You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why members are not interested in acknowledging?

Dear Members,

ISC organizes many contests and awards prizes. But I could see only very few members responding with congratulatory messages.

Members celebrate their birthday at ISC. Yet, there are only very few members who wish them a "Happy Birthday."

Recently, ISC celebrated its 12th Anniversary. It has received only 16 responses. While we have tons of active members, why only very few respond to such threads.

Why members are not active in this aspect? Why?

Is it that members feel it below their dignity to do this? Please do accept and recognise; it will do you good.
    I think, it's the points that matters. For wishing or congratulations, one can only write few lines but for others, we can write at least 2 - 3 paragraphs. You receive points accordingly and many feel like giving feedback on that give them points as well as money in some sections.
    “Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

One should make it a point to respond to such messages. I think many of the members even some Editors also rarely participate in such threads. I expected that all the members to say Happy Birthday to ISC in that thread raised by Managing Editor. But as mentioned by the author there are very few responses only. Maybe time is one factor. For reading a post and making a reply to the post may require a minimum time of 10 to 15 minutes. The members may not have that much time and hence they may be avoiding. They may be feeling that one should not be so formal.
    drrao
    always confident

Thank you for the heads-up. After reading your post, I have posted congratulatory messages on all active threads, that needed my attention.

I find the pinned section very crowded and usually scroll past it without checking the posts. I do check them when I am logged in for long durations and not occupied with other work.

It is wrong to conclude that people have attitude issues; hence, they don't post congratulatory messages, as you have mentioned in another post. It is not that you post a message on every award announcement thread. If you are allowed to miss some, others must be allowed the same privilege. Why cast aspersions on others, when you do not know the reasons behind something?

'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

The author has made an observation and it is right that only a few such thread get more responses. The reasons could be many but one thing which is common is that all the members are not equally active in congratulating until unless it is some big prize or special occasion. For the routine awards everyone does not congratulate. Sometimes only those congratulate who have got the award which is in fact a type of acknowledging it rather than congratulating to others. Sometimes the availability of the time and target is also an important part and in that flow some otherwise not very attractive posts are given response. So, there are many such factors which make the total responses to a post less or more.
    Knowledge is power.

Varghese,
    Points don't matter much, It is the recognition of a member who has done well. Point also matters a lot. 'Small drops make an ocean'. If you believe this proverb, you will certainly value the small little point you earn for congratulatory messages.

The word congratulation with the name of members winning the prize will fetch you a single point or two points. It also helps you to develop your writing skill to congratulate others.

No life without Sun

I agree and fully support the views of the author in this thread. We should take some time to wish others to add to their happiness. It is human nature to desire wishes from others on special occasions and when we expect others to wish us, we should also wish them.

I myself many times miss such forum threads and now onwards, will take care of the same.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

I personally feel that when someone post their Happy Birthday post, whether they feel it or not but it does look as if forcing someone to come and wish me for my Birthday. Few may wish you just for the courtesy but A wish should not be a "courtesy", it should come from genuine heart. If it courtesy, I don't feel any purpose of it.

As far as ISC Birthday celebration is concern, I have personally not wish in the thread because I did't feel to wish it!
    I didn't feel it from my heart for this website and to get a wish one should not be forced.

What you get one should be happy with it, instead of waiting for someone to wish!

Anjana,
    I like your response.
    A member may not like to wish another member for various reasons. One could be the hatred feeling against a member.

But it is fun to read that you do not like to wish ISC on its Birthday. It is very strange. If you don't like ISC, why are you here, dear? While in Rome, be a Roman, and while at ISC, be a good ISCian without any hatred feeling. Be a member of the ISC family and learn to adjust and perform.

Since you have shown your hatred feeling against ISC, in the future, members reading this thread and your response may not acknowledge or respond to your messages.

From now onwards, I have decided to ignore your posts at ISC. What I understand is that you are some old wine in a new bottle.

@I do not like your hate response.

No life without Sun

"While we have tons of active members, why only very few respond to such threads."------Mr. SuN, you may be wrong here. I think that ISC presently has around 60-70 active Members including the Editors. Not all of them congratulate other Members on every occasion. Many active Members don't have that much attachment with ISC to celebrate its birthday.
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

It's all about a person's interest. Maybe few of us don't like to post the "congratulatory" responses.

It's not about collecting points. Few of us like the discussions only where one can discuss and few of us read the posts and don't like it then don't respond to them. I do that many times.

Sanjeev

" We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    – Abraham Lincoln

Partha,
    Living without any attachment with a detached heart is like living with a dead body. Let it not be with ISC. ISC is the platform where you rest your feet and stand erect to raise your voice to be heard by the netizens, remember. Let us not spit on the plate where we eat.

No life without Sun

What stops you from posting congratulatory messages when awards are announced? Is it hatred for a member, or is it something else?

There are over a dozen editors on ISC, and all of them are Forum Editors, perhaps by default. Barring a few, I don't see any of them take part in any of the happenings on ISC, leave alone post congratulatory notes.

'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

"Living without any attachment with a detached heart is like living with a dead body. Let it not be with ISC. ISC is the platform where you rest your feet and stand erect to raise your voice to be heard by the netizens, remember. Let us not spit on the plate where we eat."-----Mr. SuN, generally I post congratulatory messages to the winners of all contests. However, presently I am not spending much time in this platform. I am more busy in Quora. So, I may have missed some announcements.
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

Partha,
    Did I ever say that why Partha did not post any congratulatory message? It is general information and a special request to all members to encourage the winning members.
    Juana,
    Most of the editors of ISC think that they are the superiors and posting a congratulatory message is below their dignity as an editor. This is what I feel. Just count the number of editors who felicitated on ISC birthday? Very very few. All editors are selfish only to gain from ISC.

No life without Sun

As far as possible, I have posted congratulatory messages and wishes to the threads. I don't think it's the feeling of below dignity. It would be the common scenario of reading the thread and then moving on. Like SMS or what's up messages, some people would acknowledge, some you get the message and don't reply back.

The other point would be the feeling that their message also would sound the same and the member/s who have already replied. I personally feel we should reply to TOW, SOW, Wizard, etc because it's something that keeps the concept of camaraderie visible in the forum. When a guest or visitor opens such threads, he/she would be impressed about how the regular members take time and acknowledge the co-members achievements. For such messages, personal animosity has no place.

It is impossible to understand what is going on inside someone's mind. There can be many possibilities like some members do not look into the pinned posts and go straight away to the current threads posted by the members, as the threads mentioning awards and winners of a contest are pinned on the upper part, a few may feel it's not worthy to reply to such threads, others may hold some grudge against the award winners, etc. It's important to acknowledge and appreciate the efforts of others because that's what keeps us moving. Can you imagine a situation where your work, whether in office or at home, is not recognized by others in any way? Though you may continue doing your work, after a certain period you will feel discouraged because nobody even recognized your work, let along appreciating it. Though it's not your fault, others associated with you should make you feel that you are a part of them. That's why it's important to appreciate and acknowledge.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

@ Sun:

I strongly object to your comments: "Most of the editors of ISC think that they are the superiors and posting a congratulatory message is below their dignity as an editor. This is what I feel. Just count the number of editors who felicitated on ISC birthday? Very very few. All editors are selfish only to gain from ISC."

It only displays your attitude towards Editors or other members. You may have your own definition for the word - 'Dignity'. Let ISC make 'Dignity' a topic for TOW for the next contest. You can understand the meaning of the word which you use the word very frequently at your convenience.

Regards,
    Jagdish

Jagdish,
    Why wait for TOW to discuss 'Dignity'. You are at liberty to create a thread on 'Dignity' to know the result. To keep up your dignity as an editor, you should organize a contest on 'Dignity' and award prizes to the winners.

No life without Sun

Can we stop the discussion on congratulating members. It has now become argument instead of a discussion. Many feel like, they wish, many didn't feel, they didn't wish. It's everyone's approach. Why do we expect everyone to follow the path that is set.

Some like to be active and hence they show their presence, some are passive while some are guest, they visit and go. Let's leave it to them, If I wanna wish, I will wish and no one can stop me from doing it and vice versa. The thread has started becoming personal whersas it was a common one. Let's not play the blame game.

“Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

No Sun, editors are not showing their superiority; they are just exercising their right. There is no compulsion on anybody. You too do not post congratulatory messages on every award announcement post. Let members use their discretion; they should not be questioned or taunted and defamed for something they choose not to do.

This has become a very interesting thread starting from why the members are not congratulating others on their achievements. I am most of the times trying to do it though miss these many a times. On an average a message gets about 8-10 congratulatory messages. If the award is bigger then the number may go up. Moreover some people have a habit of congratulating whenever an opportunity comes while others reserve it for occasions.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

No Juana,
    I do it regularly. The percentage of missing a thread to congratulate would be very minimal, say 5% in my entire ISC life. It is a courtesy to congratulate a winner, may it be our enemy.

In Cricket, have you seen all the fielders congratulating the bowler when a wicket is taken?

No doubt, Most of the ISC editors feel superior and feel it low to congratulate others. I am sure and firm.

No life without Sun

I must accept that at times, I do miss to post a congratulatory message, but it is not due to any sour feeling. Neither due to points nor for any disinterest. It just happens because sometimes there is so much workload that I fail to post a comment. Thanks to the author for the reminder.
    shampasaid

Mr. Sun, we shouldn't be judgmental. There could be many other reasons why people don't wish and lets leave it to that instead of making assumptions and believing those assumptions.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.