You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Time to learn our Scriptures

We all are from different religion and have read their own scriptures. There are exceptions where some have read other sacred books too. Now we might have come across many phrases, quotes, parables and stories which even at present times gets their impact.

Requesting every member to provide such quotes from the sacred scriptures only " Bhagvat Gita, Ramayana, Mahabharata, Quran, Holy Bible, Guru Granth Sahib, Upanishads, etc., only to name some. This will help us to get some quotes which can be enlightening.

You can quote it in any language provided, it is explained in English, for everyone to understand. This thought came to my mind after reading the article from Shampa Sadhya - Is God happy for giving birth to the human race?. As the title says "Time to learn our Scriptures", shall we start to learn some quotes from our sacred books also. I know, many know but will be a good platform to learn some quotes or phrases from other scriptures also.
    In our epic Mahabharata, there are many lines full of wisdom and the writers and philosophers have chosen a number of quotes from it. One of the quotes which I read in some reference long back is still fresh in my mind. It was spoken by one of the character known as Vidura.

Vidura said - 'Cleverness does not always lead to gain nor stupidity to poverty.'

So, there are many factors for success in life and it is not only the cleverness and at the same time all fools are not poor. I like this quote. It says so much in so short.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Verghese,
    Before I start sharing something here, I want to know your answer on this - Do you think that these scriptures are filled only with good ideas and suggestions regarding our way of living? Do you think we should follow whatever is said in these religious scriptures especially if the scripture is of your religion?

Ankit, as far as I know and read my scripture, I have found only good. I don't know if you have come across any bad ideas. But here, I would like everyone to share good ideas which you feel inspires, give relief, encourages, uplifts and show us a way in darkness.

Why did you ask me this question is still floating in my mind. Don't know what made you feel like scripture give a negative impact. You can provide your best suited and noted verses from your scriptures.

“Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

Not only our scriptures but the epics of other societies and cultures are full of such quotes and most of them are very motivating and positive while there are some which are full of vengeance and vendetta. Anyway quotes are for quoting only and we can use them as and when required in our writings wherever they fit in the context. Epics are a great source of learning not only good things but the practical things which make people successful and prosperous. I do not hesitate in telling that we also learn the diplomacy and politics from them. They generally depict the power games and struggle for wealth but most of them show that good wins over evil and that is the undercurrent which all these scriptures contain.
    Knowledge is power.

If my morality has to be judged, it will be judged based on my overall character and not on the few good things I do. I might be kind, give money for social welfare, speak with respect but then if I think that people outside my religion or the lack of it are not worth living, I am not on a very good moral footing. Doing a few good things just makes me human, not a God whose words are supposed to be good irrespective of the generation change.

Bhagwat Gita 9.32, translated - O son of Pitha, those who take shelter in Me, though they be of lower birth – women, Vaisyas [merchants] and Sudras [workers] – can attain the supreme destination.

Manusmriti - For the welfare of humanity the supreme creator Brahma, gave birth to the Brahmins from his mouth, the Kshatriyas from his shoulders, the Vaishyas from his thighs and Shudras from his feet. (Manu's code I-31,)

Bible - Deuteronomy 25:11-1: If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

Quran (47:3-4) - "Those who disbelieve follow falsehood, while those who believe follow the truth from their Lord... So, when you meet (fighting Jihad in Allah's Cause), those who disbelieve smite at their necks till when you have killed and wounded many of them, then bind a bond firmly (on them, i.e. take them as captives)... If it had been Allah's Will, He Himself could certainly have punished them (without you). But (He lets you fight), in order to test you, some with others. But those who are killed in the Way of Allah, He will never let their deeds be lost."

Honestly, there are many many more such disgusting verses in the old scriptures. If you want to be good, live a good life and want the same for others, keep humanity at the top, ahead of any form of affiliation. Be it your nation, religion, gender, color or political affiliation. When you can think for the improvement of your neighbour, you are already a better person that the God you worship or the scripture you think is ideal.

I appreciate the curiosity and open mind of the thread author to learn from different texts and scripture.

Frankly I am not a learned man in our scriptures. In fact I have not even seen the outer brim .
    However whenever I feel relevant, I use some quotes which I had learned in school/college, or had heard my elders quoting to me or those which I later learned from reading and hearing learned people.

By doing that I can reinforce them to myself also.

But when we quote old texts and scriptures we should be careful not to misinterpret o led to misinterpretation of the original meaning and essence which the scriptures or texts meant then.

