Looking for NEET / JEE Coaching? Enquire Now
You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

It been Sankranti festival, who all flew a kite yesterday

To say the truth, I didn't get to fly any kites, but got to see a lot many of them being flown by others, both by kids as well as adults. It was a pleasant winter morning yesterday at Hyderabad and there was a good amount of breeze too that helped all the kite lovers to fly their kites high up in the air. It was a wonderful sight, with so many colourful kites jostling for space in the crowded sky. From morning till evening, I could see someone or the other busy with their kites, some able to fly them high and others, especially the small kids failing to get their kites to take off.

Though, I didn't try my hands with the kites, but did enjoy the occasion by savouring on some homemade delicacies. These are called 'pitha' and are very popular at every Bengali home during the Sankranti festival. Mainly made of rice flour, there are more than a dozen varieties of pitha. You won't find these traditional sweets at any shop, not even in Bengal, as these are especially made during this harvest festival and at home only. And yes, pithas are popular in Assam and Odisha too.
    Attaching a pic of few of the pithas that were prepared at our home.
    Patience and perseverance pays

Delete Attachment

No. I could not even sight a kite in my area. Kite flying is not practised during the Pongal festival. It is not a culture in our area. We make Pongal in the open space in front of our home, eat and rest. The next day is Kaanum Pongal, and we carry packed lunch and move out from the home to picnic spots to spend the day joyfully.
    No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments