You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Actors

How to do character development or introduction correctly

This is something that Gagan Ahari would do, as he is posting about tips for writing good. I've been writing fiction for a long time. I've written three parts a novel I was working on in ISC too. It is called Gladius. I wrote them when I was younger and dumber. With age, I'm coming to know more about the things I took for granted. Characters in your story. There is your protagonist. Antagonist. And loads of supporting characters to keep the plot moving. You can neglect supporting characters altogether if your lead and opposition are way too strong. But most stories need supporting characters.

1. Take reference from real life characters for your supporting characters. Notice how you yourself talk to vendors,fellow commuters, drivers, waiters, boss and colleagues etc. Impart points like these in your story to make conversations look real.
    2. It would really help if you could add jokes in a conversation your lead and support are having. Remember a funny original joke your friend told you and you laughed about it for hours.
    3. Show how intimate your lead is to different characters through his/her actions and words towards them. It is really important. Most amateur writers use supporting characters are plain canvases who are just there to assist lead. In real life, people have purposes in their life. Their lives don't revolve around you. Make sure you highlight that each character has a personal life too.
    Here is an example trying to encompass all above points.
    ["Ravi", Anand said while smoking is cigarette, "would you like to walk me home?". "Why?", Ravi laughed, "'Don't drink and walk' is a rule now? How will I drop you home? I am drunk too".
    "Ravi. I don't feel good. I keep remembering her face. I am losing control. You see that bridge ahead? I want to jump off it right now. Just the way her car fell into that river below the bridge. I want to drown to death just the way my wife did".
    Ravi started walking few steps forward and set destination in Google maps to Anand's home. Google maps spoke, "Take a right turn 200 meters ahead".]

I think that example conveys what I'm trying to explain. Anand is the protagonist of course. He's fighting with the fact that his wife is now dead for sometime. Ravi is his colleague probably. Ravi cracked a simple, stupid joke. Anand is facing issues, and Ravi is his immediate support now. But Ravi is not very close to Anand because he doesn't know his home's address. Ravi stayed silent like any other normal human would after listening to horrible thoughts of Anand. He set his phone to Anand's address and slowly started walking. I think we got a plenty of picture about Ravi's life and ways here.
    4. Give every character a fair share to support your lead. Because ultimately that is their purpose in the plot. Let them talk intelligently sometimes. Let them give advises sometimes. Let them fight sometimes. Let them win sometimes. Don't sacrifice the plot authenticity and character development for growth of your hero.

I hope I am clear in my explanation.
    happy to see a budding writer in you Aditya. Keep it up. All the best. Writing is an art and many people learn it, sharpen it and produce palatable products. As Aditya has rightly pointed out in his narration that the introduction of the characters one by one in the corresponding frame is an essential act of continuity to produce a good piece of interesting write up so that the curiosity of the reader is generated for the next frames as well the reader hopes an amusing story. When I read Jeffrey Archer for the first time I was astonished with the dexterity of his plots and the climax of the story in the last paragraphs. Later I found that all the successful writers do that and the basic mantra is the reader should glue to your narration till last.
    Knowledge is power.

Every story has to have main characters and in the process of introducing the main characters, the side and sub-characters should also be introduced gradually. A good story should always have the narration of glorious characters, the villains, and the tantrums of those who are supposed to be the followers of the main characters. Like in the movie, the story does have a hero and heroine and also the spoilers behind them. And who can forget about the side heroes and the comedians and the same way the story writing should also have the good improvisation and character building.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The author has given a good account of developing characters in a story and its relevance to the theme. I have some interest in story writing and I understand that it requires skills to thread the story elements together.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

It is really helpful I believe. Character development is necessary. As the author said we all have a purpose in life so yeah even if there are characters who do not have a lead role, their part must be given considerable weight. It is the key to making a story successful. It was worth reading.
    Make love to life before it divorces you.

Good presentation by the author. It is good learning for the members like me on ISC. He has given the importance of introducing various characters in the story. How we should elevate some characters during the process of writing a story. People who see various movies with an analytical thinking can understand these aspects very well. In some stories, the main characters will themselves provide the fun required. In some stories, we may introduce some additional characters to see that the story will have some fun. As we get more experience in writing we will understand various techniques and ways to build the story.
    drrao
    always confident

Characterisation forms the basic cores tone to a plot. Weak and discreet characters can never do something good for a plot.

Before even starting to write . It is necessary to spend considerable amount of time on building characters. It would do no harm to scribble a few extra number of pages for a Character sketch. It will actually save your time and energy while the actual writing. Be it a novel ,a screenplay or short stories,a good character will not only add to a plot but also make it easy for the writer to actually build a plot. From the point of view of screenplay , characterisation paves the path towards great scenes and dialogues.

Knowing your character is important. According to Lajos Egrie,creating a three dimensional character is the key. The writer has to think about the physical, social and psychological aspects of the character . All those information which will not be written in a script or a novel, also should be known by the writer,no matter how petty or unimportant those details look at the primary stage . These details will provide a deep insight on how to actually portray a character onscreen or in books.

It can be concluded the part of fiction writing known as "Character sketch " cannot be eliminated . The time and energy spent on this process will surely give excellent results

Every character in a story, novel, drama, movie and real-life plays a very vital and distinct role. Everyone has a purpose as the writer has mentioned in his post and everyone will teach us something. It is not always good but even bad or bitter. Some character teaches you to trust, some to fight, some to laugh, some to play, some to learn and some to admire. Everyone that we meet has some special purpose which help us grow while we move in our life. A stab on the back teaches us a lesson so also a kiss on the cheek, a quarrel with a friend or family member and a party with a friend, the business of the manager teaches us something while the humbles of the lower worker gives a relief. Every character plays their own role and when looked deeply, provides us with something that leads to the final of the climax of the story.

As you mentioned, you have completed 3 parts of a story, your writings clearly indicates your interest in friction writing and it is good that you are learning every day. As mentioned, you have really grown from the so-called young and dumber to a professional writer. Keep of taking advantage of the content posted by our members and let it nourish you to become a known friction writer.

“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.