It is a good idea by the author. There are many holy books in all religions. If you go through all of them the message carried by all these books are one and the same.
    Sathyam Vada and Dharham Chera: It is a very good quote. All religions will propagate this only. Tell the truth and do dharma is the meaning of this. This saying will hold goos for all the people and everyone should respect this.
    Another quote from Bhaghavadgeetha: Do your work sincerely but never expect the end results. Whatever has to come will come. But don't wait for something to come. Your duty is to perform and do that.
    Education is the best ornament one can have: Education is very important for all human beings. This will give you value and you can go anywhere in the world and you will be respected by everyone for your knowledge. The only money which will increase as you spend more is your education.

drrao
    always confident

The Bible is a collection of books delving into history, guidance, poetry, judgment/mercy, prophecy (fulfilled and for future world events), way of life, discipleship, etc. as well as providing a direct individual link between man and Jesus. And of course, loaded with free choice. It is a book that tells you the God is come to you and not for you to go chasing and searching for God.

There are some very severe descriptions given in the Old Testament for wrongdoing, as well as instances of God's mercy. The whole book shows the god and bad deeds of all the famous Bible names like Samson or David or Solomon or Peter or Paul. It shows when these did wrong, they reaped the consequences, and when they did good, blessings. It shows all were ordinary men as you and me, and their choices. So there is hope for anyone.

An example of history: When the Egyptians ruled the (known) world, they were powerful and mighty because of their chariots and soldiers. When the Pharaoh (king of Egypt) lost pretty much his entire military when they chased after the fleeing Moses and Hebrews, on top of all the other losses from the other plagues described in the Bible history, his empire faded, and the Assyrians took over. Of course, we don't study this in school history, but here we have the details of the fall of the Egyptian empire.

Just picking out a few verses to prove negativity or only positivity is easy. One gets a better understanding reading up more and in context.

One can do good even without believing God, its okay, God doesn't get bent out of shape for that. He allows each person to choose however they decide. In any case, that is a matter between the person and God, and others can't judge them for it.

The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender. (Proverbs 22:7) – This is something we are never told when we take loans for whatever purpose. It is in plain language, 'servant'. But then we also see everyday the option to get loans in 5 minutes for every purpose possible. When we borrow, we are servants, and can become slaves soon. When a country borrows, it is the same thing. Working with God can deliver from this bondage, we can ask for divine guidance and/or intervention to pull us out of this sticky bondage and be set free.

Some of the verses from the bible are:

1. "Yea and a sword shall pierce through thine own soul, that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed". Luke 2: 35

Meaning: This is common for every parent as children are the first concern for any parents and if anything happens to them, he cannot bear it. It is the same as a double-edged sword piercing their hearts. Everyone knows that when a couple hears that they are going to become parents, the women carry the child in her womb whereas the man carries the child in his head/heart.

2. And the second is like, unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Matthew 22: 39

Meaning: This means that we should love everyone as we love ourself. Be kind, sharing, loving and give respect. It is explained with the parables of the good Samaritan, where he tells, who actually a neighbour is.

3. For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Matthew 6:14-15

Meaning: We all know that we commit wrong or sin in one or the other way and ask for forgiveness to our God. Her he says, we need to be of forgiving nature with the one who does wrong with us so as to seek forgiveness for our sins. If we cannot forgive the small mistakes, how can we ask God to forgive ours?

4. Make every effort to reconcile with your adversary while you are on your way to the magistrate. Otherwise, he may drag you off to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and the officer may throw you into prison. Luke 12:58

Meaning: It is always better to come to terms or settle our disputes out of court or to settle the matter out of court. If it reaches the court, it will keep on dragging, you will lose money, time and in the end, also face punishment.

5. "Beware of practising your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise, you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honoured by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing so that your giving will be in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you". Matthew 6:1-4

Meaning: We often see people giving away alms, food, clothes etc and posting the same on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, WhatsApp or other social media to get likes and catch attention. It tells us to do it silently without anyone knowing the good act we did.

{Edited. The author is advised to follow the guidelines and not to use HTML tags in the forum.}

“Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

I would like to quote from Thirukural, which is praised as Universal Veda(Ulaga podhumarai) and universal code of conduct, written by Thiruvalluvar. It has 1330 verses (Kural in Tamil), all are considered as sacred versus and undergone various researches in association with various subjects like science, medicine, psychology etc.

My favorite verse from Thirukural are below:

1. Iniya Ulavaga innadha kooral Kani irupa Kai Kavarndhu atru.
    Meaning: we have many sweet words/ sweet topics to speak, but if you choose to speak in the intention to hurt others, it will be considered like preferring to have bitter fruit to juicy fruit.

2. Yetru Yendru iranguva seiyarka, seivaanel, matranna seiyaamai nandru.
    One should not do things that will give him sorrows, if he has done, he / she should not be doing the same again.

How sweet! It is natural for us to make mistakes, So, he says, it is better if you have not done such things, but you did it, so the only way to correct it, not by doing it again. This best lesson learnt from a mistake is not to repeat it.

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

• Sign In to post your comments