You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Basic constitutional rights and law for a healthy tomorrow

We all have learned civic along with history as a part of curriculum in our school but is only an abridgment of the basic rights and duties of a citizen. There are many questions that arises when we hear about the political scenarios that are going on in our country. Many people don't know their basic rights, basic law and the duties of a citizen towards its country.
    - The basic rights of a citizen,
    - The basic duties of a citizen,
    - The basic function of central and state government, organisation or agencies,
    - The basic laws of the state or country (IPC).

Don't you think that it should be mandatory in schools to give proper knowledge on the constitution of India. The children should know the law of the land and country. It can be taught to them from basic(5th standard) to higher school(10th standard) as a compulsory subject which will help them know their basic rights, duties and responsibilities.

What is our members have to say?
    Indian Constitution is a compulsory subject in many universities at graduation level. It is also taught as part of Social science subject in schools. But it is studied only for the sake of clearing exams and forgotten later. So the purpose is not achieved. May be there is need to find out a different solution for this.

When I was in my high school studies I was studying Social Studies up to 10th class. In that, there are some chapters regarding the above points. What are the fundamental rights and responsibilities? What are the rights of a citizen? How the legislative bodies will be elected and what are the roles and responsibilities of these elected bodies? Local governance, Panchayat raj, state government and central government and their roles and responsibilities. All were studied there. But after 10th class, I left social studies and came to the science stream.
    I don't know whether there is any change in the syllabus now. As mentioned by the author one should some basic knowledge about the subjects mentioned by him and it is good in intermediate if a general studies paper is introduced and in that one can teach these issues. But the students are already overloaded and we should not strain them more and more.

drrao
    always confident

The contention of the author has merit but the students are overloaded so much that they do not know which subject they should give more importance. In social studies these things are covered but whether student give it cognisance or not as we are contemplating is the main worry. We are seeing it from the angle of a elder person but students are only seeing it as a matter of scoring in the exam so how to make children to understand the importance of these things is the burning questions for the parents as well as for the educationists today.
    Knowledge is power.

Schools can come up with topics for each class on constitutions, IPC, etc. It should be class wise and they can present themselves in front of class.
    Eg : Class 5th : Basic rights of a citizen
    Class 6th : Basic rights of a students
    Class 7th : Duties of a citizen towards country
    Class 8th : Normal IPC, we need to know
    Class 9th : IPC for sexual abuse
    Class 10th : Protection act

Every class will have 5 to 8 divisions and accordingly, they may cover the topic. Presentation can be class wise, so the children will be able to understand and even teachers, or lawyers can help them know more.

“Each day provides its own gifts.” —Marcus Aurelius

• Sign In to post your comments