Looking for NEET / JEE Coaching? Enquire Now
You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Happy Bhogi! - convey your greetings to all in this thread

Sankranthi is a three-day festival celebrated by all Telugu people. The first day of Sankranti is Bhogi. On this day early in the morning people burn garlands of cow dung cakes, waste wooden logs, waste paper, waste tyres in open place by gathering together to drive away cold. Ladies colorful rangolis in front of their houses. Family members take a head bath and wear new clothes. With new rice and jaggery, Pongal will be prepared and will be offered to God. Then it will be served as Prasadam. On this day special dishes will be prepared to serve for the special Bhogi festive dinner. In the evening ladies gathering will be arranged in the house to celebrate small babies with Bhogi pandlu i.e. small children will be blessed by elders by pouring Regu fruits along with coins on their heads. Elders bless in this way so that these baby children will prosper with health and wealth throughout their lives. I think Tamils celebrate this day as Pongal as they also prepare Pongal with new rice and jaggery. Once again I wish a happy Bhogi and Pongal celebrations.
    Bhogi is the first festival of series of festivities lined up for Sankranthi and on this day the people would make a bonfire of unwanted things and consign them to the flames so that new things are acquired from the Sankranthi day which is slated from tomorrow. The festivities gather lots of attention and active participation in the villages as whole of India is now enjoying the village atmosphere and to combat heavy chillness during this time the bonfire would be so soothing and warm. My best wishes and congrats to all those who are celebrating Bhogi today across the world.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Sankranti is a time when in our country one or other festival is observed in different states in slightly different ways. Wherever we go we find some particular festival being enjoyed by the people. Bhogi as detailed in the thread is one such occasion and I wish all the good time to the people celebrating this.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Wishing everyone a happy Bihu, Lohri, Makar Sankranti, and Pongal as per the festival you celebrate. Have a joyous celebration with family and friends.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Wishing everyone and their family a happy Makar Sankranti, Bihu, Lohri and Pongal. Let this festival help everyone to celebrate, joy and happiness. Let this festive season add color and bonding among every family member.
    Varghese
    Limit your "alway's" and your "never's." - Amy Poehler??

As usual this year also I came to my native place for this festival. There is a Ganapathi temple near our house. Today I and my wife performed Ganapathi Pooja, Abhisekham and Homam.A completely satisfied man with that pooja program. No breakfast today. After the pooja is over around 2 PM we had our lunch. Because of that pooja programme, I couldn't open the internet from the morning. Just now I opened.

I convey my best wishes to all the members of ISC a happy and enthusiastic Bhopi festival. Today morning our brothers arranged a campfire in our street. Many children brought and dropped cow dung cake garlands in this fire. Today the same photos are getting circulated in WhatsApp.

drrao
    always confident

Happy to know that the first day of the Sankranti time is celebrated as Bhogi in Andhra Pradesh. From state to state this time is a time to celebrate albeit in different names. Most of the places this is known as Makar Sankranti. I wish all the members a happy Pongal, Lohri, Bhogi and Makar Sankranti and wish them a fulfilling satisfied puja time during the auspicious week. In Hindu mythology there is a specific reason of celebrating a festival at a specified time of the year and I wish that we all continue to observe them at their specified times for realising the religious and spiritual benefits embedded in them.
    Knowledge is power.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.