we can still faith in our judiciary and it is in far better condition today than any other institution.
    "Words are precious, ought to be used wisely." - Umang Shah

Without any witness who will prove their guilt and how? The state government never wants to punish the members of its favourite community.

It's unfortunate that the accused persons got bail but I am not surprised because it's all part of the legal procedure. I accept that the law and order are not in order in West Bengal and we do not know what is in store for the future. The government is always busy in vote-bank politics and therefore they need to keep their vote bank intact. When a government indulges in vote-bank politics it is very usual that they will support some communities more than the others. But this cannot affect the judicial process. There may be instances of certain quarters trying to influence the judgement but if there are valid proofs then justice will be delivered even if it is delayed. The judges in the respective courts of the states also apply their minds while delivering the judgement on certain cases and I hope the same will be applied here also. I agree there is appeasement here for certain communities but appeasement cannot influence the judgement in any way.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Partha, I don't want to take the pain of providing links (I can if you want) to all the attacks on doctors. Let me, but, being a liberal, say that religion has nothing to do with such reactions. The emotions of people who are affected is what matters.

I am not supporting such atrocities but, at the same time, feel that Doctors need to be more careful and caring and be true to the Oath they take.

These guys have been granted bail not because they are from the Muslim (scared as per your vision) community but because the law provides so.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. -Aristotle

"I am not supporting such atrocities but, at the same time, feel that Doctors need to be more careful and caring and be true to the Oath they take. "-------Then why in West Bengal, do we find that the culprits in almost all doctor-assaulting cases are Muslims?

"These guys have been granted bail not because they are from the Muslim (scared as per your vision) community but because the law provides so."-----No, they have been granted bail because the PP did not oppose the bail vehemently. There are many flaws in the chargesheet. This happened despite the fact that the terrible Chief Minister assured the doctors in strike that those culprits would not be spared, but in actuality, did not press the charge because of their religious identity (which is her vote-bank).

Let's learn to call a spade a spade.

Partha, I repeat, I don't want to take the pain to provide links (Should I take the risk?) Do not be all about Bengal just because Mamta Didi is against BJP. Anyone who has a different opinion can't be anti-national.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. -Aristotle

No, this doctor-assaulting activities by the scared community have been going on since the time of Left Front (early nineties). In South Kolkata, I have seen many such cases in Mominpur, Iqbalpur and Khidirpur area. But, earlier Bengali bhadraloks didn't say anything against them for the sake of secularism.

Now Bengali gentry has also understood that silence won't solve the problem.

• Sign In to post your comments