You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

We should catch them really very young

A report published in a Tamil daily set me thinking. The report was about small children bringing two bottles of water from their residences. One is used for their drinking. Another is used for watering the plants in the open space of the Government school. This has been reported from a village in South Tamil Nadu.

What a superb practise. This should be emulated by all. While is about environmental awareness, there could be other noble causes that our members have seen or heard about in their own towns or native places. Please do share them here. On my part, I have shared this with a local school. When this town had some rains, the children have planted small neem plants. They are waiting for the July rains here and have promised to plant more trees.

How do we sensitize such small children, around five years old? Members may please give their ideas and experiences.
    I have also heard of school doing a similiar act. Here the children do not bring extra water,but the left out water from thier bottles is emptied in a container kept in the campus and the plants are watered. This way water.is not wasted and used well for growth of plants.
    Garbage disposal is a major problem in our cities and towns. The children in schools should be taught how to segregate the wet waste that is left over eatables etc and dry waste like paper and pencil sharpenings,plastic etc.
    This will help in proper disposable of waste, and the dry waste can be recycled, whereas the wet waste can be used as a manure for the growth of plants. This procedure can be followed at home too.
    This way we can have a clean and better environment.

I wish it were that simple; it isn't. There are roadblocks along the path, the efforts of well-meaning teachers and schools get bull-dozed by parents and society as a whole. As an educationist, I have worked in some of the best schools, where I have seen the best minds formulate plans to educate and sensitise children to be better citizens.

It is all perfect, but then the same children step into the real world and see the opposite happening. The school plans a 'say no to plastic' campaign, the parents at home refuse to join in. The school has lessons on following traffic rules; the parents break those rules while dropping the child to school. Stress is laid on kindness and sharing, not wasting food. Parents throw food into the trash. The 'save water' campaign is not implemented at home. The list is endless.

Our children become exposed to conflicting episodes; real-life lessons contradict the lessons learnt in school. One is theoretical, the other practical. They choose to follow their parents and the rest of the world.

We need to sensitise the parents. Real education begins with them. They have to unlearn stuff and do things the right way so that their children can look at them and imbibe those qualities. A child whose parents aren't bothered about the environment will never learn to appreciate and care for it. A child who sees his parent break a traffic rule, bribe the traffic cop, etc., will never learn to respect the law.

If you want to bring in change, begin with the parents. Let them lead by example. Parents most influence their children, involve them in every project.

'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

I agree with Jauna, but at least some step has to be taken somewhere and encouragement given, so that atleast a small percentage of people become aware of the rules that are to be followed. Today parents are quite educated and understand these values as they too face such problems. It cannot be an overnight afford, and nor it is easy but little efforts should be encouraged.

How much effective it is and how far practicable is this can be discussed. But the concept is good and at least it will give some awareness among the children about the importance of the nurturing the plants. At least for that, we should appreciate the school.

It is true that children will follow their parents and elders. If the parents don't care for rules and regulations, the children will also do the same. So parents should follow the concept and then children will follow the same. My wife in the house water the plants. My granddaughter will be with her during that time. By any chance oneday my wife is not going for watering my granddaughter will start asking her about the watering of plants.

That is why people say the first teacher for the kids is their parent. So discipline and good gestures should start from home.

drrao
    always confident

The author is very right that this type of good traits or hobbies are to be inculcated in the children right from beginning. Early age is best time for these sowing of the good seeds in our life. If such things can be taught to a larger number of children then the real benefits can be reaped by the society.

Even the grown ups are supposed to follow the suit and try such small things which cumulatively become a great help to the environment.

Knowledge is power.

Small steps are fine, but we need significant changes, and that requires participation and cooperation of adults. It is only with their support that the world can be made a better place. Often lessons learnt in school don't go beyond the premises. We need a system where the teachings can be practised and made into a habit.

Segregating waste is an excellent concept, but its purpose would be limited if it's not happening outside the school. To take the lessons forward, the child needs the right platform.

'Educated' is just a tag that people wear based on their formal education. It doesn't reflect in their attitude. Most adults remain irresponsible and lack civic sense and pass on the same values to their children.

Every child learns to stand in a queue; it's something that is practised for twelve straight years, fourteen or more if we count pre-school and kindergarten. And yet, we, as a people, are disorderly when it comes to maintaining queues, in the real world. Children will learn better if parents learn to wait for their turn and not break the line.

'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

Juana Madam is one hundred percent correct. Yes. The parents also need to change one hundred percent. I have also seen one atrocious thing -- if the Corporate Sector job teaches the individual dirty tricks, whether it is the mother or the father practices such as earning extra income in cash and not including it in taxable incomes becomes a habit; the child, who is sixteen learns such dirty tricks and emulates the parents with disastrous results. I just wrote what I read. Maybe, at least one child from among the forty will bring about social change. Yesterday, a local TV channel reported how one individual was able to convince the farmers in some village near Tirupur about water conservation methods. They cooperated and did it without Government support. I guess we need thousands who can bring about some social change

When talking about social change, a total paradigm shift occured in Tamil Nadu, decades ago. The Dravidian leaders might have several mistakes but they brought in the reservation for backward classes, far in excess of the mandatory fifty percent. This helped hundreds of thousands to go to colleges and polytecniques and engineering colleges. They have found employment in Chennai and other big cities. Those affected by reservation have gone to the NITs and IITs and IIMs and have gone abroad. Though this development is different from the focus of the thread, the point is that we need such massive social movements with very good leaders of high integrity.

Educating children is one thing and then bringing in these changes in society is the difficult part of the task. As other members have also opined that there is a contradiction in the life of children when they see opposite things being practiced by their parents and other society members. Nothing is going to improve if this paradox is not resolved.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments