You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Who named our planet Earth?

I was going through the Hindi names of the planets in our solar system when I realised that our Earth is not named after any day of the week nor after any god or goddess. I quickly searched on Google and found out that the name Earth is derived from both English and German words, 'eor(th)e/ertha' and 'erde', respectively. The words mean soil, ground or land. Later I came to know that it is the only planet that's not named after either a Greek or Roman god or goddess. I searched more and came to know that the exact names of people who named other planets in our solar system (except Uranus, Neptune and Pluto) are not known yet it is known that the Romans named them after their deities. But, no one knows who/which community/country named our planet.

Do members know anything regarding the name of our planet?
    The planets Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Venus, and Mercury have got names of Greek and Roman gods and goddesses.
    Mercury – Name of the Roman god of Travel
    Venus – Name of the Roman goddess of Love & Beauty
    Mars – Name of the Roman god of War
    Jupiter – Name of the king of Roman gods
    Saturn – Name of the Roman god of Agriculture
    Uranus – Name of the ancient Greek king of gods
    Neptune – Name of the Roman god of Sea
    Earth – The name derived from English & German – means the ground

Pluto – Name of the Roman god of the Underworld
    (This planet is classified as a dwarf planet in the year 2006. This planet is no more in the list of planets in the solar system)
    Dwarf planets are in the outer Solar System
    Dwarf planets are: Ceres, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake, Eris, Orcus, Quaoar, 2007 O10, and Sedna

"Cheruthulli Peruvellam"
    small drops make a mighty ocean

Very interesting. I never thought about this. After seeing this post I searched on the internet and couldn't find the name of the person who named this planet " earth".
    But this thread helped me a lot in learning about how the names of all the planet have come. I want to thank the author and Wilson Mathew for their valuable information about various planets.

drrao
    always confident

The names of the planets were based on Roman and Greek Gods or mythological figures. That time no other names were allowed by the influential people engaged in the Astronomy. As regards the name of Earth different countries or cultures had different words derived for it. For example in hindu mythology it is believed that king Prithu who was instrumental in maintaining the jungles and other natural habitats after the sudden anger of the mother Earth who ran away and disguised in form of a cow. It is said that Prithu did a a lot of developmental things for the betterment of our environment and pleased the Earth and thereafter the Earth was called as Prithvi in hindi language.
    Knowledge is power.

I feel that Adam and Eve came first on the earth and probably they might have named it. Because from there the actual population boom started and continuing too.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The names of things on Earth including Earth itself and others like mountain, river, forest, valley etc are named as per the cultures and societies in different parts of the world as per their languages. So it was a usual thing as happened with the other words in the language. However names of the other planets were based either on the Roman and Greek mythology or other mythologies like ours. In our mythology they are termed as Budh, Shukra, Mangal etc. So nomenclature will differ from one place to another.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments