As I was in our school football team, we too use to do the hurdles before the game begins and it's the same for every team. Every team will have their own way of doing it but I can provide our style. In football, the full thing is decided outside the field.
We use to do the following in the hurdle :
1. Gather around and wait for every team player to gather and tuck our jersey inside , then observe a minute silence.
2. Have a prayer in common. Our's was a christian, so we use to say - Sign of the cross, 1 Our father, 1-3 Hail Mary & the glory be to the father, i.e the rosary prayer. Every one, whether Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Christian, Parsi, all use to say the prayer. This itself showed our unity. The same was the case in the Muslim or hindu schools.
3. Coach or captain would provide his input and the strategy for the current game with the opponent, whether the format will be 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or 4-2-4, etc, which post to select, who should play at what position, etc.
4. Use to say our school slogan and the victory slogan.
5. Go to the field in line from the centre and run towards any 1 post.
This hurdle helps the team to keep up the team spirit high and also boost the player with motivation provided by the coach and sometimes by our school principal, well wishers, etc.
I think the same is followed in all games and only there may be some changes.
“Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius