You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

After long last, a 93 year old new President for Congress

After 43 days of drama, dilly-dallying and other usual tactics, Shri Rahul Gandhi resigned from the position of Congress President, taking responsibility of the electoral debacle. But, wait! Is my sentence factually correct? Did he actually resign? Did he send his resignation letter to the members of the Congress Working Committee (CWC)? No. He has only uploaded his four-page resignation letter on Twitter. But forget these technicalities. Whatever he does is correct. Many liberal journalists in Delhi are now praising the letter where Shri Gandhi complained of non-cooperation against other senior Congress leaders.

So, a new Working President has been appointed. Who is he? He is none other than 93-year-old Motilal Vohra. It is expected that this grand old man would bring fresh blood to the party! If he is unable, then younger ones are waiting. Most probably, Shri Sushil Kumar Sindhe, much younger the Vohra-Ji (Sindhe-Ji is in the early eighties), will take permanent charge of Congress as President.

God save this Grandfather of all Indian political parties!
    It is an interesting turn of events as the family person is being replaced by a person having age of 93. At one side there were talks of bringing young blood in the party command and at the other side bringing an old man to the helm of affairs, it is realy looking very ridiculous. These are actually appearing as a last minute desperate efforts to somehow steer the party out of the present tough time. But will such actions help the party? I do not see any merit in such actions. Public will not get impressed with such old leadership. This appears to me as an interim arrangement till a new young and dynamic person is selected by the party.
    Knowledge is power.

Partha, should we be worried? If the BJP chooses to sideline and keep senior members like Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi aside, do you think Congress should follow the steps? If the BJP led by Modi and Shah can have their plans, can't the Congress too? It is an internal political decision and we need not be worried. Let age be not a factor. A father is always a father, no matter what his age or well-being is.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. -Aristotle

BJP , the ruling party, would be delighted, but, we, the common educated people of the country, must worry seeing the pathetic condition of the major opposition party of the country.
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

Mr Partha,
    Age is only a number!
    Rahul Gandhi says, a non-Gandhi should lead Congress Party.
    But, the incumbent should be a Gandhi family loyalist and safe social choice for the Gandhi family!!
    What does it mean?
    He also said that he will be available to serve the party 24 hours.

It is a good thing that finally a decision has been taken by the congress party about its change of party President. It is really surprising to note that they took such a long time in taking this decision. It is of course a major shift in congress policy to go for a none family member for this important post. Let us see how the general public takes this change and in what way it is going to be a winning or losing factor for the the party.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

A change when put forward is always criticized. This is a known fact for everyone. If the congress party after such long terms have come to a point of vouchsafe the congress party baton to a non- Gandhi member, should it not be we failte. A small change can make an impact.

Now coming to the second point, Choosing an old or young person for the presidential post, solely depend upon the vote. The congress committee will set up an election schedule and they will go for the candidature. If there are more than 1 person, they will go as per votes. The one who win will be made the party president. Shouldn't this move be welcomed.

Every group, whether its a company, party, organisation or in family, the head is normally the old and experienced as he/she is familiar of handling people, situations and resentment from outside and inside. As noted by Saji, when BJP, AAP and other party can eschew the pillars of the party, why only congress is held at gunpoint. It is always circumvent to blame others.

As per the news, the front runner for the post are Sushil Kumar Shinde, Mallikarjun Kharge, Mukul Wasnik but as mentioned, the final decision will be of the Gandhi family. Let's hope that they come up with the right candidate who can handle the situation, correct their flaws and rebuild the congress party.

“Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

Neeraj, we need to give it a thought as to why Rahul Gandhi has zeroed in on this decision. If the Congress has to suffer just due to the Gandhi tag, let the party try other means. We are into an era of 'One'. One Nation, One election, one leader, one ration card and so on. So, no worries. Just enjoy!
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. -Aristotle

You need to be brave and courageous enough to accept defeat gracefully and also, admit the reason for defeat. I don't think there was a drama, Rahul Gandhi meant what he said, he has resigned.

As for the title of this thread, its not true. He continues to be president till the next CWC meeting is called. Post which they may accept/reject.

The news that Motilal Vohra is the new interim president is not true, at least till this moment

Please see the following link:-
    https://www.indiatoday.in/india/video/motilal-vora-likely-to-be-interim-congress-president-1561307-2019-07-03

By the way, this is not a Republic TV link.

"Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

After a long long time, a non-Gandhi family President is expected for Congress party. Who will be the president and how he will improve the image of the party is to be seen. Electing a president is the duty of the party people. But I think 93 years old person may not be the right choice. But it is a stop-gap arrangement only I understand and let us wait and see who is going to be the chief there. Whether there will be an election or the person suggested by the Nehru family will be the President is also to be seen.
    Anyhow, Congress party is the oldest party and there are many leaders who served the country from that party. We will be happy if proper actions are taken by the party and if it attains the olden day's glory nothing like it. There will not be any problem. We have seen many good leaders like Lal Bahadur, PV Narasimharao etc who are not from Nehru family. Let us hope that a good leader will emerge and save the party.

drrao
    always confident

But Mr Partha, the news itself says "likely to appoint", they haven't appointed him yet as per your post in the thread. That will be done in the next CWC meeting whenever it will be scheduled and not just that there are reports where Motilal has refused the news that he has been appointed as the interim President.

Then see the tweet of a very famous secular-liberal-anti-Modi woman (not lady):-

https://twitter.com/RanaAyyub/status/1146391723305656320

I read it Mr. Partha, but is she the official spokesperson of Congress Party? There will be many news and assumptions out there.

I fail to understand the relevance of the tweet here!

They should give party president ship to young and dynamic leaders such as Robert Gandhi or Karti Chidambaram.

I appreciate RG's decision to quit as Congress President. But I don't appreciate Congress Party's decision to have an oldest or old man as President.

I strongly recommend a good lady from Congress from any state should be made as President of the Congress Party. That would really help Congress to regain its lost strength. Who can be that good lady? Think it over.

Alternatively, for the betterment of Congress, I also recommend that RG should nominate his successor who is a celebrity and known to all in the world. Why not the tall shining superstar Amitabh Bachan, RG's family friend, be made as Congress President. I am sure, he can take the Congress to the height.

No life without Sun

Mr. Partha, I think I have found the same post as a reply on quora which goes by your name.

Providing the link for reference - https://qr.ae/TWtWOj

Yes, Ms. Neethu. That particular answer was also written by me.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.